Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
William Schlafer  
#1 Posted : Thursday, December 6, 2018 5:17:02 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 101 time(s) in 87 post(s)
Any stream reports from the areas damaged in the August floods (upper Kickapoo tribs, Timber Coulee/Coon Creek system)? Many of my old favorite streams there were hardly recognizable when I last visited.

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

Has Vernon County decided if it will repair the Jersey Valley dam, or remove it?

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
Sponsor
trapper  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, December 11, 2018 2:09:35 AM(UTC)
trapper

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 22 post(s)
Vernon Cty has not desided anything about Jersey.
My personal opinion is Jersey will stay drained.
The WIDNR LAX crew has been busy all Fall repairing spots detriment to life and property even after November 1st.
Get Reel
thanks 1 user thanked trapper for this useful post.
William Schlafer on 12/11/2018(UTC)
William Schlafer  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, December 11, 2018 3:02:58 AM(UTC)
William Schlafer

What to do with Jersey Valley is a tough call.

A lot has obviously been invested in the property over the years. It would make sense to try and restore it to what it was. But the cost is probably too much for the county to absorb. Especially given the needs of the residents affected by the flood. Tearing out what's left of the dam is likely very expensive too. A tough call.

Glad to hear the worst of the damage is being addressed. Eventually Mother Nature will get around to rearranging and fixing the streams in her own way. Hopefully Trout populations that were negatively affected will bounce back again.

If nothing else, the flood will force old guys like me to expand my boundaries a bit and explore new streams outside of my normal stomping grounds.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
thanks 1 user thanked William Schlafer for this useful post.
HookJaw on 12/11/2018(UTC)
NBrevitz  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, December 11, 2018 3:57:47 AM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 30 post(s)
Wouldn’t the W Fk Kickapoo be healthier without a dam at her headwater?

I’m still mad that they’re rebuilding the dam on the Willow in St Croix County. The lower river has such potential for trophies.
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
Gurth  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, December 11, 2018 5:06:58 AM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 74 time(s) in 60 post(s)
Without question the WF would be better without that dam.

Unfortunate for those who used that park and its “lake” so I can see both sides.
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
William Schlafer  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, December 11, 2018 7:36:37 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Here's a summary of a meeting held last fall by area county officials, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, USDA, NRCS, and the Land Conservation Department regarding the fate of the Jersey Valley dam, as well as other flood retention structures across the area.

The challenge will be to decide what should be done to protect life and property, balanced against costs and long term affects to the watersheds. Studies are in process to hopefully shine better light on the best solution. Either way, it will be expensive.

"The dams looked like solutions 50 years ago, but maybe the conclusion of a study would be different now.” - Supervisor Rod Ofte (Coon Valley)

-Bill
trapper  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, December 12, 2018 10:51:12 PM(UTC)
trapper

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 22 post(s)
Vernon County owns Jersey Valley and its dam.Wisconsin dnr transfered the deed to the county.
Vernon County can not afford the libility issues if they refill and it fails again
County spent over 3 mil in "grouting" that was a total failure
Shame on past county board for your shit outlook, idiots

Edited by user Wednesday, December 12, 2018 10:52:01 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Get Reel
NBrevitz  
#8 Posted : Thursday, December 13, 2018 2:40:24 AM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 30 post(s)
Originally Posted by: William Schlafer Go to Quoted Post
Here's a summary of a meeting held last fall by area county officials, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, USDA, NRCS, and the Land Conservation Department regarding the fate of the Jersey Valley dam, as well as other flood retention structures across the area.

The challenge will be to decide what should be done to protect life and property, balanced against costs and long term affects to the watersheds. Studies are in process to hopefully shine better light on the best solution. Either way, it will be expensive.

"The dams looked like solutions 50 years ago, but maybe the conclusion of a study would be different now.” - Supervisor Rod Ofte (Coon Valley)

-Bill

Thanks Bill. I imagine the cost of rebuilding the dam would be considered exorbitant for the county.
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
Guillermo  
#9 Posted : Saturday, December 15, 2018 3:20:01 AM(UTC)
Guillermo

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 23 post(s)
That valley will be prettier without a damn and oddly shaped lake, in my opinion. But I also understand the best decision has to be made in regards to safety and local public opinion, and financially, of course.

On a side note, what has/will become of all the panfish and bass in the lake? Obviously they end up the river, but how long do they hang on after that? I've caught largemouth in the creek above the lake before, but it was only when they were spawning. One year I landed a 14 incher only to land a 15 inch brookie on the next cast in the same hole. Other populations of these species that I've known to exist in trout streams persist only in limited numbers, to the tune of catching only a handful every year or two, and are of no impact to the trout populations. And maybe they're there already, but I've never caught a brown above that barrier. Would dam removal alter the coldwater species makeup of the headwaters in favor of browns?

Edited by user Saturday, December 15, 2018 3:21:00 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified