Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
weiliwen  
#1 Posted : Thursday, November 1, 2018 3:03:39 PM(UTC)
weiliwen

Man
United States

Was thanked: 29 time(s) in 24 post(s)
My favorite time fishing the DA is winter and early spring; I'm counting the days to the beginning of the season, and hope it won't be a situation where the rivers are frozen over.

This fall, I've been reading a lot about classic wet flies, and plan to use them more this early season, probably with a small nymph or midge off the end, and fish 'em low and slow. That doesn't mean I won't be using the DA standards like the pink squirrel. I've heard about guys catching fish with

As usual, one of my big plans is to fish new rivers. It paid off this season, but I need to get further away from Viroqua, not because there aren't plenty of streams there, but just to force myself to expand my horizons.

I will also hit some of the areas in what I consider the "southern tier" of the DA - I'll call it the Hwy 18 corridor, between Madison and Fennimore, and several miles on either side. I am bound and determined to catch a fish out of Mt. Vernon Creek!

And, it's entirely possible that I'll try my hand at spinner fishing, because the videos I see on the "Wisconsin Trout Fishing" channel on YouTube look pretty fun.

I'd love to hear what your plans are...
Bob Williams, "Weiliwen"
Sponsor
Gurth  
#2 Posted : Thursday, November 1, 2018 5:08:57 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 72 time(s) in 58 post(s)
The plus of doing the final week ('16) or weekend ('17 & '18) like I have the past 3 years is that I'm burned out afterwards.

Haven't had the urge to go out at all since the close.

Haven't touched my equipment since I got home on the 15th and it's still laying haphazardly in the basement. Need to get it cleaned up… a couple reels need new line… lures need to be reorganized...

That said, I took next Friday off and plan on a two-dayer in either Iowa or the extended C&R.

Will probably go somewhere in December too so that I can get a trout in each month of the year. Did that in 2016 but somehow missed November last year.

Will definitely go out opening weekend too and then it all begins again!

Round goes the wheel.
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
William Schlafer  
#3 Posted : Thursday, November 1, 2018 7:52:13 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 97 time(s) in 83 post(s)
I was just about to ask if anyone has fished Iowa since the close of inland season in Wisconsin. Curious to hear what condition those streams are in after all the flooding rain the area got earlier this year. I know the SE corner of Minnesota also was hit as hard as Vernon county.

Looking forward too for the opener in January, but Bill's Rules apply: must be at least 40 degrees with minimal wind, and snow depth must be under 10 inches. Frozen extremities and thrashing around through knee deep snow just takes all the fun out of it for me.

The fly tying bench beacons me, but I'm still getting caught up on winter prep chores.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
Gurth  
#4 Posted : Thursday, November 1, 2018 7:58:01 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

My buddy is fishing Iowa as I type.

I’ll update when I hear.
OTC_MN  
#5 Posted : Thursday, November 1, 2018 9:36:12 PM(UTC)
OTC_MN

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 17 post(s)
I still plan on fishing yet this fall on some of the MN streams that are now open year round. I say 'plan' because with my kid's hockey season and deer hunting it's going to be a challenge. I'd love to get down to Iowa, but...yeah. I can barely find time to get to the grocery store.

Soft hackles are so, so underused. I use them quite a bit and probably still don't use them enough. I tie a simple soft hackle emerger (black biot body, tiny dot of dubbing for an abdomen and a starling hackle) that I think is a Charlie Craven pattern. Tie it down to size 22, and it was awesome last winter when the midges were hatching. Plus I love tying them besides.

I'm starting to crank up the tying bench a little already. I tie pretty much year round, but for some reason, winter days are just made for sitting at the bench.

If only I could make my wife understand that...Blink
"Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish."
- Roderick Haig-Brown
thanks 1 user thanked OTC_MN for this useful post.
tenkara_guy on 11/2/2018(UTC)
madguy30  
#6 Posted : Thursday, November 1, 2018 10:13:49 PM(UTC)
madguy30

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 11 post(s)
I too enjoy the winter/spring season more and really haven't done much summer or fall fishing the last several years.

I used to think going out after the season opened in March was crazy because it was 'cold'. Not any more, haha.

Looking forward to tying some flies over the next few weeks and then get out with the tenkara when it opens up again.

Hopefully I can do more camping this spring too.

snbrd4evr  
#7 Posted : Thursday, November 1, 2018 10:41:34 PM(UTC)
snbrd4evr

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Mush and I are heading down to Whitewater on Sunday. It's supposed to rain and rain and rain and rain until Sunday afternoon. So we'll see what happens. We can always hit some of the smaller creeks that run into the Whitewater as long as we stay in the park (I think). Otherwise, there might be a nice stain and we can find some biggin's ThumpUp
shebs  
#8 Posted : Thursday, November 1, 2018 11:39:05 PM(UTC)
shebs

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 22 post(s)
Well if you're jonesing that bad the salmon run is behind schedule and I hear there are still fresh cohos being caught up in sasquatchistan...
A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. ~Author Unknown
Modern Translation, with respect for the Notorious B.I.G. : "Fuck Money, Get Fishes"
Gurth  
#9 Posted : Friday, November 2, 2018 3:18:20 AM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

NE iowa streams were in good shape today

Trout were caught.
NBrevitz  
#10 Posted : Friday, November 2, 2018 6:55:20 PM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 30 post(s)
We’re blessed to live in an area of the country with year round opportunities for excellent fishing. A 10 week closureMy September-December runs like this.
Mid September- Kings and Coasters
Early October- Kings, Driftless Trout, Walleye
Late October- All Salmon, Steelhead, Walleye, Musky
November- Coho, Browns, Musky
December- Late Coho, Browns, Ice

There’s never a break, there’s always something to fish for.
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."