Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Life of Riley  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, August 29, 2018 4:24:38 PM(UTC)
Life of Riley

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Thinking about a net for trout fishing. A buddy said that he's tried it before but it is always tangling up and catching on branches while going through the woods. This is my first season troutin' and I've been hand landing them. But I just keep thinking that if I can get that monster to bite that I had chase my spinner in late may I probably wouldn't be able to bare hand her. Eyes as big as silver dollars, and a girth as thick as your thigh.
Sponsor
William Schlafer  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, August 29, 2018 5:14:32 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 81 time(s) in 68 post(s)
Definitely get a net.

Typically less stress on the Trout if you handle them in a net. And less adventure trying to land a big one. Frabil makes some nice ones that aren't too expensive, light and get the job done. The 11x15 teardrop size I've found to be just about right for most DA stream situations.

Rose Creek Net Release is also an excellent accessory for holding your net.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
shebs  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, August 29, 2018 6:36:33 PM(UTC)
shebs

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 18 post(s)
I like the 14x17 frabil...with a replacement net. For 15 bucks, it's a great net, but the netting is a hook magnet once the rubber coating starts to wear. Get an extra deep ghost rubber bag to replace it and it'll land anything you'll catch. I tuck it into my wading belt and it doesn't hamper my bushwacking.
A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. ~Author Unknown
Modern Translation, with respect for the Notorious B.I.G. : "Fuck Money, Get Fishes"
FloorCheese  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, August 29, 2018 6:44:57 PM(UTC)
FloorCheese

Man
United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Just follow my tracks if you need a net. Somehow it always finds a way to fall off. Although it's good excuse to get me back the next day to look for it... bummer.RollEyes
rschmidt  
#5 Posted : Thursday, August 30, 2018 2:44:37 AM(UTC)
rschmidt

Was thanked: 30 time(s) in 26 post(s)
I like the next bigger Frabile 17x22. And as Shebs mentioned get a ghost net replacement bag immediatley. The Frabil netting is a hook magnet.

http://www.frabill.com/n...ies/trout-nets/3673.html

Also I use a normal auto bungee to attach it to my vest. It ain't getting lost. I do not care for the magnetic hooks or the the thin bungees-they wear out.

R

Edited by user Thursday, August 30, 2018 2:46:02 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

OTC_MN  
#6 Posted : Thursday, August 30, 2018 3:10:30 PM(UTC)
OTC_MN

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 15 post(s)
I got a Fishpond net for my birthday and love it. I got a slightly longer-handled one (Nomad Emerger maybe - I forget) because with the Euro Nymphing I do a long handle makes it easier to net a fish without having to fold a 10'6" rod in half above my head. I use a magnetic cord clipped to the back of my pack. The magnet on the net side is actually on the hoop, so the handle kind of sticks out behind my left elbow pointed downward. Makes it really easy to grab. Takes a little practice getting to know where you have to reach to reattach it, but now I can just reach back there and stick it back on.
"Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish."
- Roderick Haig-Brown
snbrd4evr  
#7 Posted : Thursday, August 30, 2018 6:12:37 PM(UTC)
snbrd4evr

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Sierra trading post has some great deals on nets as well. Sometimes you'll find the ones with the small net holes for a very low price.

Long handle: https://www.sierratradingpost.com/creative-angler-fly-fishing-net-with-rubber-basket-and-wood-handle-medium~p~381cw/?filterString=fishing~d~14%2F

Short handle: https://www.sierratradingpost.co...erString=fishing~d~14%2F

Edited by user Thursday, August 30, 2018 6:13:46 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked snbrd4evr for this useful post.
weiliwen on 8/30/2018(UTC)
stan b  
#8 Posted : Thursday, August 30, 2018 9:08:41 PM(UTC)
stan b

Man

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Fishpond makes a very nice affordable wading net.

https://fishpondusa.com/the-pond#
"So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold
vmthtr in Green Bay  
#9 Posted : Thursday, August 30, 2018 9:35:18 PM(UTC)
vmthtr in Green Bay

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I bought a net from a guy in PA. He did a great job and it has a rubber bag type net. I liked it so much I got my son one for Christmas. Trying to post a picture of it

Edited by user Thursday, August 30, 2018 9:36:14 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

snbrd4evr  
#10 Posted : Friday, August 31, 2018 6:17:27 PM(UTC)
snbrd4evr

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Originally Posted by: stan b Go to Quoted Post
Fishpond makes a very nice affordable wading net.

https://fishpondusa.com/the-pond#

It's such a crazy world that you find a $125 net affordable and I think a $30 net is too much. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, but I just think it's funny LOL

Also, those fishpond nets will undoubtedly last longer than my junky $16 net and I'm sure they're much much much nicer quality.