Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
William Schlafer  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, May 23, 2018 5:50:37 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 74 time(s) in 64 post(s)
Anyone who's read my posts knows of my love of fishing small Trout streams. This video from JensenFlyFishing shows tactics for fighting big Trout in tiny water.

Someday I hope to fish a mountain stream like this one.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
thanks 3 users thanked William Schlafer for this useful post.
stan b on 5/24/2018(UTC), posaunefisch on 5/24/2018(UTC), weiliwen on 5/24/2018(UTC)
Sponsor
WI-fly  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, May 23, 2018 6:32:18 PM(UTC)
WI-fly

Man

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 15 post(s)
The fish was impressive, but I'm more impressed with the drone work. I wonder if there was another person operating that camera.

I'm still not in the "big trout" club in the Driftless. The biggest one I've caught is 17". I've lost several tanks bigger than that.
=============
Curt Rees
Coulee Region Trout Unlimited
Catch fish, have a good time, protect the resource.
CRTU Facebook
CRTU Instagram
Guillermo  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, May 23, 2018 7:25:10 PM(UTC)
Guillermo

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 20 post(s)
A couple things are usually guaranteed when I'm fighting a large fish in small and brushy water. One, I'm not going to land it. Two, I'm going to look like an idiot and probably fall down a couple different times.

That's how it usually goes anway.
posaunefisch  
#4 Posted : Thursday, May 24, 2018 12:31:34 PM(UTC)
posaunefisch

Man

I totally dig the videos that the Jensen's post on their channel. Visually striking and always awesome to hear their thought process while targeting big trout.
"I can tell by the smell in the air I'm going trout fishing tomorrow " MacQuarrie
@mrjhenning
http://tonesandtrails.blogspot.com/
Pete  
#5 Posted : Thursday, May 24, 2018 3:21:11 PM(UTC)
Pete

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 10 post(s)
I wouldn't be surprised to see a fish that size in a small limestone spring creek. But to see it in a tiny freestone creek? What must it eat and how old is it to get to that size? It probably has a hard time turning around in a stream that narrow.
Great video. There is just something about fighting big fish in such tight quarters. I really enjoyed watching it.
WI-fly  
#6 Posted : Thursday, May 24, 2018 3:35:21 PM(UTC)
WI-fly

Man

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Guillermo Go to Quoted Post
A couple things are usually guaranteed when I'm fighting a large fish in small and brushy water. One, I'm not going to land it. Two, I'm going to look like an idiot and probably fall down a couple different times.

That's how it usually goes anway.

Same for me. I will also have several yards of line wrapped around my left leg. Trying to reach my net magna-clipped on my back is also a challenge. I lose all coordination and dexterity when I get a good fish on.

Edited by user Thursday, May 24, 2018 5:19:05 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

=============
Curt Rees
Coulee Region Trout Unlimited
Catch fish, have a good time, protect the resource.
CRTU Facebook
CRTU Instagram
weiliwen  
#7 Posted : Thursday, May 24, 2018 5:06:03 PM(UTC)
weiliwen

Man
United States

Was thanked: 23 time(s) in 18 post(s)
Nice video, and great rainbow. I'm with WI-Fly, I haven't caught a 20"-er yet, but hopefully this summer. The biggest fish I have recently caught in the Driftless all knew the value of undercuts. Two weeks ago, possibly on the Baraboo (I don't really know where I was!), I had to jump in the creek a couple times to get my rod tip under the grass roots hanging in front of the undercut just to move a big fish I hooked. And I know there were 20" fish in that little creek, I just couldn't catch them.
Bob Williams, "Weiliwen"
William Schlafer  
#8 Posted : Friday, May 25, 2018 1:23:26 AM(UTC)
William Schlafer

I hooked into a very large Brown Trout last summer in a small Sauk County creek.

He came out from under a log and I had to put two hands on the rod handle to hang on. I was able to turn him away from the log, but then he made a bee line to the other side of the creek for an undercut bank. I was in a good position to fight him and I did exactly what she said in the video by keeping the rod tip low. But then he did something I didn't expect: he charged right towards me. In that moment the tension was off the line, and just like that, he was off the hook.

Tricky bastard. The fight probably lasted only 5 seconds.

Just to rub it in, he slowly swam back to his hole under the log seemingly mocking me the whole way. He showed me his tail at one point, which was at least as large as my hand with the fingers spread out. I came back several times last fall, but he didn't make another appearance. This spring I visited the same spot and found that the log was gone and there was no sign of the big Brown.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
winonaflyfactory  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, May 29, 2018 4:25:34 AM(UTC)
winonaflyfactory

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Originally Posted by: WI-fly Go to Quoted Post
The fish was impressive, but I'm more impressed with the drone work. I wonder if there was another person operating that camera.

I'm still not in the "big trout" club in the Driftless. The biggest one I've caught is 17". I've lost several tanks bigger than that.

My guess is yes there was someone piloting the drone. There are active track features on some drones but they aren't great yet and can leave you with jerky footage. If it were me I'd choose to pilot the drone and get better footage.

As for the fish...hoooo dogggy....that was a dandy.
William Schlafer  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, May 29, 2018 6:33:32 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

The best part of the Jensen Fly Fishing videos are how they've spent the time to really learn fish behavior and the little details that make all the difference. Plus they ain't afraid to jump right in the stream and chase after a big trout on the run. They also don't waste a lot of time on their videos with extraneous or indulgent stuff. It's all about the approach, the cast and the fight. Plus their reactions when they net a big one after a long fight are fun to watch. The really love what they're doing.

-Bill