Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
FisherMan  
#1 Posted : Monday, October 22, 2018 3:48:01 PM(UTC)
FisherMan

Excuse all the newbie questions, but inquiring minds want to know. How many of you use a wading staff? I’m 66 years old and get around well, but I thought it might have been handy to have a wading staff when wading unknown waters. Any ideas from you seasoned anglers will be appreciated.......
Thanks.......
P.S.
Sorry for so many questions....,
Sponsor
William Schlafer  
#2 Posted : Monday, October 22, 2018 4:43:04 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 97 time(s) in 83 post(s)
Most of the streams in the Driftless Area as small enough that a wading staff just isn't needed. Many have silty sandy bottoms which can make wading difficult and dangerous in places. From a practical standpoint, you're better off staying out of the water as you're more likely to spook more fish while in the water as you are fishing from the bank. Mostly your waders will be used for crossing streams, or short jaunts in the water to get into a better casting position, or retrieving flies caught in snags. The exception of course is if you are fishing a creek without a stream bank easement, where you will need to stay feet wet to be legal.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
weiliwen  
#3 Posted : Monday, October 22, 2018 5:59:41 PM(UTC)
weiliwen

Man
United States

Was thanked: 29 time(s) in 24 post(s)
+1 on Bill's advice. Except for crossing streams, I rarely get into the water unless required to by the landowner's desire. I see videos of folks sloshing up streams and catching lots of trout, but that's not me!
Bob Williams, "Weiliwen"
Gurth  
#4 Posted : Monday, October 22, 2018 7:58:28 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 72 time(s) in 58 post(s)
Lol.

Yeah... I was crossing a stream when I sunk my waders a couple months back. Most of this particular stream is about 4 feet wide but is surprisingly deep in some of the corners.

I was in a corner I hadn't walked through before and thought... "How deep could it be?"

It "could be" 5'6" deep apparently. Laugh

Normally I check with my rod tip, but had been lulled by my "experience" on this stream.

Cost me my iPhone SE and the day's catch photos - and I caught some dandies that day.

Actually still a bit bummed about the lost photos. Really happy with my new iPhone 7 though.

About a month later, was looking to cross that same stream about 3 miles up closer to its headwaters in a spot that was about two feet across and was smart enough to stick my rod down and it went to the reel without finding bottom. OhMyGod

Didn't cross there. Wink

Don't know if you need a staff, but never hurts to check the depth in other ways.
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
Noctilio  
#5 Posted : Monday, October 29, 2018 12:23:05 AM(UTC)
Noctilio

If you have good balance and or are ok with possibly falling then you could probably pass on the staff. When fishing in the driftless, I don’t bring mine but on some other rivers I always have it
madguy30  
#6 Posted : Monday, October 29, 2018 1:33:30 AM(UTC)
madguy30

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 11 post(s)
I've thought about bringing one on the bigger warmwater tannin colored streams up north but most driftless streams are easy enough to see...although late in the day even polarized glasses don't help seeing what's in front.
NBrevitz  
#7 Posted : Monday, October 29, 2018 5:18:50 AM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 30 post(s)
To each their own I guess. I love walking up the creek, and eased sections just see too much pressure for what I like to do. I guess with spinning gear it’s a lot easier to rocket out a 90 foot cast long before the fish really know of my presence. I also prefer to not sweat buckets on hot days.

I had to half net, half tackle a Chinook the other day, in 3 feet of water. The fish was still green. Had I hooked him on shore I would’ve been toast with all the snags around. Still got damn lucky.

A wading staff is nice for rocky streams up north, but in the Driftless it’s pretty unnecessary IMO.
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
Guillermo  
#8 Posted : Monday, October 29, 2018 6:40:01 AM(UTC)
Guillermo

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 23 post(s)
I don't use a staff, but I can see how it'd be beneficial for the waters I fish. My mantra has always been, if you're not occasionally in danger of drowning, you're probably selling yourself short in terms of the quality of your fishing. But then again I'm not the most stable fisherman out there.

You haven't lived until you've went waist deep in muck 5 miles from civilization with no recourse other than your own determination to make it home. That'll test your mettle big time.

Edited by user Monday, October 29, 2018 6:44:08 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Guillermo for this useful post.
Jumpsuit on 10/29/2018(UTC)
stan b  
#9 Posted : Monday, October 29, 2018 1:35:22 PM(UTC)
stan b

Man

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 13 post(s)
I fish the tributaries a lot.
I bought the Simms collapsible staff.
Fits in a holster when not using.
Has a really nice tether for when you are casting.

At my age I need it to walk the parking lot!!

Stan b
"So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold
NBrevitz  
#10 Posted : Monday, October 29, 2018 5:08:31 PM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 30 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Guillermo Go to Quoted Post
I don't use a staff, but I can see how it'd be beneficial for the waters I fish. My mantra has always been, if you're not occasionally in danger of drowning, you're probably selling yourself short in terms of the quality of your fishing. But then again I'm not the most stable fisherman out there.

You haven't lived until you've went waist deep in muck 5 miles from civilization with no recourse other than your own determination to make it home. That'll test your mettle big time.

Same...🤣 We gotta meet up at some point.
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."