Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
billybigbilly  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, March 20, 2019 2:07:47 AM(UTC)
billybigbilly

Man

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Originally Posted by: madguy30 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: billybigbilly Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: William Schlafer Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: weiliwen Go to Quoted Post

Stealth is, I have come to understand with experience, a big deal on Driftless streams. They are usually slowly meandering, and clear as well. Keeping you, your shadow, and even your rod out of the fish's sight is a good idea. I tend to dress in drab, camouflage-y clothes these days, and try to keep flashy stuff (chrome zingers Orvis H3 rods) hidden.

Great point.

I can't find it now, but there used to be a video out there that showed what a Trout might see from underwater. Little things like a shiny reflective button on your shirt is enough to send Trout flying for cover. Many predators eyes are reflective and Trout have evolved to react quickly to bright shiny eyes looking down on them. If you don't believe me, just take something reflective with you the next time you fish and try flashing some light towards a pool of fish, and watch what happens.

Clothing colors may be less important as Trout mostly see in contrasts. But I always wear muted colors that help me blend into the vegetation and background around the stream. I would leave the hot pink, bright green, optic yellow stuff you see in those fishing catalogs at home, mostly cause I think it just looks stupid.

RollEyes

-Bill

Here is a nice video about how trout see underwater, there are three parts buy it is an interesting watch and has lots of good info.

That's a very cool video. Could see random insects coming through at times. Interesting.

Yeah it is pretty cool, even without the information it is cool seeing how the trout live underwater. there are two more parts if you look them up.

Mark Dahlquist  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, March 20, 2019 12:04:54 PM(UTC)
Mark Dahlquist

Man

Was thanked: 29 time(s) in 21 post(s)
Neat video. I have failed to realize that in turbulent water trout can be pointing downstream too. I've never seen the videos before. Some really big brooks and browns!

Stealth including vibration while walking or wading. Keeping a low profile. If you are spin fishing you have the advantage of being able to make really long casts so t can be helpful to be in the creek such that your lure runs the entire way.

Early season (such as now) I find I more effective to fish late afternoon to sunset. That is the warmest part of the day. Then when the grass is green and things really warm up I'm out there one hour before sunrise and home before 9am for browns. Or continue on, however for brooks because brooks can be caught all day long. If you do fish crawler use small chunks and do minimal split shot or no split at all. The "plunk" sound of a big split shot can send trout running. As others have said your shadow is a big deal.
-Mark
Board Owner
UserPostedImage
rschmidt  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, March 20, 2019 12:15:01 PM(UTC)
rschmidt

Was thanked: 62 time(s) in 51 post(s)
Cool video. In my opinion, being in the stream is the best spot for not disturbing fish. If you are spooking fish, it is because they see you. I think the whole idea of stealth and belly crawling is exaggerated. If you try to bank fish, the angle of approach from the bank makes you much more visible. I really don't find many spooky fish in the driftless where I fish. Happy Fishing!
Mark Dahlquist  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, March 20, 2019 1:14:07 PM(UTC)
Mark Dahlquist

Man

Was thanked: 29 time(s) in 21 post(s)
Yes some swear to stay in the stream. Ron is one of of them. I'm in the stream most of the time as a spin fisherman. It's hard to do in the really small creeks though. Always cast well above where the fish should be. So many land their fly, spin, or bait right on top of the fish and he will spook. Are there snow banks still? Sat on them and then drag your lure off the bank.
-Mark
Board Owner
UserPostedImage
mmalyuk  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, March 20, 2019 4:45:40 PM(UTC)
mmalyuk

Was thanked: 32 time(s) in 22 post(s)
I also stay in the stream 90+ percent of the time and wade upstream.
NBrevitz  
#16 Posted : Wednesday, March 20, 2019 7:59:41 PM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 69 time(s) in 56 post(s)
With spin fishing I think you’re much better off staying in the water and bombing casts upstream well beyond a fish’s lie. With fly fishing it’s highly dependent on how much backcast you can get away with in a given spot.
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
madguy30  
#17 Posted : Thursday, March 21, 2019 9:47:39 AM(UTC)
madguy30

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Originally Posted by: rschmidt Go to Quoted Post
Cool video. In my opinion, being in the stream is the best spot for not disturbing fish. If you are spooking fish, it is because they see you. I think the whole idea of stealth and belly crawling is exaggerated. If you try to bank fish, the angle of approach from the bank makes you much more visible. I really don't find many spooky fish in the driftless where I fish. Happy Fishing!

This is where I'm typically at as well.

Deer/cows/horses/whatever cross the stream all the time, and fish still eat.

I've caught plenty of fish while sloshing around and casting close. May spook a few but that's going to happen no matter what.

Trout are just fish with small brains with simple functions and many times more willing to strike than other species.

If I were to fly fish for something like carp from my understanding I'd have to be way more careful with my approach.