Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
RadRedJaw  
#1 Posted : Thursday, April 4, 2019 7:48:38 PM(UTC)
RadRedJaw

Man
United States

I know everybody has their own pace, rhythm and capabilities, so this may not pertain to everyone, BUT how many MPH do you typically fish? Yesterday I spent 2-3 hours wading 1500 feet of stream on a decent bite. I was throwing rapalas and Mepps - not sure if fly guys could cover more water or not. The bottom was a bit mucky and I forgot my walking stick OhMyGod so all in all I wasn’t trying to hurry.

Anyhow I bring this up for 2 reasons
1 - it seems a bit slow for a healthy 29 year old guy
2 - I’ve got my eyes on a 3 mile stretch near a buddies house
Is the opposite of a gut buster a butt guster?
Sponsor
weiliwen  
#2 Posted : Thursday, April 4, 2019 7:52:37 PM(UTC)
weiliwen

Man
United States
Location: Madison, Wisconsin during the week and Lincolnshire, Illinois on weekends.

Was thanked: 45 time(s) in 39 post(s)
My speed on the creek is not a result of my stamina or fitness or age, but of the conditions of the stream. Some spots I'll toss a cast or two in, then move on. Others will require a bit more investment of time. I'll often stop and just soak in the scenery or watch a bird go by, or tug on my flask of single malt or re-light my cigar, or take a pee.

I'm not on the river to win a race, that's for sure.

Edited by user Thursday, April 4, 2019 7:54:33 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Added some verbage.

Bob Williams, "Weiliwen"
Gurth  
#3 Posted : Thursday, April 4, 2019 7:58:49 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 163 time(s) in 129 post(s)
I go at a slower pace than anyone I’ve ever fished with.

Stamina is not an issue. I’m in good (enough) shape.

I just like to make sure I’ve thought out and exhausted a lie or spot before I move on.

I’m never in a hurry unless I’m up against the clock or the daylight and want to get to a certain spot before I’m out of time.
“Harvest eaters... release trophies.” -Gurth
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
RadRedJaw  
#4 Posted : Thursday, April 4, 2019 8:05:31 PM(UTC)
RadRedJaw

Man
United States

Laugh That’s one way to go about it! My main concern (there should probably be no concerns in fishing) regarding speed is probably due to my overall newcomer status to trout fishing. I still feel like I haven’t found an incredible secret honey hole, and the sooner the better! I also wonder if I will keep up with friends on trips if I don’t know their style.

I suppose it’s a lot like disc golf. I don’t dawdle unless something extraordinary is taking place, but I have been passed by groups of 4 guys out there just chuckin’ em.
Is the opposite of a gut buster a butt guster?
fifly333  
#5 Posted : Thursday, April 4, 2019 8:37:33 PM(UTC)
fifly333

Man

For myself it takes me long to go from one spot to another. Now I take my grandson and he can work an area over for the longest time. After he cover every square inch of a pool he will work it again just to make sure he did not miss anything.
shebs  
#6 Posted : Thursday, April 4, 2019 8:40:55 PM(UTC)
shebs

Was thanked: 59 time(s) in 48 post(s)
It varies so much, but I usually cover 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile of water per hour. Faster if I'm hole hopping, and slower if the bite is hot. It really depends on conditions. Two guys means you move faster because you're both fishing at the same time, meaning you can work through a run or a hole twice as fast. A 3 mile section can take anywhere from 3 to 6 hours depending on how much catching is happening. This is spinner fishing, FYI, which is usually (though not always) quicker than fly fishing.
A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. ~Author Unknown
Modern Translation, with respect for the Notorious B.I.G. : "Fuck Money, Get Fishes"
NBrevitz  
#7 Posted : Thursday, April 4, 2019 10:41:39 PM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 69 time(s) in 56 post(s)
Originally Posted by: RadRedJaw Go to Quoted Post
I know everybody has their own pace, rhythm and capabilities, so this may not pertain to everyone, BUT how many MPH do you typically fish? Yesterday I spent 2-3 hours wading 1500 feet of stream on a decent bite. I was throwing rapalas and Mepps - not sure if fly guys could cover more water or not. The bottom was a bit mucky and I forgot my walking stick OhMyGod so all in all I wasn’t trying to hurry.

Anyhow I bring this up for 2 reasons
1 - it seems a bit slow for a healthy 29 year old guy
2 - I’ve got my eyes on a 3 mile stretch near a buddies house

At least for summer fishing, that pace seems exceptionally slow for my taste as a spin fisher. I've covered up to 5 miles in a 7 hour fish. This obviously is dependant on many factors. Mucky bottoms, deep spots that take a while to wade through, exceptionally fast fishing... But unless I'm fishing a huge river up north where it takes 20 casts to effectively cover a riffle, I generally try to cover at least half a mile per hour when I'm spin fishing. If its slower than that because of a hot bite, or I spotted a big fish I want a second shot at... Then thats ok too.
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
mmalyuk  
#8 Posted : Thursday, April 4, 2019 10:58:47 PM(UTC)
mmalyuk

Was thanked: 32 time(s) in 22 post(s)
RadRedJaw that sounds very slow to me also for tossing spinners and raps.
madguy30  
#9 Posted : Friday, April 5, 2019 1:56:56 AM(UTC)
madguy30

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 12 post(s)
I actually fish faster if I'm fishing with hoppers in the summer. That's usually just getting a fix in the summer time and seeing if there's a few fish around while I basically hike around.

In the spring I find myself standing at a pool sometimes for a couple of hours if I'm entertained one way or another. Terribly tied griffiths gnats or ugly scud/nymphs of some sort keep fish around and if not there's all stuff spring brings keeping me happy.

I know when I spinner fished several years ago I'd fish way faster.
s.t.fanatic  
#10 Posted : Friday, April 5, 2019 2:24:51 PM(UTC)
s.t.fanatic

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 16 post(s)
I cover a lot of ground UNTIL I find a big fish. I have found big fish before that I will camp out on for a half hour casting and changing lures/retrieval rates/styles. Many times I can get them to finally get pissed off enough that they take but sometimes they don't. Usually I get them to swipe at the lure once every 4-5 casts. I have a high level of energy and can cover up to several miles in a full day of fishing. When I'm out there I'm after a big fish. I'm not there to just enjoy the scenery and the time spent on the water. I do but...