Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Hoggies  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, May 9, 2018 4:04:11 PM(UTC)
Hoggies

Man
United States

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
So, in buying a bunch of fly fishing stuff with a Cabela's gift card, I picked up a 7' airflo trout slow sink polyleader. I finally got it out for about 90 minutes last week and did some casting (I managed a couple follows and one take, which I missed, on a white zonker, but it was high noon with clear water).

Rigging:

9' 6wt st Croix pro graphite rod. Looped the leader onto my fly line (Cabela's three forks). Tied a surgeon's loop in the mono at the leader tip. Surgeon's looped a 20" piece of 8lb vanish for tippet. Put a snap on that because I'm lazy. I'll probably use a tippet ring in lieu of the loop in the future (I'm definitely getting at least one of the faster-sinking models) and do away with the snap.

Performance:

It seemed like I was managing more distance than with a normal leader. I assume it's the extra weight helping with loading. In the water it behaves as expected and I didn't have any trouble getting my zonker down near the bottom in some bank undercuts that I know are 6-7' deep if I cast to the top of then and let it swing in. That said, it also got down slowly enough that I didn't have any issues with snagging. I've seen other reviewers complain about issues with hinging, but the small amount of that I did experience was poor form on my part.
Sponsor