Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

4 Pages<1234>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Gurth  
#21 Posted : Thursday, July 19, 2018 2:58:41 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 69 time(s) in 55 post(s)
That and every fish is different – some are just spunkier than others, even at the same size.

Still... my experience with smallies has been that they are the best fighters that I've encountered.

Weight is obviously a better comparison than length.

That said, a 14 inch smallie is probably similar in weight to a 16 inch brown and I'd bet on the smallie in that tug of war.

Another factor is that I get most of my smallies on lakes, so they have the advantage of depth to work with.

I've had some little (16 inchers) shits to the net and they've taken off with 20 yards of line more than once before I finally corral them.

I laugh when I watch the smallie shows – Zona, for instance – love him but he WAY over tackles and just reels them right in. I use my light rod with 8 lb and usually have my drag set similar to big trout fishing and the smallies go and go and go.

Would love to fish Milwaukee Harbor and get a 20 inch brown in 40 feet of water and see what that's like. OhMyGod

Doesn't really matter. Was just poking a little fun at the brookie love that we all exhibit at times.

Edited by user Thursday, July 19, 2018 3:05:52 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
NBrevitz  
#22 Posted : Thursday, July 19, 2018 4:46:01 PM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 29 post(s)
I’d probably rank it like this.
Kings (a fresh fish has incredible power and leaping ability)
Atlantic Salmon
Steelhead
Carp
Cats
Coho
Smallmouth OR Brook Trout
Brown Trout
Pike
Largemouth
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
OTC_MN  
#23 Posted : Thursday, July 19, 2018 6:14:17 PM(UTC)
OTC_MN

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Originally Posted by: NBrevitz Go to Quoted Post
Atlantic Salmon
Steelhead
Carp
Cats
Coho
Brown Trout
Pike
Largemouth

In fresh water, I'd honestly put sturgeon right at the top with Kings. Fish sturgeon and flatheads with similar tackle, and if you hooked a sturgeon in the same cover (wood/snags/etc/) as you do a flathead, you'd never land one.
"Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish."
- Roderick Haig-Brown
rschmidt  
#24 Posted : Thursday, July 19, 2018 7:00:44 PM(UTC)
rschmidt

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 30 post(s)
Well let's add in blue and killer whales too. Bass suck. No reason to confine our imagination to freshwater.
Hahaha.
rschmidt  
#25 Posted : Thursday, July 19, 2018 7:06:49 PM(UTC)
rschmidt

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 30 post(s)
Hell I caught this guy on the Kinni last night.

Kinni monster

Edited by user Thursday, July 19, 2018 7:09:02 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked rschmidt for this useful post.
NBrevitz on 7/19/2018(UTC)
Guillermo  
#26 Posted : Thursday, July 19, 2018 7:33:55 PM(UTC)
Guillermo

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 22 post(s)
Pretty soon we can probably find out how Asian carp fight. They must be good fighters, the damn things can fly!
NBrevitz  
#27 Posted : Thursday, July 19, 2018 8:25:35 PM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 29 post(s)
Originally Posted by: OTC_MN Go to Quoted Post
Atlantic Salmon
Steelhead
Carp
Cats
Coho
Brown Trout
Pike
Largemouth

In fresh water, I'd honestly put sturgeon right at the top with Kings. Fish sturgeon and flatheads with similar tackle, and if you hooked a sturgeon in the same cover (wood/snags/etc/) as you do a flathead, you'd never land one.

Good point, the one Sturgeon I’ve landed fought well above his 6-7 lbs, I thought I had a really, really nice Channel on. It’s just such a niche fishery that I didn’t even consider them, but they’re all muscle. I’d also put any Brookie over 15 inches above Smallies of the same length, but a 10 inch Smallmouth would kick the ass of any 10 inch Brookie, at least Driftless fish.
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
madguy30  
#28 Posted : Friday, July 20, 2018 2:21:42 AM(UTC)
madguy30

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 9 post(s)
Originally Posted by: OTC_MN Go to Quoted Post
Atlantic Salmon
Steelhead
Carp
Cats
Coho
Brown Trout
Pike
Largemouth

I'd actually put bluegill ahead of largemouth in size vs. fight.

Largemouth are basically like catching logs.

Smallmouth live in cooler (scenice/rocky) streams too. I still go back to Iowa occasionally and wade the Maquoketa and cast for smallmouth for an afternoon. Still great.
stan b  
#29 Posted : Friday, July 20, 2018 12:14:20 PM(UTC)
stan b

Man

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Gurth Go to Quoted Post
That and every fish is different – some are just spunkier than others, even at the same size.

Still... my experience with smallies has been that they are the best fighters that I've encountered.

Weight is obviously a better comparison than length.

That said, a 14 inch smallie is probably similar in weight to a 16 inch brown and I'd bet on the smallie in that tug of war.

Another factor is that I get most of my smallies on lakes, so they have the advantage of depth to work with.

I've had some little (16 inchers) shits to the net and they've taken off with 20 yards of line more than once before I finally corral them.

I laugh when I watch the smallie shows – Zona, for instance – love him but he WAY over tackles and just reels them right in. I use my light rod with 8 lb and usually have my drag set similar to big trout fishing and the smallies go and go and go.

Would love to fish Milwaukee Harbor and get a 20 inch brown in 40 feet of water and see what that's like. OhMyGod

Doesn't really matter. Was just poking a little fun at the brookie love that we all exhibit at times.

Catch a 12# + Steelhead on a fly rod in a trib and you will have some fun.
The big browns get up there on occasion as well, but the steelheads fight like hell!

Stan b

Edited by user Friday, July 20, 2018 12:14:58 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

"So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold
weiliwen  
#30 Posted : Friday, July 20, 2018 1:57:23 PM(UTC)
weiliwen

Man
United States

Was thanked: 29 time(s) in 24 post(s)
The list of fish I haven't caught is large, but for me, the fighting-est fish per pound:

Bluegill they tend to go insane when hooked. If the average bluegill were 5 lbs, you'd never catch one!
Chinook Salmon. I caught many of these on Oregon coastal streams. The makes would peel line off and head for the ocean; the females tended to go down and stay there.
Steelhead. At least on Oregon coastal streams, hooking one is the easy part; bringing them to the net was quite another.
Carp. They fight like hell - great fighters
rainbow Trout - on here because of their aerobatic nature.
cutthroat trout. Same. Maybe that's a characteristic of trout vs char?
Sturgeon. We fished them on the Columbia River, not much in the way of snags, but they could get 10 feet long, and they were very powerful. They'd even jump occasionally.
Never been too impressed by LMB. SMB fought well the single time I fished for them, but tended to stay down.
Bob Williams, "Weiliwen"