Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
William Schlafer  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, December 5, 2018 7:52:50 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 101 time(s) in 87 post(s)
Just a little over four weeks until the inland Trout season opens in Wisconsin. Freezing temps, slippery banks, numb fingers... can't wait!

Here's a fine little video DTA member Dan Braun put together a few years back to help get you in the mood. No BS commentary, weird background music, or entomology lessons. Just beautiful soft casts producing one Trout after another on a gorgeous winter day in the Driftless.

I love how he managed to get that fine Brookie at the end of the video to pose for him after the release.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
Sponsor
weiliwen  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, December 5, 2018 9:50:22 PM(UTC)
weiliwen

Man
United States

Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 26 post(s)
I'm also looking forward to the start of the season in the worst way. I do much better in winter and early spring than the rest of the year; that's mainly because I never seem to be able to spend as much time fishing in late spring and summer as I do earlier. I had my best day, and my biggest Driftless fish on a weekend in mid-February this year. I'm looking forward to a repeat.
Bob Williams, "Weiliwen"
madguy30  
#3 Posted : Thursday, December 6, 2018 3:37:33 AM(UTC)
madguy30

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 11 post(s)
What's the official start day? January 5?

That'll be nice. I like the earlier start to the trout season. I basically fish for 4 months and burn myself out on trout, and then move right into warm/big water starting in May.

It used to seem like forever for that opening weekend in March to come around so this is just nice to have as an avenue to get out and hike around if nothing else.
rschmidt  
#4 Posted : Thursday, December 6, 2018 12:29:14 PM(UTC)
rschmidt

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 31 post(s)
Looking forward to the early season. Love seeing the changes and life on the streams. Happy Fishing! Ron
William Schlafer  
#5 Posted : Thursday, December 6, 2018 4:15:54 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Originally Posted by: madguy30 Go to Quoted Post

5:00AM January 5th is the inland Trout early season opener. Artificial lures only, and catch and release.

The WDNR has not updated the dates on the website for the 2019/2020 season yet, but the rest of the info on the link regarding the early season should be accurate.

-Bill

“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
Pete  
#6 Posted : Thursday, December 6, 2018 4:24:02 PM(UTC)
Pete

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Originally Posted by: William Schlafer Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: madguy30 Go to Quoted Post

5:00AM January 5th is the inland Trout early season opener. Artificial lures only, and catch and release.

The WDNR has not updated the dates on the website for the 2019/2020 season yet, but the rest of the info on the link regarding the early season should be accurate.

-Bill

This could make for a very interesting cast-and-blast outing: Fall turkey season has been extended until January 6th, so there is an entire weekend of overlap between the two.
William Schlafer  
#7 Posted : Thursday, December 6, 2018 5:24:16 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

I used to worry about hunting season overlapping the inland Trout season when it was extended into October. But so far, I haven't heard of any problems or territorial issues between hunters and fishermen.

-Bill
Pete  
#8 Posted : Thursday, December 6, 2018 5:43:59 PM(UTC)
Pete

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 10 post(s)
I haven't heard of any conflicts either. I thought the trout season extending into October would've been a problem: archery deer hunters getting upset about us bumping deer they'd spent weeks patterning.

It turns out the archery deer season ends January 6th too, so there will be a couple of days overlap between early trout and deer season. I was thinking more of packing a shotgun and spending the colder part of the day, before the water warms up a couple of degrees, looking for a flock of turkeys.
OTC_MN  
#9 Posted : Thursday, December 6, 2018 7:22:49 PM(UTC)
OTC_MN

Was thanked: 30 time(s) in 22 post(s)
I love winter fishing. Don't know why, but when you can stand and cast into open water, it always feels like you're getting away with something. Plus when you hit it right, the fishing can be spectacular. Even when it's not though, when it's 15 degrees and there's shelf ice and your beard is a snotsicle, even a couple fish is enough to declare victory.

I actually fished one of the MN streams that's still open last Friday, so I made it out in November by the skin of my teeth. One day in December and I'll have made it out at least once every month in 2018. Fishing was pretty stinky last Friday though. Probably the worst day I've had all season frankly.

One of my promises to myself for the upcoming season is that I'll head east into WI more this season. Closer than the MN stuff I like to fish so kind of stupid not to. The again, I *am* kind of stupid, so...
"Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish."
- Roderick Haig-Brown
Gurth  
#10 Posted : Thursday, December 6, 2018 7:32:25 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 74 time(s) in 60 post(s)
I’ve gotten a few in November and will definitely get at least one before this month is out.

I like winter fishing mostly coz this time of year sucks having to go to nearly empty water. It’s nice having unlimited choices again.

That said, I’m used to multiple fish days now and while I can and do call a 4 fish day in January a victory, it does get old after a few times out.

I’ve had some great days in January and February, but many more fair to poor days. March is where it’s at for me and that through May is what I can’t wait for.

After that, I’ll leave em to the rest of you and hit the kayak again.
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net