Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

4 Pages123>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Chadw1975  
#1 Posted : Friday, June 1, 2018 1:59:52 PM(UTC)
Chadw1975

I am just curious if there is a way to poll the top ten favorite waters of the Driftless. I have fished most of the southern portion of the Iowa streams and a few Wisconsin waters, Grant and Crawford Counties, but want to compile a “bucket list” of must visit waters before I die!
Sponsor
weiliwen  
#2 Posted : Friday, June 1, 2018 3:02:41 PM(UTC)
weiliwen

Man
United States

Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 26 post(s)
Some advice: Your first post should be on the New Member Introduction thread, in the "General Trout & Fishing Discussions," and give us some information about yourself. Folks who post here are not likely to just give away their favorite spots to a newbie, or pretty much anybody else!

The Driftless Area is pretty compact, when you think about it.
  • Get yourself the "Map Guide To Improved Trout Waters of Wisconsin" and cross-check against a Wisconsin Gazetteer - this book has easements and improvements listed.

• Get some books by Jay Thurston, who has several related to trout fishing The Driftless (Jay Thurston Home Page, or better yet, run up to Viroqua some Saturday and catch him at the farmer's market where he is often to be found with a booth selling his books.

• Attend a TrapFest or two, get to know the folks who post here, and listen to what they have to say.

• Lastly and perhaps most importantly, drop a little cash at your local fly fishing store, preferably The Driftless Angler; they'll give you good advice in return

When you've done all of this, get in your car and start exploring. Post about your adventures, successes and failures. At the end of the season, you'll have a start.

Edited by user Friday, June 1, 2018 3:04:10 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Spelling Errors

Bob Williams, "Weiliwen"
thanks 1 user thanked weiliwen for this useful post.
Chadw1975 on 6/1/2018(UTC)
winonaflyfactory  
#3 Posted : Friday, June 1, 2018 3:20:20 PM(UTC)
winonaflyfactory

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 15 post(s)
No offense but the idea of compiling a list of my favorite streams then posting it on the internet of all places is the last thing I'm ever going to do. Working hard to find the streams you love makes you respect the resource that much more and in the long run it's less about the fishing and more about being outside and finding new places that keeps me going back to the streams. Sure I have my favorites but not even my wife knows which ones they are.
thanks 1 user thanked winonaflyfactory for this useful post.
Aboudreau25 on 6/8/2018(UTC)
sauktrouter  
#4 Posted : Friday, June 1, 2018 4:09:23 PM(UTC)
sauktrouter

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
1. Bosstown Creek
2. Gitchagumee River
3. Viroqua Branch
4. Splitshot Creek
5. Angry Steer Creek
6. Chubb Creek
7. Spinning Rod Creek
8. Windknot River
9. Hookjaw Branch
10. Freshnure Creek

Did I miss any?
thanks 1 user thanked sauktrouter for this useful post.
Gurth on 6/1/2018(UTC)
trapper  
#5 Posted : Friday, June 1, 2018 4:54:35 PM(UTC)
trapper

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 22 post(s)
Originally Posted by: winonaflyfactory Go to Quoted Post
No offense but the idea of compiling a list of my favorite streams then posting it on the internet of all places is the last thing I'm ever going to do. Working hard to find the streams you love makes you respect the resource that much more and in the long run it's less about the fishing and more about being outside and finding new places that keeps me going back to the streams. Sure I have my favorites but not even my wife knows which ones they are.

I could not of said it any better

To add:
Many streams have a four year cycle of catching success
Get Reel
thanks 1 user thanked trapper for this useful post.
s.t.fanatic on 6/1/2018(UTC)
Chadw1975  
#6 Posted : Friday, June 1, 2018 5:51:48 PM(UTC)
Chadw1975

All good points made. I have corrected the new member error.

I should have thought through my OP a little better. In no way was my intention to try to find anyone's secret water, but I could certainly see how someone could take it that way. My apologies. Maybe the better way for me to phrase my question is, what are some of the better known, most popular, most discussed streams? For example, here in Dubuque, in my mind these would be Big Mill, Little Mill, Swiss Valley and Bankston. Not that we have many other choices here. Believe me I also understand the joy of exploring new places and spending time outdoors. For me it is not always about finding the biggest fish, the most fish or the wildest fish. It is all about the experience I had that day and the chance to get outside. Some trips are a lot of fun shared with friends, but most days enjoying the peace, quiet and solitude is the reward.

At the end of the day, I will only have so many trips in my life outside of my home waters and just looking to the collective experience and knowledge in this group to at least point me towards some cool places to go visit.

Pete  
#7 Posted : Friday, June 1, 2018 6:14:44 PM(UTC)
Pete

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 10 post(s)
The sacrificial streams, the ones that draw all the tourists (and keep our hard-earned favorites relatively isolated) are the Timber Coulee system and the W.F. of the Kickapoo. Most every guidebook ever written about Wisconsin trout fishing will mention them. Find a blue line in the Atlas and Gazetteer pages for the Driftless and it will probably have trout in it. They're so close together that you can do a lot of exploring in a short time. You'll surely find some to your liking, no matter what experience you're looking for: brook trout, brown trout, big fish, a lot of fish, a manicured golf course appearance, serious bushwhacking, whatever you are after.
William Schlafer  
#8 Posted : Friday, June 1, 2018 6:18:01 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 101 time(s) in 87 post(s)
I rarely fish the most popular streams. The best ones I've found are those little forgotten or out of the way places that don't get a lot of ink in magazines or mentioned much on the Interwebs. You might have to spend 20 minutes driving down a dusty gravel road, but the further off the beaten path you go, the better.

As weiliwen said: get out there and explore.

Good luck.
-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
thanks 1 user thanked William Schlafer for this useful post.
s.t.fanatic on 6/1/2018(UTC)
WI-fly  
#9 Posted : Friday, June 1, 2018 7:46:29 PM(UTC)
WI-fly

Man

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 16 post(s)
While Timber gets a ton of traffic, it is easily in my top ten of places to fish. It's a huge system and I like the challenge of getting to know all of the different sections and then figuring out how to fish it during each season. As with most streams, walk a half mile past the parking areas, and you won't have much company.
=============
Curt Rees
Coulee Region Trout Unlimited
Catch fish, have a good time, protect the resource.
CRTU Facebook
CRTU Instagram
WI-fly  
#10 Posted : Friday, June 1, 2018 7:47:56 PM(UTC)
WI-fly

Man

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 16 post(s)
Originally Posted by: sauktrouter Go to Quoted Post
1. Bosstown Creek
2. Gitchagumee River
3. Viroqua Branch
4. Splitshot Creek
5. Angry Steer Creek
6. Chubb Creek
7. Spinning Rod Creek
8. Windknot River
9. Hookjaw Branch
10. Freshnure Creek

Did I miss any?

You missed Upper Giraffe Creek and Spring Creek (not that Spring Creek, the other one. It's the one by the Olson farm, just past the intersection with the red barn.)
=============
Curt Rees
Coulee Region Trout Unlimited
Catch fish, have a good time, protect the resource.
CRTU Facebook
CRTU Instagram