Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
weiliwen  
#11 Posted : Saturday, May 12, 2018 7:38:22 PM(UTC)
weiliwen

Man
United States

Was thanked: 23 time(s) in 18 post(s)
I'd return it, because like others have said, you want to load the rod for a better cast, even for a short "driftless" distance.

Until then, What Trapper says: Go to Walmart and get some cheap Cortland line in the correct weight that you can later use as a backup.

If your reel won't take it all, just cut the last 15 feet or so off.
Bob Williams, "Weiliwen"
William Schlafer  
#12 Posted : Sunday, May 13, 2018 3:09:31 AM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 75 time(s) in 65 post(s)
Thanks for all the feedback guys! Much appreciated.

I'm not sure when I'll have a chance to actually try this out on stream. But today I took the rod out to the yard to cast it around a bit with the 3W line and wasn't that happy with the performance. Seemed to lack the power of the old line (it was Airflo I believe). It was taking a bit more arm action to get the leader to roll out properly. I switched over to some old 4W Cortland 333 that I had lying around. This line is much thinner in diameter and a bit harder than any other line I've used. Seemed to load up OK on the 4W rod and after a little adjustment to my back cast I was seeing better results and accuracy.

I think I'll go with the Cortland for the next couple outings but I'll be picking up either some 4W Rio Mainstream or perhaps Orvis Clearwater for when hopper season rolls around. The Cortland is missing a welded loop and I wasn't able to tie a perfection loop on it small enough to slide through the tip eye comfortably. A welded loop is much handier when swapping out leaders.

I like the Echo Ion reel well enough, with the exception of the noticeable clickity clack when playing out or reeling in line. Wish I could turn that off.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
thanks 1 user thanked William Schlafer for this useful post.
NBrevitz on 5/13/2018(UTC)
weiliwen  
#13 Posted : Sunday, May 13, 2018 2:03:35 PM(UTC)
weiliwen

Man
United States

Was thanked: 23 time(s) in 18 post(s)
Yeah, I'm not personally a fan of loud clicks on my fly reel. I got rid of my Sage 106M fly reel because of that.
Bob Williams, "Weiliwen"
Guillermo  
#14 Posted : Monday, May 14, 2018 4:19:37 AM(UTC)
Guillermo

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 20 post(s)
Originally Posted by: weiliwen Go to Quoted Post
I'd return it, because like others have said, you want to load the rod for a better cast, even for a short "driftless" distance.

Until then, What Trapper says: Go to Walmart and get some cheap Cortland line in the correct weight that you can later use as a backup.

If your reel won't take it all, just cut the last 15 feet or so off.

Yep. Can even go the Double Taper route, which allows you to cut a 90 foot fly line in half and have two identical 45 footers.