Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
shebs  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, August 28, 2018 4:04:26 AM(UTC)
shebs

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 18 post(s)
Those 4s are good for winter fishing...But that's about it LOL
A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. ~Author Unknown
Modern Translation, with respect for the Notorious B.I.G. : "Fuck Money, Get Fishes"
rschmidt  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, August 28, 2018 10:29:51 AM(UTC)
rschmidt

Was thanked: 30 time(s) in 26 post(s)
Your boy is pretty young. If he has the attention span mine had at 8yo, get 1/16th or 1/8th oz. jig heads, a slip or standard bobber set to near bottom, and use crawlers. The current is going to be difficult for him to stay unsnagged. He will also end up gut hooking a few, so like mentioned bring your stringer and cooler with ice. Casting a spinner of any size is going to take quite a bit of fine motor skill and could be very boring for him. Have fun!!

Edited by user Tuesday, August 28, 2018 10:31:54 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked rschmidt for this useful post.
s.t.fanatic on 8/29/2018(UTC)
rschmidt  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, August 28, 2018 10:30:53 AM(UTC)
rschmidt

Was thanked: 30 time(s) in 26 post(s)
Originally Posted by: shebs Go to Quoted Post

Don't give him a 1/2oz tank magnet or you may lose an eye! Hahaha Drool

R
weiliwen  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, August 28, 2018 12:24:32 PM(UTC)
weiliwen

Man
United States

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 19 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Gurth Go to Quoted Post
Finding this site made a huge difference in my interest in trout fishing as finding other locals and a site that caters to ALL forms of trout fishing catapulted me from a regular trout fisher to an obsessive freak.

This is one of the things I like best about DTA as well.

Bob Williams, "Weiliwen"
Gurth  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, August 28, 2018 12:30:38 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 62 time(s) in 49 post(s)

Shhhh!

I gotta find someone to buy these off me.

Seriously though... they worked for me for most of my life and I caught plenty on them including big fish.

The same issue that you hear about for streamers (nymphs too?) regarding getting the lure down quick applies to spinners though and the quick sink is the real advantage of the 9s. Gotta get it in their face.

I don't believe that the size of the blade makes much difference at all as I've gotten big trout and even northerns up to almost 30 inches on size 4 PMs.

YMMV

Edited by user Tuesday, August 28, 2018 12:31:44 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
OTC_MN  
#16 Posted : Tuesday, August 28, 2018 1:45:55 PM(UTC)
OTC_MN

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Lots of good advice already, but a couple additional thoughts.

- In addition to PMs, my son caught a lot of fish on small Rapalas. At times they'd outfish spinners. The Rapala Ultralight series in particular - both the minnow, and, for whatever reason, the shad-style. I had some I use crappie fishing (they're positively murder on crappies BTW) and tossed them in my son's trout box on a whim, and they did very well for him. When he was 10 he caught back to back 18-inchers on consecutive casts on one. One brown, one holdover rainbow.

- Get a couple clear casting bubbles. You can put a bead head nymph under one and it's no different than a strike indicator on a fly rod, although a bit bigger. Fill it up with a little water, and rig it so the narrow pointed end is pointing toward the rod tip. When the point tips up, it's a fish. My son used this quite a bit and did pretty well, and it's a great way to teach the idea of getting a good drift without the additional complication of managing a fly rod and line. Only caveat is they do land kind of hard, so cast a little further upstream. I had him dead drift nymphs and wooly buggers and even swing wet flies with a casting bubble, and he caught fish. I can remember one occasion where he outfished me pretty thoroughly on one stretch swinging wet flies, and I swear it was because the stupid fish were coming up to look at the casting bubble plowing across the surface, then hitting his soft hackle.

"Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish."
- Roderick Haig-Brown
thanks 1 user thanked OTC_MN for this useful post.
s.t.fanatic on 8/29/2018(UTC)
Gurth  
#17 Posted : Tuesday, August 28, 2018 2:09:22 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 62 time(s) in 49 post(s)
I like the casting bubble idea (I thought they were just clear bobbers Laugh ) and bought some a couple of years ago but tried em once for a few minutes and haven't gotten back to them.

I've tried to figure out a million ways to throw a fly with a spinning rod.

Maybe I should just learn to fly fish.

Flapper
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
shebs  
#18 Posted : Tuesday, August 28, 2018 2:16:31 PM(UTC)
shebs

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 18 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Gurth Go to Quoted Post

Shhhh!

I gotta find someone to buy these off me.

Seriously though... they worked for me for most of my life and I caught plenty on them including big fish.

The same issue that you hear about for streamers (nymphs too?) regarding getting the lure down quick applies to spinners though and the quick sink is the real advantage of the 9s. Gotta get it in their face.

I don't believe that the size of the blade makes much difference at all as I've gotten big trout and even northerns up to almost 30 inches on size 4 PMs.

YMMV

I agree with this 100%.
In the winter fish are reluctant to chase big blades and seem to be more easily spooked by the big splash. they will still take 4s in the summer if you can get them down to where they're hiding, but 1/2 oz just does a better job of that ThumpUp

A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. ~Author Unknown
Modern Translation, with respect for the Notorious B.I.G. : "Fuck Money, Get Fishes"
jfinn  
#19 Posted : Tuesday, August 28, 2018 5:24:46 PM(UTC)
jfinn

Thanks for all the replies guys, I'll have to go pick up some gear and find a stream to take him to so we can take a few home. I was thinking of going out this Saturday but I'm not sure with the conditions that I want to take him out yet but I will before the end of the 2018 season.
hougie  
#20 Posted : Wednesday, August 29, 2018 1:45:45 AM(UTC)
hougie

Man
United States
Location: I split time between the twin cities and Onalaska, Wisconsin

First great job on taking the kid fishing!

Unfortunately our local waters near Coon Valley as you have probably read by now are in a state of emergency flooding.

I am not sure how this will affect things the rest of the year. It looks real bad. Not sure where your planning on fishing but the streams in Vernon county are in bad shape as of today.

That said. I have been spinner fishing for years and if I had to choose 1 spinner and only 1 I would hands down use the Blue Fox #2 super vibrax silver spinner with no hair.
I have unquestionably caught more trout on that spinner and my best fish on that spinner. Good luck out there!

https://www.rapala.com/b...mp;cgid=bluefox-spinners

Edited by user Wednesday, August 29, 2018 1:46:28 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified