Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
s.t.fanatic  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, January 15, 2019 5:23:48 PM(UTC)
s.t.fanatic

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Originally Posted by: chiflyguy Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: s.t.fanatic Go to Quoted Post
how much and how many days?

Around $5k and 10 days.
Biggest expense is the 3 hour float plane.

It’s cheaper for me to fly to Poland and fish the Rivers that border Slovakia plus go into Slovakia and fish the Vah River.

Look into http://www.moccasintrail...es.com/camps/winisk.html I have fished with them on multiple occasions. For the price your paying for the Sutton River trip i'd bet they'd let you float it all the way to the bay.
chiflyguy  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, January 15, 2019 6:34:28 PM(UTC)
chiflyguy

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
how much and how many days?

Around $5k and 10 days.
Biggest expense is the 3 hour float plane.

It’s cheaper for me to fly to Poland and fish the Rivers that border Slovakia plus go into Slovakia and fish the Vah River.

Look into http://www.moccasintrail...es.com/camps/winisk.html I have fished with them on multiple occasions. For the price your paying for the Sutton River trip i'd bet they'd let you float it all the way to the bay.

Thanks! I’ve looked at that before, I may have to revisit.
The Sutton River trip looks cool but having to keep looking over my shoulder for Polar Bears doesn’t look too appealing.
I’ll be fishing Poland and Slovakia in 2020.

hiknmike  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, January 16, 2019 7:10:11 PM(UTC)
hiknmike

United States

I did this trip in 2016 and it was amazing. You have the river to yourself and the fishing is very cool. We had a group of 4 and it cost $3k per person booked directly through Hearst Air. That covered air fare and boat rental. Incredible trip. I might consider doing it again.
NBrevitz  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, January 16, 2019 8:41:31 PM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 36 time(s) in 31 post(s)
This is the type of trip I’d kill to do, but as a college student I can’t justify that type of expense. 5-10 years, I’d be down.
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
chiflyguy  
#15 Posted : Thursday, January 17, 2019 2:50:01 AM(UTC)
chiflyguy

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: hiknmike Go to Quoted Post
I did this trip in 2016 and it was amazing. You have the river to yourself and the fishing is very cool. We had a group of 4 and it cost $3k per person booked directly through Hearst Air. That covered air fare and boat rental. Incredible trip. I might consider doing it again.

I’m looking for people that are interested.
If I can join a group even better.
Is the Sutton all that?
I also seen you mention the Asheweig River on a different post.
There is a camp that hasn’t been open for a couple years.
The Asheweig sounds fun.
I have emailed a guy from Kasobonika a couple times.

NBrevitz  
#16 Posted : Thursday, January 17, 2019 7:59:21 AM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 36 time(s) in 31 post(s)
Originally Posted by: hiknmike Go to Quoted Post

I’m looking for people that are interested.
If I can join a group even better.
Is the Sutton all that?
I also seen you mention the Asheweig River on a different post.
There is a camp that hasn’t been open for a couple years.
The Asheweig sounds fun.
I have emailed a guy from Kasobonika a couple times.

The Sutton is probably the best Brook Trout fishery in the world right now, besides Fortress Lake. Thing is they aren’t natives at Fortress, but a 5 lb fish isn’t anythuny besides a really nice fish there. The Asheweig is awesome from what I’ve heard, but I think the Albany River kicks out bigger fish. You’d catch a ton of 3-5 lb fish on Asheweig, but you’d have a chance at a true monster on the Albany.
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
hiknmike  
#17 Posted : Thursday, January 17, 2019 10:51:08 PM(UTC)
hiknmike

United States

The experience is what is appealing about the Sutton for me. If you like to spend a week or more camping out of a canoe on a river you have to yourself while catching some really nice trout, the Sutton is for you. If you are striving for truly huge fish, that isn't the Sutton. Beautiful scenery, the northern lights, seeing caribou and bears, and the solitude, coupled with very good numbers of 18-23" fish you can catch on topwater is what I experienced. As far as cost, to me it was reasonable for what I got. $300 per day is less than I'd pay for a day of guided fishing. On the Sutton, I found no need to have a guide and preferred the wilderness experience of a 10 day paddle. Also instead of flying to Alaska, it's just a long days drive.

For what it's worth, The Asheweig is still on my list but not because of the size, just the experience. Floating that is more technical though (you could float the sutton in an inner tube). I haven't found the right group. For huge fish, Char in the brooks range is top of my list.