Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

6 Pages«<23456>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Guillermo  
#31 Posted : Friday, April 27, 2018 12:39:32 AM(UTC)
Guillermo

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 20 post(s)
Originally Posted by: 3fe Go to Quoted Post
I had a DNR fish biologistics tell me once, "They should give out a wildlife management degree with every license sold." After reading these posts, now I understand what he meant.
As for the regs being too complicated, get a 10 year old to explain them to you.

I don't think I purported to have a degree in wildlife management or credentials as a biologist.

As for the regulations, I'm not saying they're so complicated as to be not understandable. In fact they're perfectly understandable provided you can read. The point I'm making is the changes in the area I talked about earlier did nothing to simplify anything, which I thought was the reason for the changes anyway. Apparently not... Could have done without your condescension regarding the reading the regulations.

I have respect for those who have degrees in wildlife management and biologists who work tirelessly to take care of our waters and wildlife.

That doesn't discount all the hours I've spent on the stream and the experience I've gained by trout fishing since I could walk.

For example, when we were assured that the 15 day WI inland trout season extension wouldn't interfere with northern brook trout spawning, as they don't spawn until mid to late October. I and others immediately disproved that. For 5 years in a row I have observed and documented brook trout in full spawning mode between September 28th and October 15th on upwards of 50 different waters throughout 5 different counties.

Kinda renders those assurances invalid, doesn't it?

I spend more days on the water than many and nearly as many as a lot of experts. In fact, the variety of waters I visit is greater. That I know for a fact.

So again, I respect the hell out of them and what they do. Doesn't change the fact that sometimes regular citizens can be and are just as knowledgeable about trout and the places they live.
thanks 1 user thanked Guillermo for this useful post.
s.t.fanatic on 4/27/2018(UTC)
Gurth  
#32 Posted : Friday, April 27, 2018 1:17:54 AM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 47 time(s) in 35 post(s)
I had a DNR fish biologistics tell me once, "They should give out a wildlife management degree with every license sold."

Laugh

They should indeed.

I have one that I occasionally correspond with and he has to as part of his job answer inquiries. Our threads always end with him not commenting on whatever I said last.

Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh

I'm never giving advice or criticism... just letting him know what I found here or there.

Can't imagine how many fishermen much worse than me that they have to deal with.

Too bad! You signed up for it.

Flapper Flapper Flapper

Laugh
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
madguy30  
#33 Posted : Friday, April 27, 2018 2:53:53 AM(UTC)
madguy30

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Guillermo Go to Quoted Post
I had a DNR fish biologistics tell me once, "They should give out a wildlife management degree with every license sold." After reading these posts, now I understand what he meant.
As for the regs being too complicated, get a 10 year old to explain them to you.

I don't think I purported to have a degree in wildlife management or credentials as a biologist.

As for the regulations, I'm not saying they're so complicated as to be not understandable. In fact they're perfectly understandable provided you can read. The point I'm making is the changes in the area I talked about earlier did nothing to simplify anything, which I thought was the reason for the changes anyway. Apparently not... Could have done without your condescension regarding the reading the regulations.

I have respect for those who have degrees in wildlife management and biologists who work tirelessly to take care of our waters and wildlife.

That doesn't discount all the hours I've spent on the stream and the experience I've gained by trout fishing since I could walk.

For example, when we were assured that the 15 day WI inland trout season extension wouldn't interfere with northern brook trout spawning, as they don't spawn until mid to late October. I and others immediately disproved that. For 5 years in a row I have observed and documented brook trout in full spawning mode between September 28th and October 15th on upwards of 50 different waters throughout 5 different counties.

I spend more days on the water than many and nearly as many as a lot of experts. In fact, the variety of waters I visit is greater. That I know for a fact.

So again, I respect the hell out of them and what they do. Doesn't change the fact that sometimes regular citizens can be and are just as knowledgeable about trout and the places they live.

