Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jfinn  
#1 Posted : Monday, August 27, 2018 5:52:02 PM(UTC)
jfinn

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I'm planning on taking my 8 year old out for his 1st trip to the Driftless in the month of September and have been working on getting him use to catching fish on a fly however I'm planning on bringing a spinning rod also so that he can choose how he wants to fish, I know he might get frustrated at the fly rod. Can any of you spin guys suggest a few lures I should pick up for him to use while he uses his ultra light rod?
Sponsor
William Schlafer  
#2 Posted : Monday, August 27, 2018 6:09:42 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 97 time(s) in 83 post(s)
Watched a kid fishing with a spin rod, a bobber and a Pink Squirrel at Trout Fest in Coon Valley once. He was doing just as well as anyone.

Otherwise, spinners are the ticket. I'm sure the experts will chime in with exact models and sizes.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
Gurth  
#3 Posted : Monday, August 27, 2018 6:24:24 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 72 time(s) in 58 post(s)
In before the experts...

Flapper

Size 4 or 6 Panther Martins. NOT 1 or 2.

Size 9 is ideal for deeper water, but if your son's cast accuracy isn't the best, they are easy to overcast as they are heavy for a UL.

Most colors work but late in the year I tend to favor a gold blade, especially for browns although brookies will take them too.

A second color option that usually works is a white blade.

Don't bother with Mepps or other spinners. If you want him to actually catch fish, PMs are the best.

They spin better in currents and also are more forgiving if someone's retrieve isn't smooth.

Edited by user Monday, August 27, 2018 6:26:05 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
Gurth  
#4 Posted : Monday, August 27, 2018 6:43:15 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

There is a recent Orvis podcast that focusses on taking your kids (family) fishing with you.

Not suggesting that OP needs advice in this area, but I found it to be informative even for the next time I take my 19yo or my wife out.

Very few within my circle have the stamina or stomach to fish as long or as uninterrupted as I want to.

"Lunch? Lunch is for cowards!"
jfinn  
#5 Posted : Monday, August 27, 2018 7:10:10 PM(UTC)
jfinn

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Gurth Go to Quoted Post
In before the experts...

Flapper

Size 4 or 6 Panther Martins. NOT 1 or 2.

Size 9 is ideal for deeper water, but if your son's cast accuracy isn't the best, they are easy to overcast as they are heavy for a UL.

Most colors work but late in the year I tend to favor a gold blade, especially for browns although brookies will take them too.

A second color option that usually works is a white blade.

Don't bother with Mepps or other spinners. If you want him to actually catch fish, PMs are the best.

They spin better in currents and also are more forgiving if someone's retrieve isn't smooth.

When you say size 4 or 6 does that correspond to a weight? or hook size? I don't know much of anything about spinners.
Gurth  
#6 Posted : Monday, August 27, 2018 7:16:24 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Panther Martin

4s are 1/8 oz and 6s are 1/4 oz.

On the linked page ABOVE, the regular gold are the ones that work the most often for me - especially on browns. Some days require other colors though.

The nature series "brown trout" on the page linked below often work when the gold blade fails.

Nature Series

Both are usually available if a store carries PMs.
NBrevitz  
#7 Posted : Monday, August 27, 2018 11:07:37 PM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 30 post(s)
Gurth is certainly an expert, he routinely catches nice fish on the doorstep of Madison.👌
And yes, Panther Martins in size 4-6 are good for beginners. Once he gets a feel for his rod, I’d have him use #9s too. TRUST ME, they aren’t too big. I know a #9 looks obscenely big but I’ve caught hundreds of fish stick Browns and Brookies on them.
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
thanks 1 user thanked NBrevitz for this useful post.
Gurth on 8/28/2018(UTC)
trapper  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, August 28, 2018 1:13:40 AM(UTC)
trapper

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 21 post(s)
When I guide young folks I prefer crawlers on a #6 short shank hook with just enough weight/sinkers to keep bait near bottom , yet moving with the current.
I find its much more important to catch fish and plenty of them.
Memories are made fishing, but catching seals the deal.
Bring ice to preserve the catch and cook and serve them up.
Get Reel
thanks 1 user thanked trapper for this useful post.
s.t.fanatic on 8/29/2018(UTC)
NBrevitz  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, August 28, 2018 1:53:42 AM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 30 post(s)
As for colors, I prefer the gold blade/black with yellow spots body, OR, the silver blade/ yellow with red spots body. All black and yellow works well on off days, as does the all yellow and red.
As for bait, it’s crack for Trout in most instances, but be prepared to keep some fish. Lots of streams on both sides of the Mississippi need harvest so don’t feel bad doing it, there’s a reason a bunch of streams got bumped to a 10 fish bag. I like long shanks for easier removal but you’ll land more fish on short shank hooks. Tell you kid to set the hook immediately when he feels 2 or 3 taps.
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
Gurth  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, August 28, 2018 3:10:55 AM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Originally Posted by: NBrevitz Go to Quoted Post
Gurth is certainly an expert, he routinely catches nice fish on the doorstep of Madison.👌
And yes, Panther Martins in size 4-6 are good for beginners. Once he gets a feel for his rod, I’d have him use #9s too. TRUST ME, they aren’t too big. I know a #9 looks obscenely big but I’ve caught hundreds of fish stick Browns and Brookies on them.

Haha... while very confident in my own trout abilities, I've got a ways to go before I'm an expert.

Finding this site made a huge difference in my interest in trout fishing as finding other locals and a site that caters to ALL forms of trout fishing catapulted me from a regular trout fisher to an obsessive freak.

Also... you guys convinced me to try the 9s and I haven't looked back.

Still uses 6s about the same amount but I've got a huge inventory of 4s that I may never use. Laugh