Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
draik11  
#1 Posted : Thursday, July 5, 2018 4:26:21 PM(UTC)
draik11

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 9 post(s)
I'll be in the driftless fishing this weekend. Anyone have insight on current water temps and flies that have been working for you? Seems like a hopper dropper will work well right now. Are thin bodied nymphs dying down right now and will a thicker bodied nymph like a brush hog work well?

Thanks for the info!
Sponsor
William Schlafer  
#2 Posted : Thursday, July 5, 2018 5:14:32 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 69 post(s)
The Driftless Angler fly shop post regular fishing reports on stream conditions for the SW part of Wisconsin. This weekend appears to be excellent summer fishing conditions. Only problem will be that with the extended holiday, lots of folks will be out pounding the waters.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
draik11  
#3 Posted : Friday, July 6, 2018 4:35:27 PM(UTC)
draik11

I shudder at the thought of what kind of zoo the timber coulee will be tomorrow. I plan on spending some windshield time to get off the beaten path.
JGF  
#4 Posted : Saturday, July 7, 2018 1:12:41 AM(UTC)
JGF

Man
United States

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 11 post(s)
I fished yesterday on the Coon Creek system and saw one other car. Fished around Viroqua today on streams that aren't any big secrets and I didn't see another car. That all might change as people travel for the weekend but the last couple of days were as uncrowded as I've seen this year.
NBrevitz  
#5 Posted : Sunday, July 8, 2018 1:11:52 AM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 29 post(s)
Small stuff up in the N Driftless is fine, a few of the bigger systems are still a bit stained but fishable.
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
William Schlafer  
#6 Posted : Sunday, July 8, 2018 4:58:06 AM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 69 post(s)
I fished Friday in Grant County (SW Wisconsin) and was surprised to find most of the streams there heavily stained. There were thunderstorms earlier in the week, but it must've been more than indicated by radar and by the rainfall reports for the area.

Water temps were right around 60 degrees but the sun was really pounding down making it uncomfortable for both fish and fishermen. Dark streamers, bead head nymphs and San Juan Worms were getting some attention early in the day. By midday the water cleared just enough that Hippie Stompers and small Hopper patterns were bringing a few fish to the surface, but overall it was a pretty slow day.

I saw a couple vehicles parked at access points on one stream, but the rest I looked at were quiet.

I also managed to break my fly rod for the umpteenth time. I lifted the rod on a snag and it snapped like dry spaghetti, right in the middle of the third section. Must have been a defect or a nick creating a weak spot. That's twice with this rod since January. I guess I need to start treating these things a little more delicately. It was a long walk back to the car to retrieve up my backup rod.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
draik11  
#7 Posted : Monday, July 9, 2018 2:54:05 PM(UTC)
draik11

Thanks for the info, guys! Sorry to hear about your fly rod, Bill.

My buddies and I fished one stream all weekend near a southern sliver of Monroe County. The fishing was solid on bead head nymphs in the early AM hours. The afternoon was awesome! We threw various hoppers to undercut banks and shaded areas and caught a fish nearly every cast. We had to work hard to get our hopper completely underneath the undercut bank (to the point where we couldn't see the fly) and then listen for a slash. About 15 - 20 fish all weekend, which is good for us.

Another thing I want to point out is just how great this forum is. It's helped my buddy and I, another DTA'er by the name of Grooty1515, out a ton! We always appreciate the info and all the advice over the past few years!