Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

4 Pages<1234>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Mark Dahlquist  
#21 Posted : Tuesday, June 5, 2018 5:55:51 PM(UTC)
Mark Dahlquist

Man

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Steve is such a doucher. I love how he talks to himself the whole time and measures his fish with his rod. I ran into him once recently at one of my go to spots.
-Mark
Board Owner
UserPostedImage
stan b  
#22 Posted : Wednesday, June 6, 2018 10:14:18 AM(UTC)
stan b

Man

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 14 post(s)
I don't even have 10 trout streams.
I have 1 I really like a person here kindly shared with me.
Not tons of fish, but a really neat place.

I have 2 others I picked off my "Gazetter," and 2 others that are relatively close.

There are 3 that I tried I didn't care for.
1 of them I've caught some very nice fish in.
But I don't really like the place.

I guess I'm lazy but those fill the days that I'm able to enjoy the beautiful resource.

My go to spot is where Frank the Fish lives.😱

Someday Frank...........

Edited by user Wednesday, June 6, 2018 10:16:09 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

"So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold
s.t.fanatic  
#23 Posted : Wednesday, June 6, 2018 12:06:32 PM(UTC)
s.t.fanatic

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
I like Steve and his videos.
thanks 1 user thanked s.t.fanatic for this useful post.
Aboudreau25 on 6/8/2018(UTC)
NBrevitz  
#24 Posted : Wednesday, June 6, 2018 1:36:24 PM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 30 post(s)
Originally Posted by: s.t.fanatic Go to Quoted Post

The guy hotspots EVERYTHING, including some fragile spots. He also blatantly trespasses. When a landowner called him out on YouTube, he deleted the comment instead of owning up to it. The landowner even asked nicely and didn’t press charges. Douche move on Steve’s part.
I doubt you’d be singing the same tune if he name dropped one of your trophy Brown holes, just saying.
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
Gurth  
#25 Posted : Wednesday, June 6, 2018 1:40:17 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 74 time(s) in 60 post(s)
I find myself talking to myself on the stream quite a bit...

I yell at the otters, ducks and beavers quite a bit too.

Laugh

I don't do that other stuff though.
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
s.t.fanatic  
#26 Posted : Wednesday, June 6, 2018 6:59:58 PM(UTC)
s.t.fanatic

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Originally Posted by: NBrevitz Go to Quoted Post

The guy hotspots EVERYTHING, including some fragile spots. He also blatantly trespasses. When a landowner called him out on YouTube, he deleted the comment instead of owning up to it. The landowner even asked nicely and didn’t press charges. Douche move on Steve’s part.
I doubt you’d be singing the same tune if he name dropped one of your trophy Brown holes, just saying.

I have been watching his videos for years. I have never seen where he has name dropped any trophy holes. Him "saying" he's fishing the V or the Little Cannon isn't much different that saying the Rush, Kinni, Root River, etc. There are miles, upon miles, upon miles of those two streams that hold trout. He might be a bit odd but I dont see where he is having any adverse effects on the resource. He states many times in the comments that he isn't going to list any specific spots.

It's like shooting a big buck or anything else, the guy catches some huge trout and their is a certain amount of jealousy that follows.
shebs  
#27 Posted : Wednesday, June 6, 2018 7:19:10 PM(UTC)
shebs

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 22 post(s)
Yeah except that he has also done this with much smaller waters that have since been overrun by the bucket brigade and lost most of the trophy brookies.
A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. ~Author Unknown
Modern Translation, with respect for the Notorious B.I.G. : "Fuck Money, Get Fishes"
Guillermo  
#28 Posted : Wednesday, June 6, 2018 8:05:43 PM(UTC)
Guillermo

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 23 post(s)

I have been watching his videos for years. I have never seen where he has name dropped any trophy holes. Him "saying" he's fishing the V or the Little Cannon isn't much different that saying the Rush, Kinni, Root River, etc. There are miles, upon miles, upon miles of those two streams that hold trout. He might be a bit odd but I dont see where he is having any adverse effects on the resource. He states many times in the comments that he isn't going to list any specific spots.

It's like shooting a big buck or anything else, the guy catches some huge trout and their is a certain amount of jealousy that follows.

I doubt Brevitz has anything to be jealous about, seems he catches more than his share of large trout. Most folks here don't have anything to be jealous about. I'd be pissed if he was in my neck of the woods too, but not because of what he catches and I don't. I catch plenty of large trout, but I don't film every waking second of it for all the world to see.
NBrevitz  
#29 Posted : Wednesday, June 6, 2018 8:57:03 PM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 30 post(s)

I guess 15 inch Brook Trout in the Driftless are small potatoes, huh?

I could not care less about him naming V or the Rush. Hell, beg people to fish and harvest the upper Kinni, I’ll drop them pins in the best riffles for god’s sake. It’s a few videos in particular on little known spots. The spot he broadcast out in particular is still decent, but not what it once was for the lower 1/4 mile. Steve had the brilliant idea to name to river and crossing a couple years back.I used to be able to catch 14s there damn near every trip with little effort. I’d fish it once or twice a week after work. Now, I need to put a lot more effort in to maybe pull it off. Once I get 1/2 mile up, it’s magically back to its 2015 standard, funny how that works.

Also, I’m thrilled for people who land big Brookies, it keeps me going when I hit those rough days of nothing but follows. Just don’t broadcast it to the rest of the world. Also, don’t blatantly trespass a section that is posted every 30 feet, then ignore the landowner who asks you very nicely to not trespass, let alone delete his comment...
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
Gurth  
#30 Posted : Thursday, June 7, 2018 12:38:38 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 74 time(s) in 60 post(s)
Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's trout. Laugh

I doubt there's a whole lot of envy amongst the regulars around here.

I certainly don't have any.

I'm happy when others have success.

I get my share and I'll get more down the line. I'm not driven by competition when it comes to fishing... especially trout fishing. There's so much more to it than what a tape measure could tell.

Nice fish are a product of time spent on the water and doing research (podcasts, reading, scouting, scheming) and a decent amount of good fortune (right place, right moment).

Mostly just time spent on the water and a willingness to go where most others won't.

Nothing to be envious about as anyone can do it if they commit.

Social media is the enemy of that and can make it easy (easier) for the less dedicated to get inflated results.

I bet that for every poster who participates here, there are at least 10 who lurk or stop by just to mine intel.

I don't blame them and have and would do the same thing.

We don't need to help them though and that would include Facebook, Instagram, blogs and Youtube videos.

Don't name streams. Simple as that. There should be a sticky on this site stating just that.

I used to be more loose-lipped, but I've become more and more secretive in the online setting.

I've even Photo-shopped landmarks out of the background of some photos when they might reveal a location that isn't already widely known.

Regarding the bucket brigade – don't like em at all. They have a right to the resource though.

Luckily, they're generally too lazy to go far from bridge pools.

I saw a lot of empty worm containers on my stops on brookie streams near EC and have seen them up north near the UP. Must be more of a brookie thing as I don't see nearly as many on brown trout streams.

Cigarette butts too. – off course those aren't litter somehow.

Take home brookies and leave your trash at the stream. Wonderful people.

Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net