Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
FisherMan  
#1 Posted : Sunday, October 21, 2018 2:56:08 AM(UTC)
FisherMan

I’m new to trout fishing and currently own a fishpond sling pack. I really like it, as it holds everything That I need for fishing for gills and bass. I’ve been thinking about getting a vest, but not sure that I would like it as much as the sling pack. I’ve only fished for trout once, but I’m hooked.... I will be making a lot of trips to Iowa and Wisconsin next summer. Any help would be greatly appreciated.....
Sponsor
weiliwen  
#2 Posted : Sunday, October 21, 2018 2:24:36 PM(UTC)
weiliwen

Man
United States

Was thanked: 29 time(s) in 24 post(s)
Hi FisherMan,

First, thanks for posting on the New Member Introduction - that's the way to do it! Lots of Illini on these pages, even those most are lurkers. I live in a northern Chicago suburb myself, but spend weekdays up in Madison, where I work.

Now, to your question. I'd say opinion will be split; but I personally like vests. Maybe just because I'm getting older and not in great shape, so I rarely am away from my car more than 4 hours and don't need large capacity. I use a vest because I'm also left-handed, and I haven't yet found a LH sling; although some profess to be unidirectional, they seem to me to really fit neither side well. I can pop a bottle of water and a snack in the back of my vest without a problem.

That said, my vest is about at the end of its lifespan, and I may re-consider.
Bob Williams, "Weiliwen"
NBrevitz  
#3 Posted : Sunday, October 21, 2018 7:49:33 PM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 30 post(s)
I prefer vests just for ease of access and great capacity. Everything I might need is on my chest. I’ve had the same LL Bean vest for 7 years and it has held up great given the 400+ outing wear. I can hold 8 boxes, hemostat, nippers, tippet, a flask, a hydration bladder, AND a wading jacket without a problem. The newer version is even nicer from what I’ve seen! $140 but they last forever and don’t add too much heat in the summer. They also have a waist buckle to help evenly distribute the weight.
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
FisherMan  
#4 Posted : Sunday, October 21, 2018 10:17:47 PM(UTC)
FisherMan

That’s a nice looking vest, but I’m not sure I would like the big pockets on the front. Do the ever get in your way? Fishpond makes a nice looking one also, but it cost a lot and has the big pockets also. The sling pack carries a lot and the only thing in front is the strap were I carry my nippers and hemostat. I can slide the pack to the front whenever I need anything. I like the idea of a vest though....

Edited by user Sunday, October 21, 2018 10:18:46 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

rschmidt  
#5 Posted : Monday, October 22, 2018 2:01:35 AM(UTC)
rschmidt

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 31 post(s)
Vest all the way. Keep in mind with a sling or backpack you have to take it off a lot. Shebs uses a pack and he has all things needed and more, but if he has to get something on the bottom, it's damn near an hour disrobing! hahaha. I live the Simms headwaters vest I have. I bought on sale 3 years ago. It has held up well. It's pretty lightweight and compfy.

Ron
madguy30  
#6 Posted : Monday, October 22, 2018 2:39:26 AM(UTC)
madguy30

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 11 post(s)
I tried vests and for me it was too many places to put too many things. Same with big shoulder bags.

Years ago I found small-medium sized Case Logic camera bags from Target to work great--only like $20.

Zippered pockets on each side for car keys, emergency whistle, and inside pocket I can store license and ICE card.

Enough room and squared fit inside for a fly box or two, mono for leaders/tippet, and waterproof camera. All easy to reach/pick out of.

I've had a small and mid-sized one for maybe 5 years and both have held up great.

Last time in the D.A. I just had the fly box, license, forceps and string in two shirt pockets. Even better, haha.
NBrevitz  
#7 Posted : Monday, October 22, 2018 2:49:44 AM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Originally Posted by: FisherMan Go to Quoted Post
That’s a nice looking vest, but I’m not sure I would like the big pockets on the front. Do the ever get in your way? Fishpond makes a nice looking one also, but it cost a lot and has the big pockets also. The sling pack carries a lot and the only thing in front is the strap were I carry my nippers and hemostat. I can slide the pack to the front whenever I need anything. I like the idea of a vest though....

I carry a fair amount of stuff. The issue with a sling or backpack, as Ron said earlier, is that you need to take it off a lot if you’re changing things up, want a drink of water, take a picture, etc. The pockets really don’t get in my way. With the vest, if you have it semi-tight around your chest, it fits comfortably and doesn’t hang at all. I have no problem using spin or fly gear with the vest. There are two fly pockets up front that flip open at a 90 degree angle, with your flies just below you. It’s a lot easier than digging the fly box in and out of your sling. This is especially true when you’re fishing private stretches and can’t leave the water.
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
FisherMan  
#8 Posted : Monday, October 22, 2018 3:05:57 AM(UTC)
FisherMan

I don’t really have to take my sling pack off to get things out of it, I just grab the bottom of the strap and pull the pack around to the front and everything is right in front of me. All the zippers are on top of the pack when it’s in front of me. I guess I’m trying to talk myself out of buying a vest. I really like the fishpond vest or the one mentioned above (LL Bean)
NBrevitz  
#9 Posted : Monday, October 22, 2018 3:14:19 AM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Originally Posted by: FisherMan Go to Quoted Post
I don’t really have to take my sling pack off to get things out of it, I just grab the bottom of the strap and pull the pack around to the front and everything is right in front of me. All the zippers are on top of the pack when it’s in front of me. I guess I’m trying to talk myself out of buying a vest. I really like the fishpond vest or the one mentioned above (LL Bean)

I love my vest, it’s comfortable and everything is always there. If you like your sling and fish well with it, then no need for a vest. The vest is nice for incredible ease of access, but if you want everything behind you and completely out of the way, go with the sling.
William Schlafer  
#10 Posted : Monday, October 22, 2018 2:07:37 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 97 time(s) in 83 post(s)
Vest.

I have a waist pack, but I find that it doesn't work out if you have to wade though tall grass that either catches on it, or is wet. My vest keeps most stuff up high enough where this isn't as much of a problem. Plus the vest gives me a place to carry my net on the back ring with a net release. I've also grown accustom to where I have things stored in the vest that I don't have to think about where they are. With the pack I tend to fumble around and spill things out of it.

I would love to get to that place where I don't need a vest and go extreme minimalist, with just a fly box and a couple accessories (nippers, hemostat). But I always default to Boy Scout mode and want to carry every conceivable thing I might need when out on a stream.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos