Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Life of Riley  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, September 5, 2018 4:25:03 AM(UTC)
Life of Riley

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Just wondering how many on here ever wet wade the driftless? I read the Winona ff article on it which was very informative. I'm looking for recommendations on good quick dry pants, and for that matter any clothing recommendations from shirts to socks, to boots.
Sponsor
billybigbilly  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, September 5, 2018 10:26:15 PM(UTC)
billybigbilly

Man

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I only ever wet wade so I think I have got it down pretty well.
For shirts I usually wear a light athletic quick dry t shirt. You can usually find these at a walmart or any store, just make sure its light and quick drying. Avoid heavy materials that would hold water.
Over that shirt I wear a drab green button up fishing shirt. This is the one I bought while on sale, its light and long sleeved and it keeps the sun and bugs off of me. Overall the style is a good one too look out for.Columbia Fishing Shirt
The pants I wear are a Pursuit Gear Nylon convertible pants. I have nothing but good things to say for them, they dry fast and you can turn them into shorts when you are done so you don't have to keep the muddy pant legs on. They are also pretty well built. I fish mainly central MN streams and most of them are very woody and I find myself climbing over logs and sticks and I'm surprised at how I haven't managed to tear a hole in them yet. So while looking for pants look for nylon ones. Pursuit Gear Pants
For shoes I used to wear these croc sandals until one slipped off so you should consider that, but they were good shoes. Small rocks would get in by your feet but stopping and shaking them in the water was generally enough to dislodge them.
As I said I did lose one but I stood to long in a muddy spot and I wasn't thinking about how I was walking, Other than that I never had any problems with them and I will most likely get another pair.
Croc sandals
For shoes now I use either a pair of water shoes, or an old pair of running shoes with woolen socks.
I hope this helps!
thanks 1 user thanked billybigbilly for this useful post.
Zugbug on 9/6/2018(UTC)
mbchilton  
#3 Posted : Thursday, September 6, 2018 2:45:59 AM(UTC)
mbchilton

Man

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I wet wade from April-September. My favorite quick dry pants are from Patagonia, and I have a pair of shorts that I like from Filson. I used to wear Keen sandals, but I’ve been wearing a pair of Simms shoes for the past two years. They’re ok, but probably won’t make it through another season. After that I’ll likely go to a lightweight wading boot meant for wet wading.
madguy30  
#4 Posted : Thursday, September 6, 2018 3:11:42 PM(UTC)
madguy30

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Originally Posted by: mbchilton Go to Quoted Post
I wet wade from April-September. My favorite quick dry pants are from Patagonia, and I have a pair of shorts that I like from Filson. I used to wear Keen sandals, but I’ve been wearing a pair of Simms shoes for the past two years. They’re ok, but probably won’t make it through another season. After that I’ll likely go to a lightweight wading boot meant for wet wading.

I need to find a good light weight wading boot or shoe. The standard wading boots are too heavy and too heavy duty for creeks. I'm fishing, not going on a safari.

I took an old pair of keens and put sheet metal screws in for traction up north. Work pretty well but the head wears down quickly. Wool socks serve as a good layer.

Other wise quick dry pants and a good polyester long sleeved shirt do the trick.

Broke it down this year at times with just a small fly box, some mono for leaders/tippets, and forceps in a couple of pockets for even lighter wading.
rschmidt  
#5 Posted : Thursday, September 6, 2018 11:38:24 PM(UTC)
rschmidt

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 31 post(s)
I never wet wade. Too much parsnip, buckthorn, nettles, bugs, sharp objects, etc. YMMV.

R
William Schlafer  
#6 Posted : Thursday, September 6, 2018 11:42:50 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 97 time(s) in 83 post(s)
And, with all the recent flooding, there's bound to be a lot more barb wire and other debris hiding in the water. Be careful out there.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
Buckman  
#7 Posted : Friday, September 7, 2018 11:30:06 AM(UTC)
Buckman

United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Originally Posted by: rschmidt Go to Quoted Post
I never wet wade. Too much parsnip, buckthorn, nettles, bugs, sharp objects, etc. YMMV.

R

That's pretty much me for the past 25 years, just too many tangles with various things in my younger years when I could crash through all that stuff easier. Hell, nowadays I usually go with long sleeve shirt and have been known to bring a buff for the lower face if I have to. Sidenote: They make a buff in both brown trout and rainbow trout designs. Made for a good birthday gift for my son!
OTC_MN  
#8 Posted : Saturday, September 8, 2018 4:56:44 PM(UTC)
OTC_MN

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 17 post(s)
I wet wade with my regular wading boots (Simms) and a pair of Simms neoprene wading socks. Have used water shoes, sandals, etc., in the past, but I hate, hate, HATE getting sand/pebbles in my shoes. Just makes me want to claw my face off. So the wading socks and regular boots help that not happen.

For pants, I just have light, quick-drying pants with zip-off lower legs I got at Costco. They're super cheap and comfortable, and I wear them under waders, fishing in the boat, etc. Think I have about 6 pairs of them :) Shirt is whatever's on top when I open the drawer.
"Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish."
- Roderick Haig-Brown
EddieRivard  
#9 Posted : Sunday, September 9, 2018 1:04:38 AM(UTC)
EddieRivard

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 13 post(s)
I agree with OTC_MN on the wading boots with the Simms wading socks. As much as I see dudes galanting around streams wearing tennis shoes and sandals I just don't want to take the risk of getting a sprained ankle when it could have been easily prevented. A lot of my wet wading these days involves a lot of jumping in and out of my canoe on small to medium sized rivers and wrestling with Muskies. A good boot is paramount. Here are a few of my Muskies from this summer.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

thanks 1 user thanked EddieRivard for this useful post.
William Schlafer on 9/9/2018(UTC)
William Schlafer  
#10 Posted : Sunday, September 9, 2018 1:24:57 AM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 97 time(s) in 83 post(s)
Nice Eddie!

All those with a fly rod, yes?

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos