Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Gurth  
#11 Posted : Friday, August 3, 2018 1:18:41 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 56 time(s) in 43 post(s)
I'm with you to a large degree Stan.

I can handle the challenges, I just don't care to.

I've caught myself a few times with the overhead view during summer trout fishing while drenched in sweat, fighting for every step, a constant swarm of gnats seemingly trying to deafen, asphyxiate and blind me while catching 10 inch fish thinking, "W in the Mother F am I doing out here?" "This isn't fun on any level."

Funny thing is that after a week or two I forget and find myself back out in that hell. Laugh

More and more though, I'm looking for enjoyable experiences on the water (slightly) more than a specific species of fish.

The bass bug and the fun of top-water has hit hard of late.

Trout and stream fishing will likely always remain my first passion, but I'll get back to regular trouting after Labor Day and hopefully this fall is similar to last - which was incredible.

If the yak hadn't come along as an alternative, I'd still be trouting more often as I have a need to be near water and fish regularly and streams are the best sort of water.

It's good for the soul and also quiets those voices in my head…

Edited by user Friday, August 3, 2018 2:10:08 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
thanks 1 user thanked Gurth for this useful post.
stan b on 8/4/2018(UTC)
stan b  
#12 Posted : Saturday, August 4, 2018 11:54:18 AM(UTC)
stan b

Man

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Mr Gurth,
When you get a little older, the challenge is even greater.

When I was a youngster I would go to the farmers around that had ponds.
Each of these ponds had Blue Gill & LM Bass.
I would use my Dads fly rod and "poppin bugs."
It was a hoot!!!!
I think those things really pissed the fish off!Flapper

Soft body floaters as well but I don't remember the names of them.

Not the same kind of farm ponds where I am now and not quite as much energy to be out in the heat.

Again, the heart wants to, the body says "AIN'T HAPPENIN!"

The fall comes soon, will walk the Milwaukee river up by Newberg.
Tons of smallies.
Then the cooler weather comes and I start hitting the tributaries for Steelhead.
Then in the winter the Driftless.ThumpUp

"So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold
trapper  
#13 Posted : Saturday, August 4, 2018 4:29:22 PM(UTC)
trapper

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 17 post(s)
And that is one reason why I support opening the harvest season one month earlier in Wis
Get Reel
Buckman  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, August 14, 2018 8:38:16 PM(UTC)
Buckman

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Gurth Go to Quoted Post
I'm with you to a large degree Stan.

I can handle the challenges, I just don't care to.

I've caught myself a few times with the overhead view during summer trout fishing while drenched in sweat, fighting for every step, a constant swarm of gnats seemingly trying to deafen, asphyxiate and blind me while catching 10 inch fish thinking, "W in the Mother F am I doing out here?" "This isn't fun on any level."

Funny thing is that after a week or two I forget and find myself back out in that hell. Laugh

More and more though, I'm looking for enjoyable experiences on the water (slightly) more than a specific species of fish.

The bass bug and the fun of top-water has hit hard of late.

Trout and stream fishing will likely always remain my first passion, but I'll get back to regular trouting after Labor Day and hopefully this fall is similar to last - which was incredible.

If the yak hadn't come along as an alternative, I'd still be trouting more often as I have a need to be near water and fish regularly and streams are the best sort of water.

It's good for the soul and also quiets those voices in my head…

I was able to sneak out for a half a day this morning and check out Mt Vernon Creek for the first time. I found myself quickly in the summer sweat situation and forgot to pack my deet wipes in my pack...Lots of cussing at bugs and scaring up trout out of gin clear water ensued! I made up a fresh batch of spinners that I was anxious to check out using 0.035 wire instead of the lighter gauge I usually use, but couldn't even think about running them through all the weeds choking up the section I was on. Summer troutin and scoutin', Mt Vernon 1 Me 0.
Gurth  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, August 14, 2018 9:03:33 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 56 time(s) in 43 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Buckman Go to Quoted Post

I was able to sneak out for a half a day this morning and check out Mt Vernon Creek for the first time. I found myself quickly in the summer sweat situation and forgot to pack my deet wipes in my pack...Lots of cussing at bugs and scaring up trout out of gin clear water ensued! I made up a fresh batch of spinners that I was anxious to check out using 0.035 wire instead of the lighter gauge I usually use, but couldn't even think about running them through all the weeds choking up the section I was on. Summer troutin and scoutin', Mt Vernon 1 Me 0.

Hmmmm...

Was just considering playing hooky from hockey tonight to go trouting, but your bug report has me less than enthused.

Front coming so I feel like I should fish. Maybe take the yak and be able to run with tail between my legs if the bugs chase me away.

And Vernie is tough in March before the weeds grow up. I don't go there this time of year too often.

Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
Buckman  
#16 Posted : Tuesday, August 14, 2018 9:15:41 PM(UTC)
Buckman

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Gurth Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Buckman Go to Quoted Post

Hmmmm...

Was just considering playing hooky from hockey tonight to go trouting, but your bug report has me less than enthused.

Front coming so I feel like I should fish. Maybe take the yak and be able to run with tail between my legs if the bugs chase me away.

And Vernie is tough in March before the weeds grow up. I don't go there this time of year too often.

I would have stayed a bit longer if I hadn't rushed out the door this morning in my haste to finally get to do some scouting. Forgetting the deet this time of year was a bad move for sure! It looks like it will be great water once the weeds clear out, although I did see a well-beaten path along the creek that speaks volumes to the amount of traffic these fish probably see. No wonder that between the skeets, the weeds, clear water and wily trout, it made for quite the morning! Good info on the timeline of this place, I'll be sure to remember that.

Edit: sorry for the full quotes, my social media skills are worse than my fishing skill!

Edited by user Tuesday, August 14, 2018 9:17:39 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified