Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Poll Question : 20” class brown?
Choice Votes Statistics
  Yes
73 %
  No
26 %
  Total 15 100%
Guests can't vote. Try login or register.
2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Zugbug  
#11 Posted : Friday, June 1, 2018 8:02:02 AM(UTC)
Zugbug

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Looks like 20" to me 😊

This seems to be part of human nature - we set up arbitrary goals, then knock ourselves out trying to accomplish them. We are bitterly disappointed when that 20" trout turns out to be only 19.5". It isn't just trout fishermen - there are also the 5 lb Bass, the 50" Muskie, the 100 lb Tarpon, etc.

If these targets aren't good enough, we add additional qualifications. There's the "20" on a dry fly" club, the "20/20" club, and I'm sure that there are others.
Gurth  
#12 Posted : Friday, June 1, 2018 10:26:46 AM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 62 time(s) in 49 post(s)
The good thing about getting past the 20 inch plateau is never having to think about it again.

The story behind a fish is what’s important or interesting and many of my best stories involve “lesser” fish.
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
WI-fly  
#13 Posted : Friday, June 1, 2018 2:56:18 PM(UTC)
WI-fly

Man

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Originally Posted by: William Schlafer Go to Quoted Post
Last year I caught what I assumed to be a 20+ inch Brown Trout. I laid it next to my fly rod and it easily passed the "hero mark." For a few hours I was very happy to finally cross that accomplishment off the bucket list. Even better, I had a friend along to witness it - which is rare as I usually fish alone. High fives as I released the beast back from where it came.

But, when I got home and looked at the photos, something didn't quite seem right. This was a new rod I had just picked up after breaking my trusty old Echo Carbon. The new rod was identical to the old one in every way but one: the "hero mark" was only 16" from the butt end, not 20".

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

Still, a nice catch, even though I had to eat a little humble pie.

-Bill

Bill - Did you end up with the Echo Carbon XL as a replacement? That's what I did. I broke my original Carbon, 8' 4wt. The replacement was the 8'4" 4wt. It's a good rod, but I really liked the balance of the original.

=============
Curt Rees
Coulee Region Trout Unlimited
Catch fish, have a good time, protect the resource.
CRTU Facebook
CRTU Instagram
William Schlafer  
#14 Posted : Friday, June 1, 2018 6:34:19 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 69 post(s)
Originally Posted by: WI-fly Go to Quoted Post
Bill - Did you end up with the Echo Carbon XL as a replacement? That's what I did. I broke my original Carbon, 8' 4wt. The replacement was the 8'4" 4wt. It's a good rod, but I really liked the balance of the original.

Yes. That's what Echo sent me after I broke my original Echo Carbon for the last time. The XL is a step down in feel. I really can't tell the difference though between the Echo XL and the Echo Base rods. Both are adequate for most situations and cast well in the wind. But I do miss my old Carbon - especially when casting dry flies.

I did try out an Echo Dry Fly rod last year, but I can't really say it's any better than the XL or Base. And at 9' in length, is probably not appropriate for the type of fishing I do.

-Bill

Edited by user Friday, June 1, 2018 6:35:18 PM(UTC)  | Reason: damned typos!

“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos