Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

4 Pages<1234>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
NBrevitz  
#21 Posted : Tuesday, August 28, 2018 1:10:08 AM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 30 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Guillermo Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: s.t.fanatic Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Guillermo Go to Quoted Post
That guy needs his ass kicked.

If you mean the guy that might have torn the fence down, yes he does.

Are you serious? You can’t block off access to public water. The landowner who did that is a prick.

Maybe you need your ass kicked.

Alright let’s all chill out...
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
s.t.fanatic  
#22 Posted : Wednesday, August 29, 2018 2:44:16 PM(UTC)
s.t.fanatic

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
That little three strand fence wasn't blocking shit snowflake. Climb between the wires and fish on. This I'm entitled to fish any stream I feel like bullshit (I know you legally are) and feeling like you have the right to destroy somebodies property (even if they are in the wrong) Is a huge problem in our society. Be the bigger person and do what is right!!
Life of Riley  
#23 Posted : Wednesday, August 29, 2018 4:07:54 PM(UTC)
Life of Riley

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
On a happier note, and on the mn side of the driftless, I knew of a section I've heard can have some nice ones. Impassable by log jams, I door knocked for the 1st time, had a nice quick chat with the owner and he let me on his property. Only got 3 average trout but enjoyed the night.
thanks 1 user thanked Life of Riley for this useful post.
s.t.fanatic on 8/29/2018(UTC)
NBrevitz  
#24 Posted : Wednesday, August 29, 2018 5:28:32 PM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

That little three strand fence wasn't blocking shit snowflake. Climb between the wires and fish on. This I'm entitled to fish any stream I feel like bullshit (I know you legally are) and feeling like you have the right to destroy somebodies property (even if they are in the wrong) Is a huge problem in our society. Be the bigger person and do what is right!!

What if someone decides to kayak that section during high flows and gets caught on it and drowns? What if the fisherman is an old man and just can’t bend that far? I twisted my knee up going through a fence much worse than that when I was 17, sprained my MCL and couldn’t work out for 3 weeks. Had I bent it a bit more, I may have lost my senior year of football. Is that worth it for being the bigger person? So someone can discourage legal fishing? Was I a little bitch for calling it in and getting him fined? Was I a snowflake for protecting my legal rights?
Are you mad that people don’t have to knock on doors? Do you want fishing privatized like Colorado?

I agree with you a lot more politically than most people on here, the fact that you’ve jumped the shark this far is frankly disappointing.
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
Gurth  
#25 Posted : Wednesday, August 29, 2018 5:58:50 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 72 time(s) in 58 post(s)
I could rip my waders or cut myself trying to go through that illegal obstruction. Had that happened, I'd have wanted to do more with that post than just knock it down.

I also could legally walk around it, but maybe not everyone knows that.

I have some sympathy for land owners as not all trout fishermen are great citizens. I've certainly run into some sketchy individuals out there and the tourist crowd can sometimes be inconsiderate (although not as a rule). I've found wadded up fishing line and cigarette butts.

You buy land adjacent to a public area though and you sign up for whatever the access laws allow. If you can't live with that, don't buy there.

As I stated, I would not want to own land on a trout stream and if I ever end up on a lake, I'll just have to share it with the public as the law allows.

Restrict people from crossing your property, but leave the public area alone.

On a different stream, a buddy got yelled at by a land owner this spring for not asking permission and has been "banned for life" from that stretch (not wadeable). Land owner made it clear that they let everyone fish from their land as long as they are asked first. I support the land owner in this case 100%.

And will ask before I fish that spot, btw. Thanks buddy for falling on that grenade! Laugh

Can't wait to send him a grip and grin with a big one from that stretch sometime. Flapper

As I said, I reported the fence and heard back that they will assess whether it's a violation.

Whatevs as I don't think I'll be returning to that stream anyway.
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
s.t.fanatic  
#26 Posted : Wednesday, August 29, 2018 8:05:45 PM(UTC)
s.t.fanatic

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
I guess i just don't see it as a big deal at least it sure wouldn't piss me of to the point of reporting it.

I guess it could be a dangerous situation if someone was floating it in high water but then again they would have been much more statistically likely to die on the drive to the stream.

You are welcome to do as you wish. I have only been turned down by one landowner in my thirty years of trout fishing. I sure as hell could legally wade the stream and fish away but I just wouldn't feel right about it. I guess having land with a trout stream running through it has made me think differently about the situation. Do unto others as you would have done unto you?

Anybody report the tens or even hundreds of people you saw texting while on your commute to work this morning? Talk about a situation that should really piss you off.

I hear you about the being pissed about loosing time from H.S. sports. I spent the majority of my 10,11,and 12 grade on crutches due to repeated knee injuries needing surgery. Had you just turned around you wouldnt have twisted it at all. Where is Captain Hindsight when you need him.

Edited by user Wednesday, August 29, 2018 8:10:53 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Gurth  
#27 Posted : Wednesday, August 29, 2018 9:43:37 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 72 time(s) in 58 post(s)
I didn't report it because I was pissed off. It had zero effect on my day or even that particular moment.

Our access laws in Wisconsin are the envy of most other trouty places in the nation.

On principle, they need to be protected.

In addition, I'm not going to ask permission to fish water that I have a legal right to be on.

Should I ask a dock owner if it's okay to catch a bass from under it?

What I have asked for is whether I can cross land to get to a stream or whether I can walk back along the bank instead of back down the stream. Happy to do it.

I've never been turned down.
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
NBrevitz  
#28 Posted : Thursday, August 30, 2018 12:21:18 AM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

I understand what you’re getting at, but it’s not that simple for some of us. Where I fish (Pierce, Dunn, and St. Croix Counties) is far closer to metropolitan areas. Landowners aren’t as keen to inviting fishermen if that means they’re likely to bring more along next time and tell their buddies where they got access. Most big stretches of one farm family are already eased. Wilson Creek is a prime example of a stream with some nasty landowners. I’ve seen it on the upper and lower end. There are some nice ones too, but it’s not all that welcoming of a valley. Browns Creek isn’t great, nor are a couple trickles towards Taylor’s Falls. I’ve been yelled at on quite a few streams. I’m not loud, I’ll all but swim to stay legal (and will swim on occasion to do so). I don’t deserve to get yelled at. Doing unto others as they’ve done to me in that area would get me arrested... Also, MN doesn’t allow fishermen to walk around an obstruction, if they did I wouldn’t give a damn about fences.
Guillermo  
#29 Posted : Thursday, August 30, 2018 2:24:22 AM(UTC)
Guillermo

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 23 post(s)

Snowflake? Alright. I’m actually with Brevitz in that I agree with you politically more than most here. But not in this case. You think I’m displaying entitlement by exercising my legal right to fish navigable water? I’ll tell you what. Tougher men than any of us fought their asses off to ensure we have the water rights we have today. Many were Civil War Veterans and Loggers and they took a stand against landowners trying to turn rivers and streams into private playgrounds. They were often arrested for it, but then one day the Supreme Court sided with them and set the wheels in motion for what we enjoy today.

I’ll continue to fish any navigable water I damn well please, no matter what you or any landowner says. And the next illegal obstruction I come across I’ll rip that son of a bitch down just for you.
billybigbilly  
#30 Posted : Thursday, August 30, 2018 6:59:49 PM(UTC)
billybigbilly

Man

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I have a quick question pertaining to MN law. If a tree has fallen into the stream am I legally allow to climb over it in the center of the stream? or if a tree has fallen over a stream and is under the water is it legal to climb over it? and thirdly if said tree has cause more branches and debris to connect behind it can I climb over those?
Thanks guys!