Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
MNTrout68  
#1 Posted : Thursday, April 26, 2018 6:38:04 PM(UTC)
MNTrout68

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Is there a place to find maps of public land and/or easements on WI trout water? I'm looking for something like this: https://www.dnr.state.mn...reams/south_mn_maps.html

Thanks!
Sponsor
shebs  
#2 Posted : Thursday, April 26, 2018 6:55:40 PM(UTC)
shebs

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 22 post(s)
WI public access lands

This interactive map is awesome, but not necessarily comprehensive (I've found posted easements not on the map).
A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. ~Author Unknown
Modern Translation, with respect for the Notorious B.I.G. : "Fuck Money, Get Fishes"
JGF  
#3 Posted : Thursday, April 26, 2018 9:02:38 PM(UTC)
JGF

Man
United States

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 14 post(s)
The Wisconsin TROUT tool is another good one (similar to the one posted above).

https://dnr.wi.gov/topic/fishing/trout/TROUT.html

I don't know of any sources that have all public easements in one place. Wisconsin has a bunch between those held by the state, sports clubs, land trusts, counties, and other groups. Wish there was a good, "one stop shop" for that information.
shebs  
#4 Posted : Friday, April 27, 2018 12:13:23 AM(UTC)
shebs

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 22 post(s)
That is true - county and township lands are not listed on either of those. County owned snowmobile trails allow access to a surprising number of streams, and the only place I've ever found those is on the county plat maps.
A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. ~Author Unknown
Modern Translation, with respect for the Notorious B.I.G. : "Fuck Money, Get Fishes"
MNTrout68  
#5 Posted : Friday, April 27, 2018 3:37:14 PM(UTC)
MNTrout68

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Interesting. On the one hand, it would be great to have all the data in one place, but on the other hand, I don't mind that it takes a little work to find spots.

On that topic, is there a good hyper-local guidebook for the Wisconsin Driftless, comparable to Van Vliet's Southeast MN book? (This one)

I have the books listed below, and they're all ok, but they all tend toward the broad survey end of the spectrum, and I would love more specific info and lore on West Central and Southwest WI.

Exploring Wisconsin Trout Streams: The Angler's Guide; Born, Mayers, Morton, Sonzongni

Flyfisher's Guide to Wisconsin; Motoviloff

Trout Streams of Wisconsin and Minnesota: An Angler's Guide to More Than 120 Rivers and Streams; Humphrey, Shogren
draik11  
#6 Posted : Friday, April 27, 2018 4:31:45 PM(UTC)
draik11

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 9 post(s)
Improved Trout Waters of Wisconsin by Todd Hansen shows comprehensive easements, both at the state and county level. He also has GPS points of access points and stream improvements. It's a very handy book.

https://www.amazon.com/Improved-...ded-Second/dp/0980219426

thanks 1 user thanked draik11 for this useful post.
MNTrout68 on 4/30/2018(UTC)
wibirdhunter  
#7 Posted : Friday, April 27, 2018 9:41:40 PM(UTC)
wibirdhunter

Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Anybody who hunts and fishes on public land and doesn’t have one of the gps chips or apps to show all the public land and their location is really making everything more difficult than it need to be.
William Schlafer  
#8 Posted : Sunday, April 29, 2018 3:43:05 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 99 time(s) in 85 post(s)
I've seen plenty of errors in books, maps and websites regarding public lands and easements around the DA in Wisconsin. A good example are the boundaries of the Kickapoo Valley Reserve and Wildcat Mountain Park. Some of the boundaries shown on maps are simply incorrect. It happens that folks who think they're fishing in the KVR are actually on private land, or on park property (which requires a permit).

Some stream bank easements are barely published at all. Same with county forests and other publicly accessible lands. I've tried contacting county offices directly for information and was surprised to find there was no one with the information. I've even run into land owners who were unaware of easements in their area. Signage marking public access has a habit of disappearing. Ingress and egress points are often confusing or not shown at all on maps.

It sure seems like it would be in everyone's best interest if someone (WDNR?) would put together a comprehensive list or website of all public lands. The WDNR Public Lands mapping websites are nice, but are not complete, or always accurate for fishing. From what I've seen, Iowa and Minnesota do a better job of publishing this information. It might be a case of competing interests and politics keeping this from happening in Wisconsin.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
thanks 1 user thanked William Schlafer for this useful post.
MNTrout68 on 4/30/2018(UTC)