Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Wadingwisconsin  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, February 19, 2019 5:50:13 PM(UTC)
Wadingwisconsin

Man
United States

After 100s off attempts to crack the consistency code on the main Kickapoo for trophy browns I’ve came up with nothing that works consistently. If anyone has any advice or ideas I’d love to listen
Sponsor
trapper  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, February 19, 2019 7:38:02 PM(UTC)
trapper

Was thanked: 28 time(s) in 24 post(s)
608.304.678five
Get Reel
thanks 1 user thanked trapper for this useful post.
Wadingwisconsin on 2/20/2019(UTC)
William Schlafer  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, February 19, 2019 10:10:12 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 115 time(s) in 97 post(s)
I've been told that in the spring, the confluence of smaller creeks where they feed into the Kickapoo is a great place to target big Trout. The big boys need lots of food to sustain their metabolism, so anyplace with lots of baitfish and good protective cover is a good bet. Any great looking spot that seemingly has no Trout in it is possibly the home for an Alpha Trout. They will drive away or eat anything that comes into their view.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
thanks 2 users thanked William Schlafer for this useful post.
Wadingwisconsin on 2/20/2019(UTC), Pete on 2/20/2019(UTC)
NBrevitz  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, February 19, 2019 11:01:13 PM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 37 post(s)
^^^What Bill said.
There’s a stream I fish fairly regularly with a great hole not far above the bridge. I rarely, if ever catch anything out of it. This summer, I happened to catch the stain just right one day, and landed a 23 inch Brown on the third cast. I’m convinced he just owns that pool and I caught him with his guard down.

Now that’s not a 30, but this stream puts out maybe 20 cfs where I landed that fish. I’m sure he’s King Duke for at least a 1/2 mile.

I’d fish with a good stain early or late in the day, and I’d throw something you’d generally toss at Bass or Pike. A guide friend of mine loves big X-Raps for big Browns at night.
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
thanks 2 users thanked NBrevitz for this useful post.
Wadingwisconsin on 2/20/2019(UTC), Pete on 2/20/2019(UTC)
JGF  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, February 20, 2019 12:07:54 AM(UTC)
JGF

Man
United States

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 16 post(s)
You're probably not going to find great consistency. Chasing huge Browns is like Musky fishing - you're not going to get into huge fish in very low density populations consistently. You're hoping to hit lightning in a bottle. Talking about catching 30" Brown Trout is probably about equivalent of catching a mid-50's Musky. For most everyone - even those that hunt them - it's a fish you might catch a couple of in your life (and that's if you really try).

Throw big stuff. Try at night. From what I've seen and know, most big fish are caught in early spring and late fall. Those will help your odds but you're still hunting Bigfoot (OK, not Bigfoot because that's not real).
thanks 1 user thanked JGF for this useful post.
Wadingwisconsin  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, February 20, 2019 12:46:25 AM(UTC)
Wadingwisconsin

Man
United States

I’m aware it’s impossible to consistently catch monster browns let alone 30 plus inchers. I’ve fished it at night at least 50 times. Everything from mice, 6 to 8 inch streamers, jerk baits, swim bait you name it. But you could beat the banks all day and night long on the big kick and it just seems dead. One fish a weekend is a good weekend on that river. I should rephrase the question, is there any tweaks specifically you guys do as far as presentation that ups the number of trout caught it’s a hard weekend out there stripping that river with everything I’ve tried
Wadingwisconsin  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, February 20, 2019 1:09:10 AM(UTC)
Wadingwisconsin

Man
United States

As Kelly Galloup said “nobody catches monster brown trout all the time if your lucky you’ll catch 5” I’m not trying to say it’s possible to consistently catch trophy’s I’m just asking if there’s ways to get more consistency in catching Browns on the main Kickapoo, my bad for the unclear wording!
JGF  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, February 20, 2019 1:46:30 AM(UTC)
JGF

Man
United States

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 16 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Wadingwisconsin Go to Quoted Post
I’m aware it’s impossible to consistently catch monster browns let alone 30 plus inchers. I’ve fished it at night at least 50 times. Everything from mice, 6 to 8 inch streamers, jerk baits, swim bait you name it. But you could beat the banks all day and night long on the big kick and it just seems dead. One fish a weekend is a good weekend on that river. I should rephrase the question, is there any tweaks specifically you guys do as far as presentation that ups the number of trout caught it’s a hard weekend out there stripping that river with everything I’ve tried

Other than throwing bait, you're doing all the right things, I'd think. You just have to be in the right place, at the right time, and even then, you have to get a little lucky. You're hunting rare beasts...

I can't speak much to the specifics as it's just not something I'm into.

I'd read some years ago about people fishing trout with bass-sized poppers, mostly at night. Maybe doing something really unorthodox would be the ticket?

Give a call to the area fish biologist and see what they know about the distribution of trout in the river. I'm guessing that even in a big river like the mainstem Kick, 22"+ trout are very rare.

thanks 1 user thanked JGF for this useful post.
Wadingwisconsin  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, February 20, 2019 1:52:45 AM(UTC)
Wadingwisconsin

Man
United States

I mean 20 plus is a nice trout but I wouldn’t say they are rare in a river that size. This year alone I pulled out three over 22” I just feel like it’s such a pain to present things the right way to them. The water clearity is very poor and I think you might be into something with the popper! trying something unorthodox might actually work. Thanks
mmalyuk  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, February 20, 2019 1:59:30 AM(UTC)
mmalyuk

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 13 post(s)
WadingWisconsin... I commonly fish for big browns with 2 buddies or by myself. I would target them in Spring in the main stem of the Kickapoo to up your chances. Fishing in the rain or when the water has a nice stain would be ideal. The biggest inland brown I ever saw was 32" and caught on a large rap. My buddy caught a 28" brown also on a rap. If you are willing to use bait it's tough to beat a nightcrawler or chub.

30 incher would be magical!
thanks 1 user thanked mmalyuk for this useful post.