Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Gurth  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, August 7, 2018 3:08:01 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 56 time(s) in 43 post(s)
Originally Posted by: shebs Go to Quoted Post

Holy Jesus that's insane.
I retract my statement, a heron could definitely have eaten that brookie. I still think it was an eagle, but holy hell. That's a lot more fish than I would have thought would fit down his throat.

Saw one do that in Florida a few years back at Blue Springs while watching manatees but didn't get a photo of it. They were hunting gars and plecostomus-looking things.

Seeing a lot more green herons this year than ever before although not really on trout streams – only in the slowest portions.

Don't think they're really set up physically to do moving water. Cool to see though as I had mostly seen them down south.

Good looking bird.

Edited by user Tuesday, August 7, 2018 3:08:39 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
madguy30  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, August 8, 2018 1:33:00 AM(UTC)
madguy30

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 9 post(s)
Could have been either one. Heron are crazy stealth.

Pretty sure the hatchery in Decorah is a buffet for the famous Decorah Eagles.
Hegawn  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, August 8, 2018 2:35:41 PM(UTC)
Hegawn

United States

This heron talk reminds me of the time I was fishing with my wife several years ago on a Chippewa Flowage bog. The heron are many and some tame. A heron parked close enough for me to get the idea to toss one of the many 5-6" bluegill I was catching at him/her. The heron caught the bluegill in midair, flipped it and swallowed it head first all in one motion. Watched in amazement as the heron stretched his neck out with the bluegill shaped bulge moved down his throat. I tossed one more but he let it hit the bog and then gobbled the bluegill up.

Steve Sisko, the resort owner at Sisko's Resort warned me to be ready to protect your eyes if you get close to them.

Almost hit one yesterday flying low across I39 just north of Portage.
"When you come to a fork in the stream, take it!" - if Yogi Berra was a trout chaser...
William Schlafer  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, August 8, 2018 4:01:08 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 75 time(s) in 65 post(s)
Along with Bald Eagles, I've seen more Sandhill Cranes and Herons in the last few years than I've ever seen in my 60 years on this rock. They were uncommon around SW Wisconsin when I was a kid. You had to travel north into the remote swampy lake areas, or over to the Mississippi River valley to find them. I see them now on nearly every trip to the DA while Trout fishing.

There's a pair of Sandhill Cranes living right next to the building where I work, right in the middle of an office park in Milwaukee. There's water nearby, but they generally just stick by the building stealing seed from bird feeders. In the spring two males were jousting for the attention of the female. Every now and then the males would attack their reflection in the glass windows, poking at it with their beaks and making that damned loud prehistoric sounding squawking noise.

UserPostedImage

Every day they get a little bolder and more indifferent to the presence of people. I expect some night a stray dog or maybe a coyote will do them in. Or they'll get hit by a car or truck.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
Gurth  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, August 8, 2018 4:39:05 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 56 time(s) in 43 post(s)
I've noticed the gradual and steady resurgence of sandies over the past 10-15 years, as I'm sure you all have.

They're everywhere now, including my yard at times. Not surprised they have found their way to the Milwaukee burbs as they seem to be adapted to living near humans.

Doubt a coyote or dog could easily take one as they are decent sized and can be quite confident. I've had them take their time crossing a road in front of my van and even had them face us down and block a bike path until their chick (which was the size of a small dog) was clear.

My favorite is the couple times that they've come in for a landing right over my head on the stream.

Can hear them calling upon approach like a dinosaur from Jurassic Park and then they pass 10 feet overhead and the sun disappears.

Like a freaking pterodactyl.

The wingspan is impressive when seen at such a close proximity.

Have to imagine a hunting season will happen at some point.
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
rschmidt  
#16 Posted : Thursday, August 9, 2018 11:35:43 AM(UTC)
rschmidt

Was thanked: 27 time(s) in 23 post(s)
I resided in Marquette County WI for a while and that county was in the Sandhill migration path. You would see thousands of them with your naked eye. Pretty impressive. R