Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
draik11  
#1 Posted : Monday, November 19, 2018 8:47:06 PM(UTC)
draik11

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 9 post(s)
Anyone use the magnetic clip for attaching your net to your pack/vest? I've been considering getting one for next season.
Sponsor
OTC_MN  
#2 Posted : Monday, November 19, 2018 10:24:05 PM(UTC)
OTC_MN

Was thanked: 30 time(s) in 22 post(s)
Yup. I have one from Fishpond. Love the thing. I have it hanging down the middle of my back, with the net side attachment on kind of the corner of the hoop so the handle sticks out behind my left hip. Can pull it out and put it back one-handed. My net has kind of a long handle (Fishpond Nomad) so having it behind my back works for me, but my son has a shorter handled net and he just has his on his left hip clipped to his wading belt. In the past I'd tried lanyards, holsters and other stuff. Usually ended up with my almost strangling myself at some point. The magnet and coiled lanyard works great though.
"Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish."
- Roderick Haig-Brown
rschmidt  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, November 20, 2018 1:07:18 PM(UTC)
rschmidt

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 31 post(s)
Not a fan, they do not stay on when bushwhacking in or out of the stream. I use an car bungee. It doesn't wear out like the thin lanyards. Downside there is only I can operate the net as it is attached to my net clip on the vest. To each their own. Happy Fishing!
Trouts  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, November 20, 2018 3:48:45 PM(UTC)
Trouts

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
The cheap ones are worthless unless you fish pasture sections. I have one a wood working friend made with rare earth magnets. It holds better than any net release I have used.

I have also used the rose creek net release and was happy with it. http://www.rose-creek.com/products/net-release
“If the trout are lost, smash the state. More than any other fish, trout are dependent upon the ambience in which they are caught… At the first signs of deterioration, this otherwise vigorous fish just politely quits, as if to say, ‘If that’s how you want it…’”
Hoggies  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, November 20, 2018 3:53:28 PM(UTC)
Hoggies

Man
United States

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
I have a cheap one from Amazon. $5.something because the red one was $2 off for some reason. Came packed in a box with a picture of pliers on it. Works pretty well on the center of the top of my net hoop. The carabiner and lanyard that came with it were trash, but my net has a lanyard built in and I have a bunch of those niteize s-biners, so I swapped for one of those.
William Schlafer  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, November 20, 2018 4:28:25 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 101 time(s) in 87 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Trouts Go to Quoted Post

I have also used the rose creek net release and was happy with it. http://www.rose-creek.com/products/net-release

I'll second that. Excellent product.

-Bill

“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
draik11  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, November 21, 2018 3:19:54 PM(UTC)
draik11

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 9 post(s)
Thanks for all of the insight guys. One more question, I know Ron says he has trouble with them when bushwacking. Anyone else run into the problem of losing your net while walking through the brush?

I'll look into the rose creek net release. Seems like that could be the way to go.
Hoggies  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, November 21, 2018 4:40:53 PM(UTC)
Hoggies

Man
United States

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
On the hip, yes (there's a lanyard on mine as well, so it was more of a trip hazard issue than a losing the net issue). On my back (chest pack straps or backpack), I haven't had any problems.
William Schlafer  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, November 21, 2018 8:22:26 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 101 time(s) in 87 post(s)
The Rose Creek Net Release can be hard to find. Cabelas used to carry them, but I'm not sure if they do anymore or not.

You can buy them directly from Rose Creek Anglers via their website. Good small company, excellent service.

I've bought several of these over the years and none of them have failed or worn out. The only time my net became disconnected when I didn't want it too is a time or two I've fallen or slid down a bank on my back. The plastic clips are very rugged and hold up well over time.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
Buckman  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, November 21, 2018 8:54:47 PM(UTC)
Buckman

United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Originally Posted by: William Schlafer Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Trouts Go to Quoted Post

I'll second that. Excellent product.

-Bill

I'll third that!