Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Pete  
#1 Posted : Friday, January 18, 2019 3:13:29 PM(UTC)
Pete

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 15 post(s)
For those of you who are fans of Outdoor Wisconsin, the new season has started. Three new episodes are available for viewing on the Milwaukee PBS site. The second and third shows feature segments on kayak fishing the Pine River in Richland County. DTA's very own Trapper is part of the segment.

I took a very superficial look at the Pine years ago on the way home from Vernon County. I made a few casts but didn't fish it very effectively because it was late September and the bankside vegetation made placing a cast difficult. But it had a big fish reputation even back then. I think Len H. did a lot of his hog hunting on the Pine. The Outdoor Wisconsin shows were filmed last Spring and it didn't look anything like the sidewalk-wide Driftless streams I usually fish. Much bigger water and it had a lot of color compared to the smaller streams. It probably doesn't hold 5-10,000 fish/mile, but the ones that are there are likely very well-fed and large. I'm sure the forage is much different than the smaller streams and more likely to produce some big fish.
Sponsor
Gurth  
#2 Posted : Friday, January 18, 2019 3:35:28 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 107 time(s) in 86 post(s)
Thanks for the tip and I'll check em out.

The upper Pine has long been on my list of places that I want to check out but driving along it has been somewhat intimidating.

Not that I'm afraid of the size, but I understand that it will take a while to learn it and there will be a lot of fruitless casts. Doubt it's a place that you just go and catch fish like most Driftless waters.

Like you say though... the payoff could be huge.

I'm going somewhere like that tomorrow. A place that I haven't been before, will be difficult to get around, will likely have a low density of trout but has the potential to payoff with a big trout.

We'll see how it goes.
“Harvest eaters... release trophies.” -Gurth
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
Pete  
#3 Posted : Friday, January 18, 2019 4:31:41 PM(UTC)
Pete

Originally Posted by: Gurth Go to Quoted Post

I'm going somewhere like that tomorrow. A place that I haven't been before, will be difficult to get around, will likely have a low density of trout but has the potential to payoff with a big trout.

We'll see how it goes.

Stay warm and I hope your vehicle is good in snow. Good luck!
Gurth  
#4 Posted : Friday, January 18, 2019 6:06:19 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Thanks!

The spot we’re going to is north of here so hoping it gets light snow at the most.
William Schlafer  
#5 Posted : Friday, January 18, 2019 8:05:38 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 128 time(s) in 106 post(s)
The upper portions of the Pine River (and it's tribs) are quite productive in places. Access is a bit spotty, as there aren't a lot of easements or DNR owned properties up there. Below Rockbridge the river is bigger deeper water that is often heavily stained and with lots of high collapsing banks. This area floods easily in the spring and after heavy rains. However, some truly large Trout have been caught all the way down through Richland Center. Finding them of course, is the issue.

I've been told there have been good runs of Bass in recent years in the lower sections moving up from the Wisconsin River. In general, the river and it's water quality have improved significantly since the dam in Richland Center was removed and a flood control dyke was installed in the 90s.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
Pete  
#6 Posted : Friday, January 18, 2019 10:12:51 PM(UTC)
Pete

Originally Posted by: William Schlafer Go to Quoted Post
The upper portions of the Pine River (and it's tribs) are quite productive in places. Access is a bit spotty, as there aren't a lot of easements or DNR owned properties up there. Below Rockbridge the river is bigger deeper water that is often heavily stained and with lots of high collapsing banks. This area floods easily in the spring and after heavy rains. However, some truly large Trout have been caught all the way down through Richland Center. Finding them of course, is the issue.

I've been told there have been good runs of Bass in recent years in the lower sections moving up from the Wisconsin River. In general, the river and it's water quality have improved significantly since the dam in Richland Center was removed and a flood control dyke was installed in the 90s.

-Bill

The segment must’ve been filmed below Rockbridge because it was exactly as you described: stained (or muddy if you prefer) and collapsed banks. And of course big enough for a group to kayak.

It would be fun to throw a mouse or frog pattern or a big streamer and see what eats it first: pike, smallmouth or big brown.
Gurth  
#7 Posted : Friday, January 18, 2019 11:18:55 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Originally Posted by: Pete Go to Quoted Post

It would be fun to throw a mouse or frog pattern or a big streamer and see what eats it first: pike, smallmouth or big brown.

Box of Chocolates fishing... my favorite kind.
Guillermo  
#8 Posted : Saturday, January 19, 2019 11:18:38 AM(UTC)
Guillermo

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 23 post(s)
"It would be fun to throw a mouse or frog pattern or a big streamer and see what eats it first: pike, smallmouth or big brown."

Plot twist...Bull Shark.
big_river_bum  
#9 Posted : Saturday, January 19, 2019 11:50:51 AM(UTC)
big_river_bum

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 17 post(s)
I've caught small mouth on the pine all the way up by yuba

like any bigger water around here......focus on finding things that would concentrate trout. springs. where smaller colder feeder streams come into it. cliff shaded pools

big_river_bum  
#10 Posted : Saturday, January 19, 2019 11:55:06 AM(UTC)
big_river_bum

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 17 post(s)
I remember walking across a downed cottonwood on the lower pine. I had to walk through a large herd of cattle or cross the stream. it was the middle of nowhere and I hate messing with cattle when I can't see the road

half way across, 15 feet above the stream/log jam, it occurred to me that i'm not very smart

i just don't fish that stuff much anymore