Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

5 Pages«<2345>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
NDFlatlander  
#31 Posted : Friday, August 24, 2018 12:11:11 AM(UTC)
NDFlatlander

Man

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
On a lighter note, most of the streams north and west of me seem to be mostly unaffected by Monday's rain.
weiliwen  
#32 Posted : Friday, August 24, 2018 12:14:38 AM(UTC)
weiliwen

Man
United States

Was thanked: 29 time(s) in 24 post(s)
My house is in northern Illinois and is alongside the Des Plaines River which feeds well into Wisconsin nearly to Lake Geneva, and it went up only 4 inches. That rain was very narrowly focused. People in Middleton had to spend the night on the second shelf of Costco, as they first got caught inside then had to climb up when the store itself flooded! That's messed up.
Bob Williams, "Weiliwen"
William Schlafer  
#33 Posted : Friday, August 24, 2018 1:01:25 AM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 97 time(s) in 83 post(s)
Just got back from a trip to Vernon county. All the streams I saw there were in great late summer shape. Driving up and down I-90/94 I didn't see any high water, standing water, or evidence of flooding until just north of Madison.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
Gurth  
#34 Posted : Friday, August 24, 2018 3:31:19 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 72 time(s) in 58 post(s)
First wave of Rainmageddon II broke up and went south of here.

Were calling for up to 3 inches today, which we don't need.

Hopefully the second line in Iowa does the same.

Don't recall another year where my lawn never yellowed at any time during the summer.

Edited by user Friday, August 24, 2018 3:32:32 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
madguy30  
#35 Posted : Friday, August 24, 2018 8:36:39 PM(UTC)
madguy30

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Gurth Go to Quoted Post
First wave of Rainmageddon II broke up and went south of here.

Were calling for up to 3 inches today, which we don't need.

Hopefully the second line in Iowa does the same.

Don't recall another year where my lawn never yellowed at any time during the summer.

But oddly I've seen some grassy areas that look dry, and some trees have had an early hint of fall colors scattered.

I just realized I could probably fish in the streets of Madison right now and find bluegills.

Fished the WI River in Spring Green yesterday and Praire du Sac area.

South side of the river in Spring Green was cold and dirtied up from the creeks flowing into it. Prairie du Sac area was pretty standard and actually it looked like there was some form of blue green algae around.

I had what I call the WI River feeding frenzy which means I saw some carp swirl around and didn't catch a fish. Happens every time, haha.

HookJaw  
#36 Posted : Saturday, August 25, 2018 10:40:43 AM(UTC)
HookJaw

Man

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 6 post(s)

Thanks to all that rain, I was able to kayak 7 miles of the middle/upper Blue River on Wednesday...a beautiful stretch with boulder gardens that I never would've spent the time to wade/fish.

I have learned this summer that when Mother Nature turns the trout streams to UN-fishable messes, she is also turning those streams in to whitewater roller coasters!

...cruisin the 'Poo in my Gum Tree Canoe
Gurth  
#37 Posted : Saturday, August 25, 2018 12:04:27 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

One of my favorite stretches in SW WI in terms of natural beauty.

My buddy has a cabin along there and is always trying to get me to yak it but it’d be a lot of portaging during normal conditions.
William Schlafer  
#38 Posted : Monday, September 3, 2018 7:40:34 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Rainfall totals for the last 14 days...

UserPostedImage

Up to 2 more inches forecast for the next couple of days, and then finally a break for SW Wisconsin.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
William Schlafer  
#39 Posted : Wednesday, September 5, 2018 1:33:04 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Here's an aerial video [/url] of the Jersey Valley dam failure, with some nice before/after shots for comparison.

I wonder if the county will spend the money fix the breech, or just let Mother Nature have her way? It was a nice recreational lake and it would be a shame to lose that. The region has a huge effort ahead to fix the roads, bridges and infrastructure damaged by the flood. Fixing the dam may be a lower priority.

Here's the impressive list of Vernon county road closures. Even when the creeks recover, just getting around is going to be difficult for awhile.

-Bill

Update: reports are that the Timber Coulee and the West Fork Kickapoo were especially hard hit. Bridges out or damaged, and roadways in need of repair. The creeks are also likely hard hit and will have lots of debris and mud along the banks. Best to avoid those areas and allow the folks living there to pick up the pieces.

Edited by user Wednesday, September 5, 2018 1:51:51 PM(UTC)  | Reason: added edit

Gurth  
#40 Posted : Wednesday, September 5, 2018 2:16:23 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

I bet that a lot of the smaller streams will be fishable quite soon. Some up high probably already are.

I was planning on maybe checking out that "lake" in my yak if I were to attend a Trapfest.

Even if they restore it, it will be a few years before the fishery (in the "lake") rebounds as they'll need to restock and those fish will need to grow.

Some dramatic music in that vid.

Overall, I'm torn.

I want these things gone but I also understand that not everyone sees the world or our resources through trout-tinted glasses. People want these parks and the associated small lakes... and I get that.

I'm not opposed to fishing them (although impoundments are rarely as productive as natural lakes), since they are there and the Driftless is otherwise devoid of lakes for the most part.

On the other hand, so many potentially good streams are hurt or wrecked by these dams.

Otter Creek near Dodgeville is a ruined fishery due to Blackhawk Lake. It would be on par with the other great streams/rivers in that area if not for its headwaters being dammed up.

Sure, there are (stocked) fish in there, but it's a class 3 when it should be a premier class 1.

There are several more streams between Madison and Dodgeville that have similar dams and are adversely affected.

Kind of hoping they don't restore it, but I'm guessing they will as the other park infrastructure is already in place. In addition, all of the remainder of that dam and the silt in the former lake will eventually end up in the West Kick if they don't.

Of course, should they let it be, the headwaters will now be open to trout, which would be a great thing.