Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Hegawn  
#1 Posted : Monday, March 4, 2019 4:01:20 PM(UTC)
Hegawn

United States

This stuff is diabolical. I thought I had this figured out but was hoping somebody might share their idea(s) about how to minimize its nasty habit of puncturing and/or tearing waders up. Those pointy things are sharp.

I travel on the streams lite and carry only scissors. hemostats and a couple extra lures but on special occasions use a backpack if Geo and I need to bring along barley pops or keeping something for dinner. So last season I tried slipping a 2-3 foot length of old garden hose over a saggy strand and kinda sorta worked but one false move and the barbs poked thru. Next time on the stream I tried using a piece of black foam pipe insulation. A little better but still can poke thru.

This year I might try using a piece of clear plastic tubing or just fish streams where I don't have to do a barbed wire dance. Wire cutters would be ideal but trying not to tick off anyone is optimal.
"When you come to a fork in the stream, take it!" - if Yogi Berra was a trout chaser...
Sponsor
weiliwen  
#2 Posted : Monday, March 4, 2019 8:46:37 PM(UTC)
weiliwen

Man
United States
Location: Madison, Wisconsin during the week and Lincolnshire, Illinois on weekends.

Was thanked: 38 time(s) in 32 post(s)
What I usually do is take a middle strand of barbed wire, and "hook" it over the strand on top. Then I do the same with the lower middle strand to the lowest strand. Then I go through them r e a l s l o w. That way, if I feel my waders, shirt, or ear, are catching on a barb, I can stop and re-arrange myself to avoid tearing anything.

My barbed wire song, to the tune of Camptown Ladies:

"When I was young I had no sense
(doo dah, doo dah)
Ripped my balls on a barbed wire fence
(oh, doo dah day)
To the hospital I did go
(doo dah, doo da)
And to the nurse I had to show my
Oh, Doo Da Day"

(Thanks, I'm here all week!)
Bob Williams, "Weiliwen"
thanks 1 user thanked weiliwen for this useful post.
NE IA Drifter on 3/5/2019(UTC)
William Schlafer  
#3 Posted : Monday, March 4, 2019 9:26:48 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 128 time(s) in 106 post(s)
Being a man of (ahem) stout stature, I do battle with barb wire fences from time to time, and the fence usually wins.

What I do is remove my vest, net, hat, jacket and anything else that might hang up on the barbs. Then, whenever possible, I go under, not through the middle of the wires. As Weilwen mentioned, hook the bottom wire to the middle one(s) to get a little space underneath. Getting on the ground to slide under a fence is uncomfortable and occasionally dirty, but it beats getting hung up on the wires or ripping my waders.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
shebs  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, March 5, 2019 4:49:06 AM(UTC)
shebs

Was thanked: 42 time(s) in 35 post(s)
The best tip I can offer for barbed wire is to just stay in the water. If the wire is anywhere close to being an obstacle to wading it rarely lasts long
A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. ~Author Unknown
Modern Translation, with respect for the Notorious B.I.G. : "Fuck Money, Get Fishes"
Hoggies  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, March 5, 2019 3:27:25 PM(UTC)
Hoggies

Man
United States

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 9 post(s)
I go under.
thanks 1 user thanked Hoggies for this useful post.
s.t.fanatic on 3/11/2019(UTC)
fish4life  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, March 6, 2019 4:36:19 PM(UTC)
fish4life

The old army roll, one of the easiest ways to get over a bard wire fence
>>~}}}}}}'>
Hegawn  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, March 6, 2019 10:57:22 PM(UTC)
Hegawn

United States

Originally Posted by: weiliwen Go to Quoted Post
What I usually do is take a middle strand of barbed wire, and "hook" it over the strand on top. Then I do the same with the lower middle strand to the lowest strand. Then I go through them r e a l s l o w. That way, if I feel my waders, shirt, or ear, are catching on a barb, I can stop and re-arrange myself to avoid tearing anything.

(doo dah, doo dah)
(oh, doo dah day)
To the hospital I did go
(doo dah, doo da)
Oh, Doo Da Day"

Awesome jingle, if I can't memorize it I gotta clip and carry it for when the action slows on the stream. Also, like the idea of hooking strands together,great idea! Cool, now I have some good anti barb wire tactics and more music to add to my limited fish barbed wire music playlist. Thanks guys.
"When you come to a fork in the stream, take it!" - if Yogi Berra was a trout chaser...
NBrevitz  
#8 Posted : Thursday, March 7, 2019 3:16:56 AM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 51 time(s) in 42 post(s)
Originally Posted by: weiliwen Go to Quoted Post

(doo dah, doo dah)
(oh, doo dah day)
To the hospital I did go
(doo dah, doo da)
Oh, Doo Da Day"

Oh my god yes😂 I do the same thing. I’ll normally set my rod over the structure, and slide under it on my back, pushing up on the bottom wire as I go.
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
s.t.fanatic  
#9 Posted : Monday, March 11, 2019 6:42:33 PM(UTC)
s.t.fanatic

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 13 post(s)
I would go under. With that said I've never tore a pair of waders because I've never owned a pair.