Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

5 Pages<12345>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Zugbug  
#21 Posted : Wednesday, August 22, 2018 2:11:43 AM(UTC)
Zugbug

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Originally Posted by: William Schlafer Go to Quoted Post
Yikes.

If the bridge isn't damaged, it shouldn't take too long to fix that washout. I bet it's a mess on many of the roads and bridges nearby along Garfoot, Vermont, Elvers and Trout Creeks to the west and south. Gordon Creek is probably getting rearranged again too.

Hopefully the Shoe Box didn't get damaged. I love walking around that store just to see all the sports memorabilia.

-Bill

Looks like the damage to the HY 14 bridge is significant.
William Schlafer  
#22 Posted : Wednesday, August 22, 2018 2:37:44 AM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 97 time(s) in 83 post(s)
Drone video of the washout at the Hwy 14 bridge in Black Earth. At the end of the video they show a high wide shot of part of the town and the valley looking west. You can really get a feel for the extent of the flood. An amazing amount of water from a small creek. Going to be a lot of crop damage all the way down to the Wisconsin River.

Mother Nature is in a foul mood.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
Gurth  
#23 Posted : Wednesday, August 22, 2018 4:26:17 AM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 72 time(s) in 58 post(s)
I'd call it a medium creek at the least once you get to Black Earth. Maybe even almost-large.

REALLY big watershed though and much of Middleton, which is upstream, is still under some water - they got even more rain than my 'hood did and are only 5 miles away.

Everything from Mount Horeb to Blue Mounds State Park flows down that way in 3 or 4 streams on its way to the Wisco.

People were trapped in the Costco overnight. The business park where the Costco is would be just above the extreme headwaters of BEC.

Edited by user Wednesday, August 22, 2018 4:28:44 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
big_river_bum  
#24 Posted : Wednesday, August 22, 2018 10:39:15 AM(UTC)
big_river_bum

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 14 post(s)
Drone video of the washout at the Hwy 14 bridge in Black Earth. At the end of the video they show a high wide shot of part of the town and the valley looking west. You can really get a feel for the extent of the flood. An amazing amount of water from a small creek. Going to be a lot of crop damage all the way down to the Wisconsin River.

-Bill

crazy! i wouldn't be walking out onto that bridge, much less roll my kid out on a stroller. wouldn't you think the integrity of the whole structure is compromised?

big_river_bum  
#25 Posted : Wednesday, August 22, 2018 10:41:28 AM(UTC)
big_river_bum

hopefully no one was hurt. remember last year a guy was killed when a bridge that size gave out on highway 82 near lansing

is madison area prone to flooding? i remember going to school there and the whole northeast side was under water. a couple people died getting off a bus into water that had a down powerline in it
big_river_bum  
#26 Posted : Wednesday, August 22, 2018 11:57:20 AM(UTC)
big_river_bum

Sadly, it looks as though someone died in Madison

I notice whenever the news shows flooding the background is nothing but cars driving through the flood waters
William Schlafer  
#27 Posted : Wednesday, August 22, 2018 4:08:40 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 97 time(s) in 83 post(s)
Originally Posted by: big_river_bum Go to Quoted Post

-Bill

crazy! i wouldn't be walking out onto that bridge, much less roll my kid out on a stroller. wouldn't you think the integrity of the whole structure is compromised?

The DOT experts will have to take a look at it. But to my eyes, the bridge looks intact. It's just part of the roadway next to it that got washed out. If there's no damage to the structure of the bridge itself, it should be pretty straight forward to fill in the cut and repave it. That bridge has seen a lot of high water over the decades.

Hwy 14 is an important road for the local economy and for transport traffic from the west side of the state to Madison. It looks like Mazomanie got hit even harder than Black Earth. Diverting around both of those villages when it's flooded is a major headache as most of the back roads are also hit hard. It will be important to the local economy to get that road reopened soon.

I grew up in SW Wisconsin and the area has a long history of catastrophic flooding. Going to be a tough fall for some folks there, but they will rebound like they always do.

Mazomanie:
UserPostedImage

Road closures as of today (8/22/18):

Dane County
US 14, Closed, Bridge approach washed out near STH 78 intersection by the Shoe Box. Detour being prepared
US 14, Closed, Beltline to Black Earth
US 14, Closed, Ramps to beltline are under water, signals are being checked. Greenway Ramps at Beltline are also closed
STH 69, Closed, Paoli to Verona, water over roadway
STH 92, Closed, River St. to CTH W due to water over the roadway
STH 78, Closed, US 14 to STH 19, Black Earth to Mazomanie
STH 19, High water, US 12 to STH 78, Springfield Corners to Mazomanie
STH 69, Open, CTH D, Belleville
STH 78, Open, CTH A to Green County Line, between Daleyville – Blanchardville

-Bill

Edited by user Wednesday, August 22, 2018 4:11:55 PM(UTC)  | Reason: added road closures

“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
NBrevitz  
#28 Posted : Wednesday, August 22, 2018 4:58:15 PM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 30 post(s)
I've got a local creek that desperately needs a flood. Silt has filled the pools to the point where belly button deep water a couple years ago is now up to my knees. The problem is, for this creek to get better, you'd need a flood like Dane County just had, and the Kinni/Rush would become the Minnesota River for a few days....
That's another bad flood for the area less than 2 years after the gully washer of 2016, yikes.
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
madguy30  
#29 Posted : Wednesday, August 22, 2018 8:24:43 PM(UTC)
madguy30

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 11 post(s)
hopefully no one was hurt. remember last year a guy was killed when a bridge that size gave out on highway 82 near lansing

is madison area prone to flooding? i remember going to school there and the whole northeast side was under water. a couple people died getting off a bus into water that had a down powerline in it

Sadly the guy got pulled under the car and died, and also there's lots of businesses that were tore up.

I wouldn't say Madison is prone to flooding, but I think a lot of the west side is build on old swamp/wetlands types of surface that can get held up pretty quickly.

Any spot that gets what, 12-13 inches in a night (?), is going to have a hard time avoiding flooding.
big_river_bum  
#30 Posted : Thursday, August 23, 2018 2:11:27 AM(UTC)
big_river_bum

Originally Posted by: madguy30 Go to Quoted Post

Any spot that gets what, 12-13 inches in a night (?), is going to have a hard time avoiding flooding.

true. i guess i didnt see the rainfall totals