Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
weiliwen  
#1 Posted : Friday, August 31, 2018 2:42:33 AM(UTC)
weiliwen

Man
United States

Was thanked: 29 time(s) in 24 post(s)
I moved to Madison not long ago; actually I have an apartment here and commute back to Illinois on weekends. Anyway, today I decided to get some trout fishing done after work. I went to a stream south of the city named, well, let's say it has a name that relates to our first President. It's no secret anyway, so what the hell.

I got there around 5PM, and although there were shady spots, the sun was on the water a bit more than I would have preferred. The river looked superb. I wish I'd taken a water temperature, but it's not easy to get down to the water. It took a 200 yard walk through a sea of formerly chest-high, now waste high grass, knocked down a bit by recent floods. You'd think that would make walking easier, but quite the opposite. Every step was like walking upstream.

I finally got to the stream, and boy it looked great. It's pretty consistently deep, so much so that I didn't really see a place to easily cross in my hip waders. I could only fish for an hour and a half, but got thoroughly skunked. I saw one fish move the entire time, and one more take a fly off the water some distance away. I expected to see many more scooting away from me. I am going to call it user error, though, because that stream looked very fishy. I realized the slog back to the car was going to be brutal, so I started back before the sun got too low.

IMG_0213 2.JPG (2,886kb) downloaded 37 time(s).
IMG_0214 2.JPG (3,974kb) downloaded 22 time(s).
IMG_0210 2.JPG (3,815kb) downloaded 21 time(s).
IMG_0211 2.JPG (3,999kb) downloaded 22 time(s).

Edited by user Friday, August 31, 2018 2:43:32 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Bob Williams, "Weiliwen"
Sponsor
William Schlafer  
#2 Posted : Friday, August 31, 2018 1:43:04 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 97 time(s) in 83 post(s)
The Trout streams south and west of Madison are real hit or miss.

One part of a stream can be almost devoid of Trout (like you saw), but another part can be really good. It took me a few years of clunking around that part of the state to figure out the best streams, and when to fish them. A creek in one valley can be real productive, and the valley over, not so much. And, things change from year to year.

Lots of rain in the forecast for the next week. Depending upon how much the area gets, today might be the last decent day of stream conditions for awhile.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
briz  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, September 5, 2018 4:34:13 PM(UTC)
briz

Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
That stream can be like that. Have been told that the trout can smell you coming there.BigGrin
As William says certain stretches can seem devoid of fish and a half mile up or down you are moving/catching fish in every hole. After walking the whole thing over a season I found my sections I like and consistency catch fish. It took a while but I've grown to love that stream. It's also a place where its either chest waders or wet wading because it can be deep and there are sections with a lot of random holes/springs buried in beneath the grass.
weiliwen  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, September 5, 2018 6:48:49 PM(UTC)
weiliwen

Man
United States

Well, it looks like I'll have time to do that exploring, as I've committed to Madison until February 1, 2021 (that's when I retire).
Bob Williams, "Weiliwen"
Buckman  
#5 Posted : Friday, September 7, 2018 11:36:45 AM(UTC)
Buckman

United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Originally Posted by: weiliwen Go to Quoted Post
Well, it looks like I'll have time to do that exploring, as I've committed to Madison until February 1, 2021 (that's when I retire).

If that's the creek I think it is, I got skunked there too a month ago when I was out scouting local waters. Great looking water though, and I attributed it more to the full sun that morning as well as my lack of knowledge of the creek and lack of caution in my stalking that morning. Looking forward to going back and trying get back to batting .500 at that place.
Pete  
#6 Posted : Friday, September 7, 2018 2:47:42 PM(UTC)
Pete

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Fish on that stream have a well-deserved reputation for being educated and hard to catch. They are pursued by some very knowledgeable anglers and have learned to avoid us as best they can. I'll never write off a stream without having fished it under near-perfect conditions: light rain, before sunrise in the late Summer, right after sunset in the Spring, when fish are feeding aggressively on terrestrials, etc. Sounds as if conditions were far from ideal the day you were out there. I think anyone would've struggled. Keep at it; since you're in the area, you'll find it worth the effort to have such a quality fishery close to home.
Gurth  
#7 Posted : Friday, September 7, 2018 3:19:38 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 72 time(s) in 58 post(s)
I hate that place.

Yet... I still try it a few times a season coz... proximity.

I've caught fish, but I've also fell in more bankside potholes than all other places combined. Laugh

I'll figure it out one of these years and have a couple of semi-productive stretches that I hit.

Just haven't caught a notable fish out of there yet, so wonder about it's reputation being so high.

That and I have a bunch of other local to semi-local streams that I prefer.

Hate is a strong word. Haha. Maybe I'm just peeved coz I haven't figured it out yet.

That and it's pressured which even if the fish will still bite I don't like going to the most popular places.

Edited by user Friday, September 7, 2018 3:21:29 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
weiliwen  
#8 Posted : Friday, September 7, 2018 4:50:47 PM(UTC)
weiliwen

Man
United States

Wow, I know what you mean about the potholes, Gurth! I stepped into a couple and fell hard on my ass, but fortunately tossed the rod out of the way as I did so to avoid tears. I had hip waders on, but since I fell, I went over my body for ticks that night, just in case.

I do want to check some other nearby spots out as well...
Bob Williams, "Weiliwen"
Gurth  
#9 Posted : Saturday, September 8, 2018 9:39:35 AM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 72 time(s) in 58 post(s)
Originally Posted by: weiliwen Go to Quoted Post

I do want to check some other nearby spots out as well...

Well don't let that one color your expectations of the local waters.

It's likely the hardest and quirkiest to fish and get results from of the "known" streams in the area, or certainly one of the hardest.

I've had just as many incredible trout days within 30 miles of my house as anywhere else in the state.

There's a lot of great fishing... right here.

And don't believe the hype. The best fishing in this area is on the water that isn't written about in the trout books.

Enjoy the hunt.

It's gotta be pretty incredible to be living in trout country now as opposed to a 2-3 hour drive.

Edited by user Saturday, September 8, 2018 9:50:46 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
weiliwen  
#10 Posted : Saturday, September 8, 2018 2:26:31 PM(UTC)
weiliwen

Man
United States

Thanks, Gurth. I'll start chasing those little blue lines on the maps.
Bob Williams, "Weiliwen"