Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
William Schlafer  
#21 Posted : Saturday, January 5, 2019 11:49:01 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 173 time(s) in 134 post(s)
Well, it was a lovely day for a walk. Smile

I did manage to catch three small Browns and one decent Brookie with my efforts. Limiting factor was the water temperature; It was 45 degrees when I arrived and didn't budge much throughout the day. Didn't really see any snow melt runoff until late in the day. The small stream was running clear with good flow.

The creek runs generally east to west and is tucked next to a tall bluff - so not much sun made it's way to the water. The snow crunching under foot was also doing a good job of spooking fish along with my sloppy casts. It's possible that the bite may have picked up later in the afternoon with the air temps in the upper 40s. But after slogging though the chilly morning, I was ready to go home by 2PM.

The warm weather for opening day coaxed lots of fishermen out. There were cars parked at nearly every possible access point I looked at on four different streams.

But, it was good to get out, get some exercise and catch a few Trout. Not a bad way to start the season.

UserPostedImage

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
billybigbilly  
#22 Posted : Sunday, January 6, 2019 2:31:59 AM(UTC)
billybigbilly

Man

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 11 post(s)
I went fishing on the opener too, just across the river and in Minnesota. It was my first time fishing in January and I did quite well, around 13 fish. The stream was a familiar one and the water temp was 42 the whole time I fished it.
My first Trout of 2019
UserPostedImage
A nice Brookie
UserPostedImage
And another
UserPostedImage

I thought the day was going to be a Brookie day until i came upon a pool and I said out loud "something big is in here" and volia a 15 inch brown ( its big for me Flapper )
UserPostedImage
All in all a fun janurary fishing trip.
weiliwen  
#23 Posted : Sunday, January 6, 2019 4:24:55 AM(UTC)
weiliwen

Man
United States
Location: Madison, Wisconsin during the week and Lincolnshire, Illinois on weekends.

Was thanked: 43 time(s) in 37 post(s)
I did not badly - caught two fish in the first 9 casts, and a couple more over the course of the day. Where I was fishing, the fish were looking up, jumping all over the place. I got 'em with a hare's ear flymph just under the surface film.
Bob Williams, "Weiliwen"
madguy30  
#24 Posted : Sunday, January 6, 2019 4:27:22 AM(UTC)
madguy30

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Originally Posted by: William Schlafer Go to Quoted Post
Well, it was a lovely day for a walk. Smile

I did manage to catch three small Browns and one decent Brookie with my efforts. Limiting factor was the water temperature; It was 45 degrees when I arrived and didn't budge much throughout the day. Didn't really see any snow melt runoff until late in the day. The small stream was running clear with good flow.

The creek runs generally east to west and is tucked next to a tall bluff - so not much sun made it's way to the water. The snow crunching under foot was also doing a good job of spooking fish along with my sloppy casts. It's possible that the bite may have picked up later in the afternoon with the air temps in the upper 40s. But after slogging though the chilly morning, I was ready to go home by 2PM.

The warm weather for opening day coaxed lots of fishermen out. There were cars parked at nearly every possible access point I looked at on four different streams.

But, it was good to get out, get some exercise and catch a few Trout. Not a bad way to start the season.

UserPostedImage

-Bill

Yeah if anything the winter season is just a good way to get a good hike in with the weather never helping skiing/snowshoeing consistently, just with some fishing on the side.
Gurth  
#25 Posted : Sunday, January 6, 2019 7:11:40 AM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 144 time(s) in 112 post(s)
So… here’s my first trout of 2019…

UserPostedImage

Crazily enough, this little hen was dropping roe as I unhooked her. Seems too small for that.

Day got off to an unexpectedly slow start.

Went honey hole hopping with a buddy and we each had two fish to hand by about 10 am.

He had other obligations and I went to a new stream on my own and on literally the first cast, I got this lovely lady…

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Just slightly over 21 inches and I thought it was the start of a potentially huge afternoon. Pump the brakes there buddy.

I don’t know if things just shut off due to the melt of if there just weren’t many fish around but only got 4 more fish the rest of the day.

A 16, a 14, a small brown and a decent bow…

UserPostedImage

All in all, pleased with the big brown on opening day but truth be told, fishing was pretty slow overall.

Not complaining. It was just slow.

Going somewhere more trouty tomorrow. Went after bigguns today and got one. Looking for a pleasant fish count day tomorrow.

We'll see how it goes.

Merry Troutmas everyone!

Edited by user Sunday, January 6, 2019 7:20:37 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

“Harvest eaters... release trophies.” -Gurth
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
Gurth  
#26 Posted : Monday, January 7, 2019 9:37:32 AM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 144 time(s) in 112 post(s)
Sunday was more of the same slowish winter fishing.

Didn’t want to travel out to Grant or go above the Wisco and the options I was hoping to fish closer to home were low and clear and I could tell by looking at them that they wouldn’t fish well.

Tried for a little bit anyway but only saw a couple of little ones.

Headed to bigger water where at least I knew I had a shot at something.

Ended up with 8 solid browns to hand, probably averaging 13 or 14 inches and all fought well. One was probably a little above 16 inches.

I said it before, but it was easy to forget what even an average trout feels like after catching lots of bluegills through the ice.

Post needs photos, so here are a couple…

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Nice starting weekend to the season and I’m glad to be able to go back to trout waters.

Oh yeah… and “I am Groot!”

UserPostedImage
“Harvest eaters... release trophies.” -Gurth
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
William Schlafer  
#27 Posted : Monday, January 7, 2019 5:06:15 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 173 time(s) in 134 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Gurth Go to Quoted Post
Oh yeah… and “I am Groot!”

UserPostedImage

Sweet! Man, you see faces everywhere.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
rschmidt  
#28 Posted : Tuesday, January 8, 2019 3:44:05 AM(UTC)
rschmidt

Was thanked: 55 time(s) in 47 post(s)
Fish were hitting hard on 1/5/2019. Never had a 40 degree January fish day before.

Water was clear and cold, but it was 32 and calm when I started.

First walk in back cast resulted in a strike.
UserPostedImage

I had a few more, and watched one beast swim away.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

By this time, Shebs had rolled into the area and we hit a place. The bite was pretty dam good with 30+ to hand.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImageUserPostedImage

Fish were in riff ends and striking hard, no lethargy at all.
UserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImage

We has 3 dbls and 2 four fish holes. No bigs, but also no dinks. A good opener for a 40 degree January Day!
UserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImage

Happy Fishing!

Ron
Z4c64  
#29 Posted : Tuesday, January 8, 2019 10:09:38 PM(UTC)
Z4c64

Man
United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I was only able to get out for an hour so I stopped at the Kinnickinic at one of the easements.
Since it was Monday I had the place to myself. However lots of footprints from the weekend. Water was dripping off snow and ice areas next to the creek so fish were inactive.
But it was fun to get out in January!