Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

5 Pages«<345
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
William Schlafer  
#41 Posted : Saturday, January 19, 2019 6:24:55 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 114 time(s) in 96 post(s)
Took me awhile to find this picture...

UserPostedImage

A buddy and I were fishing the Big Green about eight years ago. It was mid-week and we had the stream to ourselves. Just as we came up to this bridge, a parade of cars pulls up and parks along the road.

Holy crap - a Illinois invasion!

But no. It turns out is was a group of TU guys who were setting up to conduct a stream survey along with the WDNR. They were going downstream and we were fishing up, so no problem at all. Good guys. They even shared a couple beers with us.

Later on the way out, they showed us all the photos of the big Trout they netted that we missed just a few hours earlier. Pretty humbling to learn just how many fish we had walked right by.

-Bill

Edited by user Saturday, January 19, 2019 6:28:39 PM(UTC)  | Reason: added text

“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
NBrevitz  
#42 Posted : Sunday, January 20, 2019 2:43:30 AM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 44 time(s) in 36 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Guillermo Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: s.t.fanatic Go to Quoted Post
Where are you guys fishing that you are running into all these prick landowners? Maybe its because I drive a old, beat up, American made gas guzzler but I have only been told I couldn't fish one time in the past 25+ years of trout fishing S.E. Minnesota.

Mostly carefully targeted private clubs with a history of fisherman harassment and possible tax fraud resulting in the local citizens taxes going up.

I wonder if they’d be mad if I brought a lawn chair and sat at the end of the hole below one of their illegal dams...

How many of these clubs are there?!?!
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
Guillermo  
#43 Posted : Sunday, January 20, 2019 7:22:29 AM(UTC)
Guillermo

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 23 post(s)
Originally Posted by: NBrevitz Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Guillermo Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: s.t.fanatic Go to Quoted Post
Where are you guys fishing that you are running into all these prick landowners? Maybe its because I drive a old, beat up, American made gas guzzler but I have only been told I couldn't fish one time in the past 25+ years of trout fishing S.E. Minnesota.

Mostly carefully targeted private clubs with a history of fisherman harassment and possible tax fraud resulting in the local citizens taxes going up.

I wonder if they’d be mad if I brought a lawn chair and sat at the end of the hole below one of their illegal dams...

How many of these clubs are there?!?!

More than you’d think.

I’m not inherently opposed to all of them, nor am I some anti-private property zealot. I respect private property and would never trespass. However, when groups like this make it a point to discourage and harass those enjoying public water, I’ll go out of my way to fish their creek today, tomorrow, the next day and so on until they get worn out and get the idea that I’m not backing down.

I carry every piece of paperwork I could find explaining all the access laws and a copy of the Public Trust Doctrine from our state constitution in my wallet.

On a side note...anyone know if it’s legal to camp on an island in the middle of a river surrounded by private property? Asking for a friend. I would never engage in such a rebellious stunt in a thousand lifetimes.🤠