Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
William Schlafer  
#21 Posted : Tuesday, November 5, 2019 8:01:34 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 198 time(s) in 152 post(s)
Originally Posted by: MN Driftless Go to Quoted Post
I got away from Simms several years ago: price vs. durability were not meeting my expectations. I have tried a bunch of different brands, but settle here: https://www.amazon.com/O...ading-Boot/dp/B0792HMFGX

How would you rate them for width? My street shoes are 10 EEEE and I've tried on my share of boots that were just too narrow.

I have a $50 Orvis coupon sitting on my desk. Don't really need a new pair of boots, but with the discount, those would be a nice x-mas gift to myself.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
gillh2o  
#22 Posted : Tuesday, November 5, 2019 10:56:46 PM(UTC)
gillh2o

I'm still interested in any wading boots that last more than four years.
Hoggies  
#23 Posted : Wednesday, November 6, 2019 2:22:34 PM(UTC)
Hoggies

Man
United States

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 16 post(s)
Foot tractors if you can stomach the upfront cost.
gillh2o  
#24 Posted : Wednesday, November 6, 2019 4:53:40 PM(UTC)
gillh2o

Have foot tractors been manufactured for over five years?
Hoggies  
#25 Posted : Wednesday, November 6, 2019 6:03:52 PM(UTC)
Hoggies

Man
United States

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 16 post(s)
Yes, but they worked with Danner to redesign then last year. The leather can be reconditioned and they can be sent in to Danner be resoled if needed.

I'm on year 4 in a pair of camouflage cabela's ultralights but that's more a feature of how little I manage to get out wading than durability.
MN Driftless  
#26 Posted : Wednesday, November 6, 2019 8:38:55 PM(UTC)
MN Driftless

Man
United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Originally Posted by: William Schlafer Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: MN Driftless Go to Quoted Post
I got away from Simms several years ago: price vs. durability were not meeting my expectations. I have tried a bunch of different brands, but settle here: https://www.amazon.com/O...ading-Boot/dp/B0792HMFGX

How would you rate them for width? My street shoes are 10 EEEE and I've tried on my share of boots that were just too narrow.

I have a $50 Orvis coupon sitting on my desk. Don't really need a new pair of boots, but with the discount, those would be a nice x-mas gift to myself.

-Bill

I can't speak for the widths of Orvis wading boots as I don't have that issue. Get to their online store and do a live chat with their staff and ask. Their customer service is top notch.

rschmidt  
#27 Posted : Thursday, November 7, 2019 1:45:06 PM(UTC)
rschmidt

Was thanked: 64 time(s) in 53 post(s)
I like the Simms Freestones. The newest model design is great, a bit wider and bigger in the toe. They also fixed the upper layout and have eliminated a crack spot I also had develop in the older model. With conservative 100+ outing seasons, the Freestones are comfy and durable. At that ue rate, I get about 2 seasons before worn out or cracked. They do not feel heavy to me. Have great ankle support and are beasts when studded. They hold the first two set of studs well, then not so well. However the traction unstudded is also very good. Buy one size up from your street shoe size. I can fit two pair wading socks and wader booties when it's winter. Great product! Happy Fishing!!
thanks 1 user thanked rschmidt for this useful post.
gillh2o on 11/7/2019(UTC)
gillh2o  
#28 Posted : Thursday, November 7, 2019 3:08:23 PM(UTC)
gillh2o

Sounds like 100 days is the range of lifetime on boots. Sounds like the Patagonia/Danner are the way to go for repairability.
gillh2o  
#29 Posted : Thursday, November 14, 2019 10:29:46 PM(UTC)
gillh2o

Just ordered a pair of River Salt Patagonia/Danner from Mat at the Driftless Angler. Studs included, made in the U.S.A, and look a lot like my combat boots.
gillh2o  
#30 Posted : Tuesday, December 3, 2019 11:36:37 PM(UTC)
gillh2o

I received the River Salt from Mat at the Driftless Angler, also included with the studs were a pair of extra laces. A size up from my Simms G-3s but fit very nicely with a thick pair of alpaca socks. I finally heard from Simms on my G-3s that I sent in to evaluate. Boots were determined to be beyond repair and replaced under warranty. Received a new pair of G-3s a week later. I guess I'm a lucky old man. The G-3s were four years old (100 days per year at minimum in the driftless year round. Great companies. Think I'll head out this week and find some trout!