Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
William Schlafer  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, July 11, 2018 6:00:36 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 74 time(s) in 64 post(s)
Here's a pattern for you Small Mouth fly rod guys out there: the Firefly 2.0 from the always hyperactive Gunnar Brammer. The plastic "Magic Hat" folded forward gives the fly a wobbling motion when retrieved.
UserPostedImage

He doesn't have a fly tying video of this pattern posted yet, but you can see it in action at approximately the 6:40 mark of the video below.

I'm thinking this might just be an effective fly for big Trout also. Looking forward to tying some up.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
thanks 1 user thanked William Schlafer for this useful post.
weiliwen on 7/12/2018(UTC)
Sponsor
WI-fly  
#2 Posted : Thursday, July 12, 2018 2:41:36 PM(UTC)
WI-fly

Man

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 14 post(s)
Thanks for sharing that video Bill. Very informative. I like his advice about fishing every cast, keep your line in the water, and then fish to your feet. Makes a lot of sense for trout fishing too, especially if throwing a streamer. Makes a lot of mathematical sense to me -- the more time your fly is in the water, the better the chance you will have to connect with a fish.
=============
Curt Rees
Coulee Region Trout Unlimited
Catch fish, have a good time, protect the resource.
CRTU Facebook
CRTU Instagram
trapper  
#3 Posted : Thursday, July 12, 2018 9:53:14 PM(UTC)
trapper

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Originally Posted by: WI-fly Go to Quoted Post
Thanks for sharing that video Bill. Very informative. I like his advice about fishing every cast, keep your line in the water, and then fish to your feet. Makes a lot of sense for trout fishing too, especially if throwing a streamer. Makes a lot of mathematical sense to me -- the more time your fly is in the water, the better the chance you will have to connect with a fish.

Some of us rarely false cast..
Unless U R drying off a fly..

Want to learn advanced techniques?
Book a guide trip with a guide who guides the guides.
Example: If I wanted to musky fly fish and learn, I would book a trip with Brad Bohen
Driftless Trout?
Get Reel
WI-fly  
#4 Posted : Monday, July 16, 2018 1:45:35 PM(UTC)
WI-fly

Man

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 14 post(s)
Trapper (and anyone else with an opinion),

Who would be a good guide for smallies in the Driftless area, even the Wisconsin River? I know Landwehr and crew specialize in SMB, but do they get this far south? My son and I were wanting to do one outing for smallies.

=============
Curt Rees
Coulee Region Trout Unlimited
Catch fish, have a good time, protect the resource.
CRTU Facebook
CRTU Instagram
JGF  
#5 Posted : Monday, July 16, 2018 4:43:56 PM(UTC)
JGF

Man
United States

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 11 post(s)

Who would be a good guide for smallies in the Driftless area, even the Wisconsin River? I know Landwehr and crew specialize in SMB, but do they get this far south? My son and I were wanting to do one outing for smallies.

The Lower Wisconsin is great and a really unique fishery. I've gone with Kyle Zempel and Black Earth Angling, Co. He's great as is my friend Ben who guides for BEAC.

The Lower, being largely sand is different from pretty much any other large smallie river in the state. The "crash" is something to experience. They know the Lower like nobody else.

Bleack Earth Angling Co. website

Hunter Dorn is in the Eau Claire area (used to be around Viroqua) to be closer to the rivers he drifts for smallies. Wisconsin Fly Fishing Co. website

Kip Vieth guides in Minnesota - largely on the upper Mississippi but also does the St. Croix and others. Kip is a really good guy and would be fun to fish with. Wildwood Float Trips website

I'm sure there are probably people that do walk and wade trips from smallies in the Driftless but I'm not familiar with them. But a guide with a boat is a really cool way to got at t them.
trapper  
#6 Posted : Monday, July 16, 2018 5:22:53 PM(UTC)
trapper

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 15 post(s)

I witnessed a 22 in her caught on the mighty Mississippi near one of my favorite towns- Lansing

Text my phone for local wading for SMB
Get Reel