Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Gurth  
#1 Posted : Sunday, December 30, 2018 2:21:23 AM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 88 time(s) in 73 post(s)
Well, let's see how everyone applies those winter tactics in... just under a week now.

Took the dogs to the lower portion (below classified) of an area trout stream and it was running a bit high and stained and looked cold as to be expected with the rain we just got. Should be optimal in 7 days.

Loving this four day weekend before a three day work week followed by one of my favorite holidays of the year.

Still unsure where I'm gonna go. Have about 9 or 10 ideas and will only be able to get to maybe 3 of them.

Feels like the 2019 season is already slipping away. Laugh Flapper
“Harvest eaters... release trophies.” -Gurth
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
Sponsor
Gurth  
#2 Posted : Thursday, January 3, 2019 3:07:37 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

In 48 hours.... I’ll be in a trout stream.

:)
WI-fly  
#3 Posted : Thursday, January 3, 2019 3:11:28 PM(UTC)
WI-fly

Man

Was thanked: 27 time(s) in 20 post(s)
The kid and I will be out there somewhere. Looks like temps of 45ish here in La Crosse county on Saturday. Not looking to catch a ton of fish, just out there to say we tried. #slacker
=============
Curt Rees
Coulee Region Trout Unlimited
Catch fish, have a good time, protect the resource.
CRTU Facebook
CRTU Instagram
OTC_MN  
#4 Posted : Thursday, January 3, 2019 3:23:11 PM(UTC)
OTC_MN

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 26 post(s)
Good luck and be safe this weekend. Wish I were going to be able to get out - but I'll be cooling my heels in the Wisconsin Dells at a hockey tournament instead. Ahh well. They'll still be there in a week or so.
"Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish."
- Roderick Haig-Brown
Gurth  
#5 Posted : Thursday, January 3, 2019 3:28:52 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Originally Posted by: OTC_MN Go to Quoted Post
Good luck and be safe this weekend. Wish I were going to be able to get out - but I'll be cooling my heels in the Wisconsin Dells at a hockey tournament instead. Ahh well. They'll still be there in a week or so.

There are a couple options near the dells if you have time to sneak out. Email me if you want.

Otherwise, enjoy the tourney. Two years out of hockey now and we sometimes miss the tourneys.

My son’s HS team played each of 4 years at the Kiwanis tourney in Rochester and we grew to love that downtown with our friends.
NG_Trout  
#6 Posted : Thursday, January 3, 2019 4:11:58 PM(UTC)
NG_Trout

47 F down in my neck of the woods. Hoping to hit the stream just over the hill from our house. Probably will feel more like mid-April than January this weekend!
- Hope is not a strategy
Z4c64  
#7 Posted : Thursday, January 3, 2019 5:58:43 PM(UTC)
Z4c64

Man
United States

I have a trip to ND scheduled Sunday through Tuesday. On Tuesday my route takes me over at least 15-20 good Wisconsin trout streams. I hope to stop and fish on the way home. I know some good spots and I do not need anyone to share secrets. However, I do seek wisdom.

Some of the creeks are really good for Brook Trout, some are really good for Brown trout. I like catching (and obviously releasing) both kinds of trout, but I just wanted to make sure I'm fishing for the kind that is most active.

During the winter do one of the species bite better than the other? I know Browns can tolerate warmer water, but do they also get active first in cooler water, or is the Brookie's entire temperature preference range cooler than the Browns.

Thank you so much to those who share wisdom. This is my first trip out in winter as I just started trout fishing again last spring!

Edited by user Thursday, January 3, 2019 6:03:53 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Gurth  
#8 Posted : Thursday, January 3, 2019 6:48:59 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Anecdotally... no.

I've never noticed a difference.

When fishing mixed streams, they're either all on or all off.

I've caught both in equal measures proportional to the slower fishing that usually happens in the winter.

Water temp in the individual stream and whether it's warming or cooling will be the key imho.

Edited by user Thursday, January 3, 2019 6:49:29 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Gurth for this useful post.
Z4c64 on 1/3/2019(UTC)
Pete  
#9 Posted : Thursday, January 3, 2019 7:06:42 PM(UTC)
Pete

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Just found out that I'll be turkey hunting on Saturday morning in Sheboygan Co. After that, one of my hunting partners will show me a local trout stream and we'll make a few casts. From recent photos, there looks to be a lot of snow on the ground. It will make spotting turkeys easier, but warm weather will probably cause a lot of runoff and some poor fishing. But I'm out there fishing for trout in January and learning a new stream from someone knowledgeable, so I won't be doing much complaining. It sure beats chopping a hole in the ice and waiting for a panfish to eat the waxworm.
shebs  
#10 Posted : Friday, January 4, 2019 12:24:28 AM(UTC)
shebs

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 28 post(s)
Got a head start on you silly 'Sconnies - MN opened on Tuesday, and while I was not up for fishing in high temps of 7 degrees on New Year's Day, I did use half of a 'sick' day and snuck out while it was warm today.

First fish of the year was a nice healthy 17" brown. This net shot makes him look super skinny for some reason, and while he certainly wasn't the obese mofo I caught later, he certainly wasn't missing any meals even in the dead of winter.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Non-descript scenery shot that will give you zero clue where to find these pigs...Not that you'd find it if you tried, it's a private stretch far from any access that I trade beer for access to Flapper

ask Ron about the first time we met the landowner, apparently we're lucky he didn't shoot us on sight LOL

UserPostedImage

And now for the good stuff. Fished the best hole in this section where I caught a beastly 20+ last year - tossed a #6 Panther Martin (rebuild of course, the Dominican child labor doesnt make 'em like they used to), and had this tank crush it before I even had the bail closed

UserPostedImage

Not the best picture, as I was on a steep bank and didn't want to keep it out of the water long, but I gave it a quick measure - just a hair over 19" and 11" girth...she was fat as fuck. had to be 3-3.5 lbs.

Setting the bar high for 2019...on to Wisconsin on Saturday with plans to top this!
A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. ~Author Unknown
Modern Translation, with respect for the Notorious B.I.G. : "Fuck Money, Get Fishes"