I'm not even close to an expert but I know enough that my observations are that streams that were just fine and had PLENTY of fish were 'improved' and now I see less fish and less enjoyable spots to cast a fly rod. I'd like to know the rationale behind the changes beyond making it easier to fish.
thanks 1 user thanked madguy30 for this useful post.
s.t.fanatic on 4/27/2018(UTC)
s.t.fanatic  
#34 Posted : Friday, April 27, 2018 3:41:28 PM(UTC)
s.t.fanatic

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Originally Posted by: madguy30 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Guillermo Go to Quoted Post

I'm not even close to an expert but I know enough that my observations are that streams that were just fine and had PLENTY of fish were 'improved' and now I see less fish and less enjoyable spots to cast a fly rod. I'd like to know the rationale behind the changes beyond making it easier to fish.

I was told by a high up MN DNR employee that H.I. work is done for the fisherman and not the fish. This is of course not true in all cases and he didn't mean it that way.
Commish78  
#35 Posted : Friday, April 27, 2018 10:59:03 PM(UTC)
Commish78

Man

A lot of the small to medium size driftless streams I fish are overpopulated with native brown trout, most of them under 12"--far more than 20-30 years back. I'd like to see the regulations loosened to allow more harvest of browns, perhaps that would help increase the number of large fish. I like to keep and eat a few 10-12" fish. I do think the eating quality varies, and is influenced by the stream size, water quality and diet. There are many streams where I know the trout consistently taste great and some where they taste like crap.

To keep them fresh I use an "artic creel" and clean them with the "30 second method" when I get back to my vehicle (I do like to examine the stomach contents to see what they have been eating lately). I always take a cooler with ice and the fish stay quite fresh for a day or more.

shebs  
#36 Posted : Friday, April 27, 2018 11:18:44 PM(UTC)
shebs

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Originally Posted by: winonaflyfactory Go to Quoted Post

No you don't. The CO for Winona County in MN specifically said that I was good to dispose of the guts in "a manner that wouldn't offend other anglers or the property owner." The CO is Tom Hemker.

That's interesting...MN regulations state (page 37) that it is illegal to dispose of fish guts "into public waters or onto stream shores"
A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. ~Author Unknown
Modern Translation, with respect for the Notorious B.I.G. : "Fuck Money, Get Fishes"
AKinMN  
#37 Posted : Saturday, April 28, 2018 2:52:49 PM(UTC)
AKinMN

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

Seriously. However, you've got to keep in mind that we aren't always dealing with top of the gene pool in Wisco. 😃
Guillermo  
#38 Posted : Sunday, April 29, 2018 2:35:39 AM(UTC)
Guillermo

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 20 post(s)
Originally Posted by: AKinMN Go to Quoted Post

Seriously. However, you've got to keep in mind that we aren't always dealing with top of the gene pool in Wisco. 😃

Good one.
winonaflyfactory  
#39 Posted : Sunday, April 29, 2018 3:07:37 AM(UTC)
winonaflyfactory

Was thanked: 28 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Originally Posted by: shebs Go to Quoted Post

No you don't. The CO for Winona County in MN specifically said that I was good to dispose of the guts in "a manner that wouldn't offend other anglers or the property owner." The CO is Tom Hemker.

That's interesting...MN regulations state (page 37) that it is illegal to dispose of fish guts "into public waters or onto stream shores"

So when I asked he said that from his perspective the places where disposal of that type of material is a problem is where others take notice primarily due to smell. He asked that I dispose of the remains in a place that wouldn’t be noticeable by others or offend others. Common sense here, not hard to make sure that others don’t notice a 12in brown trout gut line, it’s not that big just don’t leave it right on the stream and don’t stack a bunch of them up so that if they last long enough to rot that they stink. Digging a small hole off the stream bank isn’t hard.
AKinMN  
#40 Posted : Sunday, April 29, 2018 3:36:53 AM(UTC)
AKinMN

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Originally Posted by: shebs Go to Quoted Post

So when I asked he said that from his perspective the places where disposal of that type of material is a problem is where others take notice primarily due to smell. He asked that I dispose of the remains in a place that wouldn’t be noticeable by others or offend others. Common sense here, not hard to make sure that others don’t notice a 12in brown trout gut line, it’s not that big just don’t leave it right on the stream and don’t stack a bunch of them up so that if they last long enough to rot that they stink. Digging a small hole off the stream bank isn’t hard.

Yet the regs specifically state you can't do that.