Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
William Schlafer  
#1 Posted : Sunday, June 3, 2018 3:20:29 AM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 101 time(s) in 87 post(s)
While fishing today I had good results with terrestrial patterns. But I ran into an old problem with the Hippie Stomper. The wing material (McFlylon: polypropylene yarn) gets waterlogged and causes the fly to either sink, or flop over on it's back. Dosing it with floatant helps, but needs to be reapplied again after a few casts.

UserPostedImage

What I need is a substitute for the wing material that is similar in appearance, but doesn't absorb water. Any suggestions?

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
Sponsor
Pete  
#2 Posted : Sunday, June 3, 2018 5:56:33 PM(UTC)
Pete

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Is the wing more for the fish or the fisherman? i.e., is the wing just to make the fly visible to the angler? If so, maybe it could be omitted. If it had to have a wing, maybe CDc would be a good substitute. That stuff will float through anything.
OTC_MN  
#3 Posted : Monday, June 4, 2018 2:50:12 PM(UTC)
OTC_MN

Was thanked: 30 time(s) in 22 post(s)
Yeah, they do tend to roll over sometimes.

Paste-style floatant like Payette Paste does seem to last longer than gel or spray.

McFlylon works about as well as anything, but I've used EP Trigger Point fibers on wings too (emergers, para posts) and it seems to shed water very well.

EP Trigger Point International Fibers
"Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish."
- Roderick Haig-Brown
thanks 1 user thanked OTC_MN for this useful post.
William Schlafer on 6/4/2018(UTC)
trapper  
#4 Posted : Monday, June 4, 2018 11:15:16 PM(UTC)
trapper

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 22 post(s)
Go to a fly shop in Viroqua and get some skinny hippy"s
Get Reel
madguy30  
#5 Posted : Sunday, June 10, 2018 1:51:03 AM(UTC)
madguy30

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 11 post(s)
My hoppers are just the foam material and the rubber legs with some super glue and work just fine.

I would ditch the wings materials. Well, I guess I already did. :)

After a few years I don't quite understand elaborate flies.
Twill89  
#6 Posted : Sunday, July 29, 2018 4:51:10 PM(UTC)
Twill89

I’m thinking if you trimmed the bottom of the hackle nice and close, that might do the trick!

Also, does anyone know where to get 1mm or .5mm purple foam? I can only find 2mm purple...
JGF  
#7 Posted : Sunday, July 29, 2018 5:32:32 PM(UTC)
JGF

Man
United States

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 14 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Twill89 Go to Quoted Post
I’m thinking if you trimmed the bottom of the hackle nice and close, that might do the trick!

Agreed - I think that plays a pretty big part of the fly landing right and righting itself.

As for other options:

1. CDC or Snowshoe might work well.
2. Dry the fly - I use my sleeve and then one of those shake containers with desiccant or Frogs Fanny or similar brush on product. Works for another fish or 3 most of the time.
3. Fish it on heavier tippet. I fish terrestrials and 3X and 4X most of the time to prevent leader twist (and to be able to pull it off streamside vegetation).

Quote:
Also, does anyone know where to get 1mm or .5mm purple foam? I can only find 2mm purple...

Would "Lavender" work? https://www.hopperfishing.com/product/1mm-fly-tying-foam/

The Google didn't find much else other than a flytying forum with a similar question and no really good answers.

Tried the craft stores in your area yet? I've had some good finds in crafts stores.

Lastly, white foam and good markers (again, craft stores are great for these) is a viable - if imperfect - option. HTH.

William Schlafer  
#8 Posted : Sunday, July 29, 2018 5:37:35 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Purple foam is tough to find in 0.5mm & 1mm thickness (for some reason).

I found some 0.5mm in purple at my local craft store, but I had to buy it in a package with a ton of other sizes and colors that I didn't want. I've also taken some 6mm foam and shaved it down with a razor blade to get the thickness I wanted.

The Hopper Store carries a bunch of various sizes and thicknesses of sheet foam, but sadly nothing in a dark purple color. They do have pre-cut hopper bodies in purple and tan. I highly recommend these if you're tying hoppers or ant problems, as they greatly reduce the fuss and muss of gluing up and cutting them from scratch.

Let us know if you find any sources for purple sheet foam in thin sizes.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
DanE  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, August 8, 2018 2:34:17 PM(UTC)
DanE

I used to get it from Lure Parts Online (Anglers Workshop) in a package with .5mm and 1mm. However it looks like they don't sell purple anymore, but have lots of other colors. Guess the purple that I have just increased in value on the black market. LOL

http://www.lurepartsonli...sLPO/Razor-Fly-Foam.html
William Schlafer  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, August 8, 2018 6:18:28 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

I offhandedly mentioned the lack of thin purple sheet foam to a co-worker and got a interesting response as to why: Cosplay. Apparently kids are buying up the stuff in bulk to make costumes of their favorite comic and movie characters. Foam is easy to work with and purple appears to be popular color.

UserPostedImage

I remember a few years back when fly tying feathers got scarce and expensive when women starting using them as fashion accessories in their hair.

Crazy world.

-Bill