Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
William Schlafer  
#1 Posted : Monday, October 1, 2018 10:29:48 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 95 time(s) in 81 post(s)
Apparently the folks in the Carolina's haven't been punished enough with hurricane Florence. Now, they're dealing with mosquitoes the size of wasps.

Thank goodness we live in this sub-arctic climate that puts our little blood suckers to sleep for 8 months out of the year.

-Bill

“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
Sponsor
Buckman  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, October 2, 2018 2:27:59 AM(UTC)
Buckman

United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Central Michigan had a hatching of these back in 2011, pretty well documented. Nasty buggers, the size of small wasps. I was golfing with my wife one evening when I saw my very first one. It landed on her back and I was so shocked I raised my golf club to hit it off her before I even thought about what I was doing, she looked at me like I was crazy until she saw how big it was when it landed on the cart.
I feel for any area that suffers through a hatching of these. Normal skeets are bad enough.
Twill89  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, October 2, 2018 4:52:32 PM(UTC)
Twill89

I saw one of these in western Iowa County after the heavy rainfalls this September. It freaked me out!
Phrenia  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, October 17, 2018 4:23:04 PM(UTC)
Phrenia

These mosquitoes, called Gallinipper Mosquitos were first encountered by me in the lower driftless 3 years ago. I was told by an entomologist that they can't live in WI because of our cold climate and were most likely blown up here from a hurricane. I accepted that until I found them on the same stream the very next year. I talked to a friend at the DNR and his crew ran into a bunch of them on the valley over. Since then I have found Gallinippers on several streams in the lower driftless. Hurray for global warming!