Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
NBrevitz  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, May 15, 2018 6:32:42 AM(UTC)
NBrevitz
Rank: Super Fly

Joined: 3/16/2013(UTC)
Posts: 1,361
Man
Location: Lake Elmo, Mn

Thanks: 49 times
Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 30 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Vilas15 Go to Quoted Post
Sounds like I'll stick with trebles and maybe upsize. Have been using 0/1 mepps but will try #2 mepps. I'll just have to deal with the snags. Maybe I'll get a couple single hook versions or fasten them myself just to try but it doesn't sound like they're as good as I thought they'd be.


Mepps do work, but I really prefer Panther Martins or Blue Fox Vibrax. They sink like a rock. Ron on here makes his own spinners and they’re outstanding.
If you’re tired of snags, you can downsize the treble as well.
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
OTC_MN  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, May 15, 2018 1:26:44 PM(UTC)
OTC_MN
Rank: Caddis Fly

Joined: 3/18/2016(UTC)
Posts: 203
Location: St Paul MN

Thanks: 4 times
Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 17 post(s)
A little late to the conversation, but, FWIW...

Singles hook fine, but longer shank singles do snag up a lot more. The blade will kind of deflect the spinner away from snags, but when the hook point is a ways past the blade, you lose that advantage. The blade clears the obstruction and the point hits it clean - something I learned guiding pike in Alaska where we were single hook only, and fished some lakes in the Kaiyhu Flats had a lot of weeds and wood. So you might want to look at a short shank, wide gap single vs. a longer shank Aberdeen. Looking at what I had laying around, I bet an Owner Mosquito hook would be about ideal. Owner Mosquito Hook

This got me to thinking. Have any of you tried small crappie-size spinnerbaits, like these? I've used them in lakes with trout in the fall after turnover, slow-rolling them over the tops of weeds, and they never hang up. Sometimes little fish will just bite the blades, but bigger fish woof the whole thing. But I've never tried them in a stream for some reason.
"Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish."
- Roderick Haig-Brown
Vilas15  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, May 15, 2018 4:59:08 PM(UTC)
Vilas15
Rank: Midge

Joined: 5/11/2018(UTC)
Posts: 6
United States

Originally Posted by: NBrevitz Go to Quoted Post
Mepps do work, but I really prefer Panther Martins or Blue Fox Vibrax. They sink like a rock. Ron on here makes his own spinners and they’re outstanding.
If you’re tired of snags, you can downsize the treble as well.


I have tried a vibrax but it seemed like it had to move way faster than the mepps to get the blade spinning, I had trouble keeping up with it with my small reel. I do want to get some Panther Martins to try out.

Originally Posted by: OTC_MN Go to Quoted Post
A little late to the conversation, but, FWIW...

Singles hook fine, but longer shank singles do snag up a lot more. The blade will kind of deflect the spinner away from snags, but when the hook point is a ways past the blade, you lose that advantage. The blade clears the obstruction and the point hits it clean - something I learned guiding pike in Alaska where we were single hook only, and fished some lakes in the Kaiyhu Flats had a lot of weeds and wood. So you might want to look at a short shank, wide gap single vs. a longer shank Aberdeen. Looking at what I had laying around, I bet an Owner Mosquito hook would be about ideal. Owner Mosquito Hook

This got me to thinking. Have any of you tried small crappie-size spinnerbaits, like these? I've used them in lakes with trout in the fall after turnover, slow-rolling them over the tops of weeds, and they never hang up. Sometimes little fish will just bite the blades, but bigger fish woof the whole thing. But I've never tried them in a stream for some reason.


Good point about the single hook size/type. I'll keep that in mind. Never tried a small spinnerbait but maybe worth a shot.

shebs  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, May 15, 2018 5:20:42 PM(UTC)
shebs
Rank: Stone Fly

Joined: 5/12/2014(UTC)
Posts: 922
Location: Mpls

Thanks: 4 times
Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 22 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Vilas15 Go to Quoted Post


I have tried a vibrax but it seemed like it had to move way faster than the mepps to get the blade spinning, I had trouble keeping up with it with my small reel. I do want to get some Panther Martins to try out.



PMs are hands down the best IMO. My only beef is that the wire they're built on is cheap, and they bend after one decent fish.

I love the vibrax ones, but you're right about them. I rebuild them to make them heavier so they sink even faster LOL
The trick is to rip em once with the rod to get the blade cranking, and then it'll keep spinning at low speed.
A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. ~Author Unknown
Modern Translation, with respect for the Notorious B.I.G. : "Fuck Money, Get Fishes"
Vilas15  
#15 Posted : Monday, May 21, 2018 7:47:29 PM(UTC)
Vilas15
Rank: Midge

Joined: 5/11/2018(UTC)
Posts: 6
United States

Originally Posted by: shebs Go to Quoted Post


PMs are hands down the best IMO. My only beef is that the wire they're built on is cheap, and they bend after one decent fish.

I love the vibrax ones, but you're right about them. I rebuild them to make them heavier so they sink even faster LOL
The trick is to rip em once with the rod to get the blade cranking, and then it'll keep spinning at low speed.



After losing a couple this weekend I pulled out the vibrax I had just to give it another try. I realized it can be run at a normal speed but the blade just doesn't spin as fast as a mepps. It almost looked like it wasn't spinning until I got it close. It had some strikes and a got a small brown before losing it in the tree...
shebs  
#16 Posted : Monday, May 21, 2018 9:37:03 PM(UTC)
shebs
Rank: Stone Fly

Joined: 5/12/2014(UTC)
Posts: 922
Location: Mpls

Thanks: 4 times
Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 22 post(s)
Get yourself some braided line - I use 10lb power pro. Don't need it for the fish, but it doesn't spook them, and you'll lose fewer lures.
A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. ~Author Unknown
Modern Translation, with respect for the Notorious B.I.G. : "Fuck Money, Get Fishes"
Vilas15  
#17 Posted : Monday, May 21, 2018 9:41:24 PM(UTC)
Vilas15
Rank: Midge

Joined: 5/11/2018(UTC)
Posts: 6
United States

Originally Posted by: shebs Go to Quoted Post
Get yourself some braided line - I use 10lb power pro. Don't need it for the fish, but it doesn't spook them, and you'll lose fewer lures.


What would really help me is getting some waders! It was across the stream in a branch low enough to reach. Although I may have sunken in the muck surrounding it. But the waders would save 75% of what I'm losing currently between branches on the other side of a creek and stuck down in the rocks.

I usually fish braid with a leader for walleye/bass to make it easier to break off snags so I don't lose any mainline, I may need to try some 6/8/10 lb braid instead of the 4 lb mono I'm currently using.
s.t.fanatic  
#18 Posted : Tuesday, May 22, 2018 1:20:01 PM(UTC)
s.t.fanatic
Rank: Dragon Fly

Joined: 3/24/2010(UTC)
Posts: 676
Location: Altura

Thanks: 40 times
Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Unless you dont mind spending tons of money replacing lures 4# is just to light. I love how it casts but thats about it. I'll second your statement on the waders though.
Users browsing this topic
2 Pages<12
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Powered by YAF.NET | YAF.NET © 2003-2018, Yet Another Forum.NET
This page was generated in 0.353 seconds.