Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
billybigbilly  
#1 Posted : Friday, August 24, 2018 6:26:08 PM(UTC)
billybigbilly

Man

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Hello all,
School starts monday so I decided before I swore of my life to the rigor of premed I would do a big fishing trip. I went to a brook trout stream an hour away and started fishing the upper section. It was a small stream and without any rain it was very shallow and silty. I found a spring and as I was reporting it to the DNR I looked up and said screw it. I was tired of fishing these small tree choked streams. Sure I would catch fish, but this was my last summer hurrah. So I decided to drive another hour and a half and go Driftless.
And so began my first driftless adventure.
I chose a brook trout stream that had some easements and some work done to it. As I drove down into the valley I started getting really excited, it was pretty beautiful. As I walked down to the water I could see fish swimming around, This is it I thought to myself. I hiked down stream to the end of the HI work and the easement and fished upward. I caught some trout right off the bat.
UserPostedImage
moving to the next pool I caught these two
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
The second one had so cool stripes on it's back.
I tied two black ants earlier this week and I managed to fool two fish but neither stayed on, Ill have to keep refining my skills in the art of fly fishing.
I was surprised when fishing the HI area there would be these long runs filled with weeds and silt. There were fish there but sinking in the muck and weeds made it hard to fish. Halfway through my adventure I was walking in a mucky patch and decided to walk in the center of the stream where it was gravelly. When turning the muck took one of my shoes. After about a half an hour of searching I decided to give up on the search. I was now in the middle of the stream and far away from the end with only 1 shoe.
But I caught two more nice brookies so I guess you win some and you lose some.
Moving up i caught some more fish, by now my go pro was out of battery so no more pictures. I saw some nice brook trout but they wouldn't hit my spinners and i caught some more 8 inchers.
Leaving the HI section the substrate became more rocky and it was a pain only having one covered foot. Casting in between two weeds and hooking up with a trout though reminded me that hey this is fun and even though I lost a shoe I was still having a good time. I ended the night with a 12 inch brown that I took home to help the brookies out.
Overall it was a fun first adventure in the driftless. Losing the sandal sucks, Ill have to go back to water shoes, but I caught lots of trout most of them brook trout which was my plan all along. Maybe Ill make one more trip out there before the season closes I have already marked down a few more streams Laugh
Sponsor
William Schlafer  
#2 Posted : Friday, August 24, 2018 7:40:02 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 101 time(s) in 87 post(s)
Well done! Pretty Brookies.

You were obviously wet wading without wading boots. I can't imagine walking around the creek with just one shoe on. That's dedication!

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
Gurth  
#3 Posted : Friday, August 24, 2018 10:22:50 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 74 time(s) in 60 post(s)
Looks like fun and you even had a little adversity to make it more memorable.

Growing up, we didn't have waders and went barefoot in the north woods stream that I first fished on.

Was mostly sand bottomed with sticks/logs every once in a while and some stones.

Was fine once your feet went numb and weren't hurting from the chilly water.

Have not seen a Driftless stream yet that I'd want to try that on.

Edited by user Saturday, August 25, 2018 12:46:00 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
NBrevitz  
#4 Posted : Saturday, August 25, 2018 4:51:56 AM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 30 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Gurth Go to Quoted Post

Growing up, we didn't have waders and went barefoot in the north woods stream that I first fished on.

Was mostly sand bottomed with sticks/logs every once in a while and some stones.

A couple years ago, some friends and I went camping on the Whitewater in mid April. It was 80 in April and we were impaired, so we waded barefeet. Between the 48 degree water and alcohol we didn’t feel it until the next day, which was spent hobbling through pastures and telling farmers we weren’t injured.
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
billybigbilly  
#5 Posted : Sunday, August 26, 2018 8:29:28 PM(UTC)
billybigbilly

Man

Originally Posted by: Gurth Go to Quoted Post

Is it even trout fishing if nothing challenging is happening?
Through the 2 years I have been trout fishing I have perfected the art of wet wading, or so I thought.
I started out with water shoes and swim shorts. Luckily stinging nettle doesn't affect me after 5 minutes of itching but i think popping allergy pills helped but my legs would get so scratched up afterwards I ended up buying nylon hiking pants. I then upgraded my water shoes to some sandals but it looks like now i'm back to the water shoes.
In the end of it all i'm just glad I didn't meet a snapping turtle with my toes!
NBrevitz  
#6 Posted : Sunday, August 26, 2018 11:02:22 PM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Also, your pictures just loaded for me. That’s a fun pasture when there’s some stain, there are some big boys up there if you head back.
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
billybigbilly  
#7 Posted : Monday, August 27, 2018 12:08:55 AM(UTC)
billybigbilly

Man

Originally Posted by: NBrevitz Go to Quoted Post
Also, your pictures just loaded for me. That’s a fun pasture when there’s some stain, there are some big boys up there if you head back.

You recognize the stream from those pictures? And i plan on it, I'm going to make a trip there and to another one close by one of these days if I have time.

NBrevitz  
#8 Posted : Monday, August 27, 2018 1:48:26 AM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Originally Posted by: billybigbilly Go to Quoted Post

You recognize the stream from those pictures? And i plan on it, I'm going to make a trip there and to another one close by one of these days if I have time.

Yup, I saw the crook in the hill and the barn😂 That’s a fun section but there are bigger fish a bit further down. Crazy numbers there in the winter.

Edited by user Monday, August 27, 2018 1:49:00 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

billybigbilly  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, August 28, 2018 3:32:16 AM(UTC)
billybigbilly

Man

Originally Posted by: billybigbilly Go to Quoted Post

Yup, I saw the crook in the hill and the barn😂 That’s a fun section but there are bigger fish a bit further down. Crazy numbers there in the winter.

Dang that's good, and welp if you are ever back there and see a shoe you know who to call!