Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

5 Pages«<2345>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
s.t.fanatic  
#31 Posted : Friday, January 18, 2019 2:44:17 PM(UTC)
s.t.fanatic

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 16 post(s)
Where are you guys fishing that you are running into all these prick landowners? Maybe its because I drive a old, beat up, American made gas guzzler but I have only been told I couldn't fish one time in the past 25+ years of trout fishing S.E. Minnesota.
Gurth  
#32 Posted : Friday, January 18, 2019 3:37:04 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 167 time(s) in 130 post(s)
Originally Posted by: s.t.fanatic Go to Quoted Post
Where are you guys fishing that you are running into all these prick landowners? Maybe its because I drive a old, beat up, American made gas guzzler but I have only been told I couldn't fish one time in the past 25+ years of trout fishing S.E. Minnesota.

I've never been told no either and I drive a Prius with a Bernie sticker and usually wear a Obama "Hope" shirt.

“Harvest eaters... release trophies.” -Gurth
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
rschmidt  
#33 Posted : Friday, January 18, 2019 4:32:40 PM(UTC)
rschmidt

Was thanked: 62 time(s) in 51 post(s)
It seems none of you have met these lunatic Minnesotans trespassing in WI trout wonderland! Hahaha. Ron
thanks 1 user thanked rschmidt for this useful post.
NBrevitz on 1/18/2019(UTC)
WI-fly  
#34 Posted : Friday, January 18, 2019 4:41:19 PM(UTC)
WI-fly

Man

Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 23 post(s)
I haven't had any major conflicts with landowners, but the handful of times I have interacted with them, the first question always seems to be, "Where are you from?" That's a tricky question. My ZIP code is La Crosse, but I don't live in the city. If I get a sense that the owner frowns upon those of us from the "big city" of La Crosse, then I say, "Just 10 minutes up the road off County YY."

I have no political stickers on my car (a left wing Subaru Outback), just fishing stuff and a Lionel Ritchie "Hello" sticker. Lionel makes everyone feel better.
=============
Curt Rees
Coulee Region Trout Unlimited
Catch fish, have a good time, protect the resource.
CRTU Facebook
CRTU Instagram
thanks 1 user thanked WI-fly for this useful post.
NBrevitz on 1/18/2019(UTC)
NBrevitz  
#35 Posted : Friday, January 18, 2019 5:30:35 PM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 69 time(s) in 56 post(s)

I drive a beat up Ford Explorer, dents on the right side, 223,000 miles on it. I’m far from a pretty boy.

Also, you live in Altura dude... The local farmers are gonna be more receptive to you than they will be to someone from the cities, or god forbid Sconnies or especially fibs. As soon as I cross at Hudson, my chances for access go down. If I want to fish sidewalk sized Brookie creeks that most don’t know exist, odds are I will get bitched at. If I get into something with very big fish, the odds of bitching go up. Something unique? They go way up.
And I’m someone who can talk shop on a lot of their stuff. I’m friends with quite a few farmers, I’ve done a bit of farm labor, I used to place pretty well in FFA competitions. I always go out of my way to be nice, so this isn’t on me.
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
Gurth  
#36 Posted : Friday, January 18, 2019 5:43:04 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 167 time(s) in 130 post(s)
Originally Posted by: WI-fly Go to Quoted Post
I haven't had any major conflicts with landowners, but the handful of times I have interacted with them, the first question always seems to be, "Where are you from?" That's a tricky question. My ZIP code is La Crosse, but I don't live in the city. If I get a sense that the owner frowns upon those of us from the "big city" of La Crosse, then I say, "Just 10 minutes up the road off County YY."

I have no political stickers on my car (a left wing Subaru Outback), just fishing stuff and a Lionel Ritchie "Hello" sticker. Lionel makes everyone feel better.

Yeah… I usually say Verona when asked where I'm from by a landowner.

It's 2 blocks from being true and my son went to high school there and represented the school/town in hockey and lacrosse, if not academically. Laugh

I've even worn a Verona hockey shirt when asking permission within that school district.

And there are no political stickers on my van (no Prius) – just trout stickers.
“Harvest eaters... release trophies.” -Gurth
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
Pete  
#37 Posted : Friday, January 18, 2019 6:02:35 PM(UTC)
Pete

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 18 post(s)
Whenever I'm asked where I'm from, no one has gotten less friendly when they find out I'm an FIB. Mostly they seem surprised that someone would travel all that way to fish for tiny brookies, several of which could fit in my hand. Maybe they're glad that I'm not catching all the walleyes, muskies and smallmouths on their local lakes. I guess they figure that if a guy came so far to fish for browns and brook trout, let him; he's not hurting anything. For that matter, most are pretty receptive about letting strangers hunt turkeys too. But don't even think about asking to hunt deer.

It probably helps that I'm not an NFL fan and don't go parading around in Bears' clothing.
Guillermo  
#38 Posted : Friday, January 18, 2019 11:04:01 PM(UTC)
Guillermo

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 24 post(s)

Mostly carefully targeted private clubs with a history of fisherman harassment and possible tax fraud resulting in the local citizens taxes going up.

I wonder if they’d be mad if I brought a lawn chair and sat at the end of the hole below one of their illegal dams...
rschmidt  
#39 Posted : Saturday, January 19, 2019 12:08:15 AM(UTC)
rschmidt

Was thanked: 62 time(s) in 51 post(s)
I have had only two negative run-ins with landowners in six years, both in Minnesota and with Shebs. I think they must have disliked him more than me! Hahaha Really though in the WI driftless, trout fishing and trout fisherman are common occurrences. I've come upon a range of friendly responses in WI from "Knock yourself out.", "Are you really gonna walk all the way?", to bathing bikini beauties sunning in the stream asking - "You wanna have a beer?", or was it "What ya got in those waders!!" Ahhh, can't remember for sure. Common sense dictates that you converse with someone you see as a basic social convention. At some places Shebs and I have tromped, we clearly benefited from the better access the private land holds. I have been told nicely "no I don't let people on my land" as well. If you don't ask you won't know. I can also attest to friendly Wisconsinites by the numerous hitchhikes I have received back to my car. Even holstering a 20" machete won't deter their welcoming spirit. Then again, maybe I'm so old they think I need medical help! These rides range from educational to weird to espionage on my secret spots, but always fun. It would seem drunk drivers think it's a good idea to pick up a trout fisherman walking!! Happy Fishing and screw the polar vortex. Ron
shebs  
#40 Posted : Saturday, January 19, 2019 12:57:29 AM(UTC)
shebs

Was thanked: 59 time(s) in 48 post(s)
Haha that reminds me of the time I got a hitchhike from a pierce county search and rescue vehicle. Thought for sure I was about to get chewed out (hitchhiking is illegal in many places and I am not nearly as well versed on that law as stream access law), but he was happy to chat fishing for the 5 minute drive.
A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. ~Author Unknown
Modern Translation, with respect for the Notorious B.I.G. : "Fuck Money, Get Fishes"