Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Gurth  
#21 Posted : Friday, March 22, 2019 12:24:08 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 124 time(s) in 99 post(s)
First outing with Power Pro re-equipped…

Was going to bigger water so took a bass rod – for me, a med light 6'6" with 20 lb – and my two heavier trout rods as well as a couple of ULs just in case.

Well the bigger water was still turbid and cold but I tried it anyway. Was windy and PP is like throwing a canvass, so had to try and adjust to it and play the wind and make shorter casts. A couple on PMs were hopelessly entangled in line, but I just cut them off and put on new ones. The Raps somehow stayed clean.

No lost lures.

No fish either so headed to a smaller stream and grabbed the ULs. 5 footer with 10lb PP and 4'8" one still equipped with 6lb mono.

A couple casts in and the PP equipped rod ended up with the line tangled under the spool in by the gears. Put it in the holster after a bit of swearing and proceeded to catch maybe 8 browns on the mono – love that little rod by btw – especially on small water. Every fish feels big and it can handle actual large fish just fine.

PP Grade: incomplete

Clearly, line management/awareness will have to be something that I focus on getting better at. Slack line seems to be the enemy when it comes to PP.

Also, will need to have my readers along so I can deal with the smaller tangles. Can't see for shit anymore anything that is within two feet of my face.

Was pleased to be able to pull my lures out of tangles that would have broken them off on mono.

I like the Palomar knot as it's easy for someone who can't see closeup very well. Would this knot be good for mono or better than a clinch?

Edited by user Friday, March 22, 2019 12:28:30 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

“Harvest eaters... release trophies.” -Gurth
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
Hoggies  
#22 Posted : Friday, March 22, 2019 4:01:19 PM(UTC)
Hoggies

Man
United States

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 13 post(s)
In my experience, tying a palomar on mono is tricky because of the pulling through part... Gotta keep it wet so it doesn't get a weak spot. Supposedly it holds up, though.
s.t.fanatic  
#23 Posted : Friday, March 22, 2019 4:56:35 PM(UTC)
s.t.fanatic

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
I have no problem with that knot on mono. I use the double all the time when attaching a duolock snap.

A question for you and your PP problems. Did you add or remove any washers from below your spool? It without a doubt spools different and you will benefit by adding or removing a washer/shim or two.
NBrevitz  
#24 Posted : Friday, March 22, 2019 7:25:54 PM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 55 time(s) in 46 post(s)
I run P-Line Fluoro and always use a palomar knot. It holds up infinitely better than a clinch.
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
NBrevitz  
#25 Posted : Friday, March 22, 2019 7:45:53 PM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Gurth, if you aren’t sold on power pro, I love the casting performance of the P-Line Fluoro. It’s strong as hell too. Not power pro strong but I’ve landed some fish that should’ve more than overpowered 8 lb test.
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
Gurth  
#26 Posted : Friday, March 22, 2019 7:51:26 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Thanks all.

Nick - I’ve only ever lost a couple fish to the breaking me off. All of my largest trout and pike and a 38 inch musky last year were on 10lb mono XL at the heaviest.

My issue that I’m trying to correct is solely the losing of lures. It’s stunning when I think about how many I’ve lost to snags. No more!
NBrevitz  
#27 Posted : Friday, March 22, 2019 9:39:59 PM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Originally Posted by: Gurth Go to Quoted Post
Thanks all.

Nick - I’ve only ever lost a couple fish to the breaking me off. All of my largest trout and pike and a 38 inch musky last year were on 10lb mono XL at the heaviest.

My issue that I’m trying to correct is solely the losing of lures. It’s stunning when I think about how many I’ve lost to snags. No more!

I’ve definitely lost more than that. 90% of the time it’s Salmon on light gear in low clear water or Pike on mono when I’m fishing for something else.

It’s a trade off. The first time I went with Ron, I lost two baits to snags, he lost none and snagged up plenty of times. He had power pro and I had P-Line. On the flip side, he had a reel snafu that took him 10 minutes to fix, while I pulled out a Trout every other cast from a nice deep run. We caught probably 140 fish that day, so it wasn’t all bad😂.
rschmidt  
#28 Posted : Saturday, March 23, 2019 10:59:58 AM(UTC)
rschmidt

Was thanked: 51 time(s) in 44 post(s)
What a day that was Nick, still the number 1 video in the history of WTF! But Sasquatch is coming for ya. He may catch up in a few years, but you'll still be taller. LOL! He is still behind at least 3 MC engine assembly videos. Ron
Gurth  
#29 Posted : Monday, March 25, 2019 2:27:21 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

So here's a question about PP…

I'm finding that the trout seem to be less likely to set themselves on the PP. Could just be cold water lethargic fish, but a few got off and it seems like I didn't feel them in time to react.

This isn't a big problem as I'll get used to it. Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this.

On the bright side, I didn't lose any lures and pulled up a bowling ball sized root ball that had to weigh almost 15 pounds and a large old barn board that unfortunately fell off the hook at the shore or I would have taken it home.
rschmidt  
#30 Posted : Monday, March 25, 2019 4:58:42 PM(UTC)
rschmidt

Was thanked: 51 time(s) in 44 post(s)
Hmm, I would say the opposite is my experience. With zero stretch, the braid seems ultra sensitive vs.other line types. Maybe your hook was dull.
hahaha. R