Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Life of Riley  
#1 Posted : Friday, January 25, 2019 9:28:09 AM(UTC)
Life of Riley

Korea, D.P.R.O.

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 5 post(s)
I saw Ron's recent video where he tries fluoro and it tangles like a birds nest and he goes back to PP. Go with mono, much better line management, less memory compared to fluoro. Doesn't freeze like braid. If wishing to stick with a "super" line go with berkley nanofil, this has similar properties to mono in freezing temps. It frays more easily than power pro, but is not a weave, and will not freeze on the spool like PP. And with the fluoro, you probably overfilled the spool. And also pre-loaded the line with memory when you spooled it. Not trying to be hyper-critical here, because I've learned a ton from the WI trout videos, and really appreciate you posting them. That being said I've spent many many hours fishing on half frozen rivers in under 32 degrees for walleyes, and tried many different line options.
Sponsor
weiliwen  
#2 Posted : Friday, January 25, 2019 2:32:06 PM(UTC)
weiliwen

Man
United States
Location: Madison, Wisconsin during the week and Lincolnshire, Illinois on weekends.

Was thanked: 42 time(s) in 36 post(s)
Not for spinning, but fly fishing: In the really cold weather, don't use furled thread leaders! I fished the season opener a couple years ago up in Vernon county, and within a second of pulling a furled line out of the water for a back-cast, it was no longer a leader but a long stick - frozen solid. I had to switch to a tapered monofilament line.
Bob Williams, "Weiliwen"