Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
WI-fly  
#21 Posted : Thursday, August 16, 2018 1:50:37 PM(UTC)
WI-fly

Man

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 16 post(s)
Originally Posted by: NE IA Drifter Go to Quoted Post
Anyone know the history of the hippie stomper and who originally tied it? Seems to be pretty popular out in Colorado this yr...

Here you go. Entertaining origin.

https://midcurrent.com/flies/where-have-all-the-hippie-stompers-gone/

After re-reading that article, I see that Grillos is also the originator of the Pool Toy fly. I bought some of those several years ago while staying in Durango on our way to the Grand Canyon. My wife and daughter were doing some girlie shopping so my son (10 at the time) and I headed to the Duranglers fly shop. He was just beginning to fly fish, so I let him pick out a dozen flies for his own fly pack. The shop guy was great and answered Gavin's many questions about each fly he picked up. The Pool Toy is a big obnoxious fly (full of foam, rubber, and other synthetic materials) so of course it caught the boy's attention. Shop guy asked where we were from and when told we were from Wisconsin, he said that the Pool Toy would be an excellent fly for Wisconsin streams. His rationale was that with our intense winters, when the good weather finally arrives, the fish are aggressive and ready to eat without being too selective. It made sense to us, so we bought a few Pool Toys.

It certainly was a good fly for us. When fish started trying to eat my strike indicator, I knew it was time to go with an obnoxious fly and the Pool Toy was effective. I also used it a lot when fishing after dark. It has a big profile, stays afloat, and was noisy when stripped.

Edited by user Thursday, August 16, 2018 2:06:36 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

=============
Curt Rees
Coulee Region Trout Unlimited
Catch fish, have a good time, protect the resource.
CRTU Facebook
CRTU Instagram
NE IA Drifter  
#22 Posted : Thursday, August 16, 2018 4:32:51 PM(UTC)
NE IA Drifter

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Thanks! I read that article as well. I guess I had thought it originated in the driftless since that's where I first saw it but maybe I just didn't notice it out here until it was called the hippie stomper....
William Schlafer  
#23 Posted : Thursday, August 16, 2018 4:53:41 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 101 time(s) in 87 post(s)
Here's a good video on how to tie a proper Hippie Stomper:

What makes this pattern so effective is the number of strike triggers it possesses. Irresistible when Trout are looking up. They're effective from March to season close, although I think Trapper has mentioned he's caught fish with it during the winter months too.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
Fishes-with-fly  
#24 Posted : Sunday, November 18, 2018 12:11:49 AM(UTC)
Fishes-with-fly

I wanted to let the original poster know that if the fly was purchased at Driftless Angler or a nearby shop, there was a delivery of Stompers that were delivered to DA and sold by them that had incorrect material used for the wing. I was up there in July and talked with Matt the owner and this came straight from him. If you are tying your own, any hydrophobic synthetic material will work for the wing. The materials used on the “bad” Stompers was akin to white egg yarn.