Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Spins with dog  
#1 Posted : Thursday, May 3, 2018 9:24:10 PM(UTC)
Spins with dog

United States

I'm currently using 4 lb power pro with a Seagur fluoro 6 lb leader and quick snaps but I want to switch to all flouro or all hybrid and start tying directly to the lure. Any personal favorites?
Sponsor
OTC_MN  
#2 Posted : Thursday, May 3, 2018 11:07:18 PM(UTC)
OTC_MN

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Good discussion on the subject here: Line choice thread
"Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish."
- Roderick Haig-Brown
NBrevitz  
#3 Posted : Friday, May 4, 2018 12:36:16 AM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 26 post(s)
P-Line Fluoro Coated 8 lb. I love it. It’s picky about your knot of choice however.
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
Jumpsuit  
#4 Posted : Saturday, May 5, 2018 1:57:46 PM(UTC)
Jumpsuit

Man

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Originally Posted by: NBrevitz Go to Quoted Post
P-Line Fluoro Coated 8 lb. I love it. It’s picky about your knot of choice however.

I've used this for the last 2 years and love it too. Super strong , doesn't even break easily when I get snagged in a branch. Almost never get tangles or birds nests and seems to have no memory . What knot so you prefer NBrevitz?
NBrevitz  
#5 Posted : Sunday, May 6, 2018 6:25:22 PM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 26 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Jumpsuit Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: NBrevitz Go to Quoted Post

I've used this for the last 2 years and love it too. Super strong , doesn't even break easily when I get snagged in a branch. Almost never get tangles or birds nests and seems to have no memory . What knot so you prefer NBrevitz?

It depends on the guage of the wire on the spinner. For Salmon, I’ll always do a palomar knot. It’s better than any clinch or trilene knot, and fluorocarbon slips a bit easier to begin with. If I’m using the 6 lb, I always run a palomar. If I’m catching a bunch of small-medium sized Trout, I’ll run a clinch knot if I’m rocking 8 lb.
And yes, there’s no memory and it sinks like a rock, so you can run small presentations like jigs much more efficiently. The only area where this is an issue is float fishing for Salmon or Steelhead, but it makes great leader material in that sense!
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."