Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Cdoyb  
#1 Posted : Friday, April 5, 2019 4:48:23 PM(UTC)
Cdoyb

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I'd love to hear opinions about these potential leader and eye saving devices.
Sponsor
weiliwen  
#2 Posted : Friday, April 5, 2019 5:16:45 PM(UTC)
weiliwen

Man
United States
Location: Madison, Wisconsin during the week and Lincolnshire, Illinois on weekends.

Was thanked: 36 time(s) in 30 post(s)
In answer to your title, both! I like them and don't find any issue with weight or hinging, and they're good for attaching a second fly. I'm usually using the tippet ring that comes stock on the end of my furled leader. But I also use them when I use a tapered leader, once it's been chewed down to about 6 feet long.

My issue with them is that I've come across batches of them that had sharpish edges, so I'd lose a lot of flies because the tippet knot got cut by the ring. Curiously, my high-dollar Orvis tippet rings were the main offender; I got some cheapo tippet rings off eBay that worked just fine.
Bob Williams, "Weiliwen"
William Schlafer  
#3 Posted : Friday, April 5, 2019 11:33:41 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 122 time(s) in 101 post(s)
Love em!

I reluctantly gave them a go last year after the price of leaders sky rocketed and couldn't be happier I did. I can now get through an entire season with a just a few leaders and a inexpensive roll of tippet material. So much easier to just add a bit of tippet than swapping out an entire leader. You don't even notice the ring after awhile. Just be careful to not add too much tippet length. Depending upon leader size and length, an excessively long tippet can screw up your casts and cause wind knots. I've found a 7.5' leader with 12" - 18" of tippet is just about right for the small streams I prefer to fish. When streamer or hopper fishing, I'll shorten a 3X leader to 6' and add my length of 3X tippet. Shorter leaders are easier to cast accurately.

I'll second what Weilwen said, watch out for rings with rough edges. I've been using Rio brand rings in 2mm size. I bought a pack with 10 rings a couple years ago, and I still have seven left after many fishing trips. If you get a break, it usually occurs on the tippet, so the rings last as long as the leader in most cases. And, you can reuse them when it's time to put on a new leader.

Tim Flagler over at TightLine Productions makes a good pitch and as usual, gives some good tips for handling and using them:

Put a ring on it!

-Bill

Edited by user Friday, April 5, 2019 11:38:39 PM(UTC)  | Reason: added text

“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
MN Driftless  
#4 Posted : Saturday, April 6, 2019 11:43:11 AM(UTC)
MN Driftless

Man
United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I'm a big fan. I happen to out fit many of my leaders with them (I happen to like the Rio tippet rings best). As stated prior, they are great for saving leaders in a market that is hugely overpriced to begin with. I like the fact that I can change tippets quickly and easily. A buddy of mine has started using the swivels as he likes to pitch streamers and then nymph rig. That system seems to work pretty well also for going back and forth between setups.
Hoggies  
#5 Posted : Saturday, April 6, 2019 1:12:56 PM(UTC)
Hoggies

Man
United States

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 9 post(s)
I like em. They don't seems to have affected my dismal catch rate.

On the micro swivel tip, somebody on FB recommended using them between leader and tippet to fish poppers and anything else that gets stripped and jerked aggressively to control line twist. I'll give it a shot.
OTC_MN  
#6 Posted : Saturday, April 6, 2019 9:23:59 PM(UTC)
OTC_MN

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 27 post(s)
Love 'em. Use them all the time. Tie them on the end of my sighter on Euro nymphing rigs, on regular tapered leaders to attach tippet, on the ends of versi-leaders streamer fishing... I've not had any issues with sharp edges. I think most of the ones I have are 2 mm Rios.
"Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish."
- Roderick Haig-Brown