Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Life of Riley  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, September 5, 2018 3:33:59 AM(UTC)
Life of Riley

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Was fishing with a buddy Monday and he hooked one in the gill on a PM. Nice 20" fish went belly up. I'm just wondering if anyone has tried barbless trebles and what they thought of them, both the good and the bad. Also what size split ring should I use for PM's and a replacement hook. I'm going to try a single siwash hook like the steelhead guys use.
Sponsor
NBrevitz  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, September 5, 2018 3:42:40 AM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 29 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Life of Riley Go to Quoted Post
Was fishing with a buddy Monday and he hooked one in the gill on a PM. Nice 20" fish went belly up. I'm just wondering if anyone has tried barbless trebles and what they thought of them, both the good and the bad. Also what size split ring should I use for PM's and a replacement hook. I'm going to try a single siwash hook like the steelhead guys use.

I’m not a particular fan of either option. Barbless hooks come out quicker, but with the shorter length of trebles, combined with the now debarbed hook, you’re going to lose a bunch of fish that just twist their way off. Brook Trout love to do death rolls and I’ve lost a couple huge fish on debarbed hooks when this happens. Also, a debarbed hook can penetrate through to the brain stem a lot more easily than a barbed hook. I’ve brained a few fish doing that before.

The singles are a necessary evil up on the N Shore, and they hold well once a fish has clamped down, but it seems like they mess with the action.
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
rschmidt  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, September 5, 2018 11:49:40 AM(UTC)
rschmidt

Was thanked: 30 time(s) in 26 post(s)
I would also add that research shows hook mortality is a low threat fish. Yes it happens. A barbless hook is just as sharp and is going to poke gills just the same - very infrequently. Top factor on angler mortality is how long you keep the fish out of water, #2 improper handling- dry hands, rough handling, and #3 is playing a fish to exhaustion. I only use barbless and single hooks as required by law. Thankfully, WI dropped those unfounded regulations years ago. R
Guillermo  
#4 Posted : Thursday, September 6, 2018 3:18:45 AM(UTC)
Guillermo

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 22 post(s)
Barbs make it harder to unhook fish, which in turn tends to keep fish out of the water longer.

Losing a few fish here and there is more than worth it for me because of all the other fish that come unhooked effortlessly with crimped barbs.

I’ve had nothing but trouble whenever and wherever I’ve fished barbed trebles.