Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
catbag  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, June 27, 2018 8:39:57 PM(UTC)
catbag

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Since the search function of the forum is down (maybe just me)...I was wondering if anyone could give advice for night fly fishing. Specifically; what time to go. Is it worth going out the whole night or do they turn off at some point?
Sponsor
Pete  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, June 27, 2018 9:03:27 PM(UTC)
Pete

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 10 post(s)
I've never stayed out all night, but that's because I'm not getting any younger and have to sleep at some point. Whether I go out at sunset and fish for a few hours or get up and out well before sunrise depends on time of year and conditions: later on in the Summer, when the water has warmed to its peak temperatures, I go out before sunrise, when the water is at its coolest (and most comfortable for fish with the most dissolved oxygen). In the Spring and early Summer, I do better staying out after sunset: the water isn't too warm yet for the trout and they don't have to wait a long time for it to cool down.

I night fish when I can, but some guys insist that it's better on moonless or cloudy nights. That's probably true, but if I've got a trip planned, I'm not staying inside just because it's a full moon and conditions are not theoretically perfect. You can-and should-use heavier tippets. Fish may be found in surprisingly skinny water under cover of darkness. Don't worry about color: like us, they can't see color well in the dark; go with something dark to provide a good outline. And don't be afraid to throw something you wouldn't dream of using during the day: bass bugs, mouse and frog patterns, even waking salmon/steelhead dries can produce. Have fun and stay safe.
thanks 1 user thanked Pete for this useful post.
weiliwen on 6/28/2018(UTC)
weiliwen  
#3 Posted : Thursday, June 28, 2018 12:44:55 PM(UTC)
weiliwen

Man
United States

Was thanked: 23 time(s) in 18 post(s)
I've only done it a couple times, right after dusk, but it was fun. Tough to tie on new flies, and you're gonna lose more than usual casting in the dark. I found a headlamp with a red light which helps some and reduces night blindness.
Bob Williams, "Weiliwen"
William Schlafer  
#4 Posted : Thursday, June 28, 2018 2:35:24 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 74 time(s) in 64 post(s)
The forum search function has been down for awhile now.

A mouse pattern at night can be deadly. Anything that puts a wake on the water at night can bring out the big Trout. But you need to find a stream you're very familiar with so you don't trash around or get hurt in the dark. Then there's the mosquitoes which are 10X worse at night.

3-4 years ago I used to get up ridiculously early to make the long drive to the DA so I could fish in the pre-dawn hours and avoid the summer heat. I never caught any more fish at 4AM than I have at noon, so I quit doing that. Now I just try to target days during the summer were the temperature is reasonable or there's good cloud cover.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
Pete  
#5 Posted : Thursday, June 28, 2018 4:31:25 PM(UTC)
Pete

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Originally Posted by: weiliwen Go to Quoted Post
I've only done it a couple times, right after dusk, but it was fun. Tough to tie on new flies, and you're gonna lose more than usual casting in the dark. I found a headlamp with a red light which helps some and reduces night blindness.

You bring up a good point which I forgot to mention: it is tough to tie on new flies in the dark. Just by coincidence, there was an article in a recent Fur/Fish/Game magazine issue. It was written by Vic Attardo, who I think is a Pennsylvania resident and writes a lot about fly fishing. He said he keeps tippets pre-tied with likely flies in his vest ready to go. I would use a loop to loop connection from leader to tippet; much easier than trying to attach tippet with a blood knot in the dark. Anything to cut down on knot tying in the dark.

He also mentioned fishing at night with traditional winged wet flies. I haven't done it-when I'm fishing at night, I'm hog hunting, not really interested in 10-14 inch fish-but it sounds as if it works for him. Another Pennsylvania guy, Jim Bashline, literally wrote the book on night fishing, and he too used a lot of wet flies.
thanks 1 user thanked Pete for this useful post.
weiliwen on 6/28/2018(UTC)
weiliwen  
#6 Posted : Thursday, June 28, 2018 5:07:46 PM(UTC)
weiliwen

Man
United States

Was thanked: 23 time(s) in 18 post(s)
Thanks, Pete - I just ordered a copy of his book on night fishing.
Bob Williams, "Weiliwen"
catbag  
#7 Posted : Thursday, June 28, 2018 6:09:45 PM(UTC)
catbag

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Thanks for the advice everyone. I make sure to report when I get out soon!
WI-fly  
#8 Posted : Thursday, June 28, 2018 9:07:53 PM(UTC)
WI-fly

Man

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 14 post(s)
I only do this about 3 times per summer, but they are my favorite evenings. I pick a big flat pool that is close to the road so I don't have to trek too far in the dark. I choose my 5wt and throw my biggest, ugliest, floating fly. Doesn't have to look like a mouse. Strip that fly so it makes a lot of noise and then listen for the strike. Set the hook soon after you hear a ruckus. So. Much. Fun.
=============
Curt Rees
Coulee Region Trout Unlimited
Catch fish, have a good time, protect the resource.
CRTU Facebook
CRTU Instagram
trapper  
#9 Posted : Saturday, June 30, 2018 11:44:26 PM(UTC)
trapper

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 15 post(s)
BIG and black
Bigger the better
Get Reel
William Schlafer  
#10 Posted : Sunday, July 1, 2018 2:13:43 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 74 time(s) in 64 post(s)
Originally Posted by: trapper Go to Quoted Post
BIG and black
Bigger the better

Sounds like something my ex would say.

BigGrin

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos