Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Gurth  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, April 9, 2019 2:16:43 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 103 time(s) in 82 post(s)
You can offer your input here:

Online Survey

Several trout issues, especially for waters in the SW corner.

Most importantly though... support the Hickory Nut!
“Harvest eaters... release trophies.” -Gurth
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
Sponsor
NBrevitz  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, April 10, 2019 6:53:52 AM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 48 time(s) in 39 post(s)
Dammit, I was hoping for a comment section. I’m about ready to wring the neck of whoever is in charge of stocking a particular County.

“Yeah, you see this cold as all hell stream where the Brook Trout are freakin huge and outcompeting Browns? We’re gonna cease stocking fingerling wild strain Brookies, and dump 3000 fingerling Timber Coulee strain Browns instead. Because we’re brilliant.”

I rarely criticize the DNR, but what in the actual hell is going on with that guy’s brain? This stream is ice cold and the Brookies are outcompeting the Browns. Leave them ALONE. Browns take over enough shit as it is, don’t freakin help the cold water Carp!
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
NBrevitz  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, April 10, 2019 6:55:10 AM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

That said, I liked most of the proposals. I’d like to see fish sanctuaries at known Sturgeon spawning sites, glad they’re talking about extending them through the entire spawn.
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
trapper  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, April 10, 2019 9:58:24 AM(UTC)
trapper

Was thanked: 32 time(s) in 28 post(s)
Originally Posted by: NBrevitz Go to Quoted Post
Dammit, I was hoping for a comment section. I’m about ready to wring the neck of whoever is in charge of stocking a particular County.

“Yeah, you see this cold as all hell stream where the Brook Trout are freakin huge and outcompeting Browns? We’re gonna cease stocking fingerling wild strain Brookies, and dump 3000 fingerling Timber Coulee strain Browns instead. Because we’re brilliant.”

I rarely criticize the DNR, but what in the actual hell is going on with that guy’s brain? This stream is ice cold and the Brookies are outcompeting the Browns. Leave them ALONE. Browns take over enough shit as it is, don’t freakin help the cold water Carp!

Ask for an appointment with the Biologist that supports this stocking. I will go along- this would be very interesting
Get Reel
Gurth  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, April 10, 2019 10:24:02 AM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

I email a couple of my biologists down here from time to time. I believe they are required to respond.

Email yours.

https://dnr.wi.gov/topic...fisheriesbiologists.html

And stop calling them cold water carp! Mad

Flapper

Edited by user Wednesday, April 10, 2019 10:26:25 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

draik11  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, April 10, 2019 2:23:26 PM(UTC)
draik11

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 9 post(s)
I was pleasantly surprised with many of the fishing questions. I'm glad I took the time to do the survey and I hope everyone else does to.

Yes...I voted in favor for the hickory nut.
NBrevitz  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, April 10, 2019 2:48:22 PM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Originally Posted by: Gurth Go to Quoted Post
I email a couple of my biologists down here from time to time. I believe they are required to respond.

Email yours.

https://dnr.wi.gov/topic...fisheriesbiologists.html

And stop calling them cold water carp! Mad

Flapper

I guess I shouldn’t call them that in this instance. They didn’t choose to be thrown into that sandy/mucky swamp watercourse. The Brookies definitely outcompete them on the upper end, but... My two biggest Browns came from that stream. Apparently a few find a niche. I don’t mind them being around all that much, they just don’t need any help, and it doesn’t make any sense. This stream isn’t exactly ideal for Browns, it’s damn near ideal for Brookies. It’s cold for the first 8-9 miles, mostly public land or small private parcels, so it’s protected from development... There’s just no need.

I’ve fished that stream probably 10 times, with 4 Brookies 15-17.5, and the two aforementioned Browns. Oh and a Tiger. ALL on different trips. It’s a cool spot. Temps rarely hit the upper 60s until you get 2-3 miles from the mouth, where it’s just too slow. It should be very resilient to climate change.
NBrevitz  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, April 10, 2019 2:55:24 PM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Trap

I’d do that but I’m not sure it’s all the biologist’s doing. I’m convinced the hatcheries produce too many fish for our area and they’re essentially forced to throw them somewhere. I’ll email him and feel it out.

I’ll take you to this one this summer. It’s a tough wade at first but if you’re willing to do 2-3 miles, we’ll probably find a few bigs.
Gurth  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, April 10, 2019 3:12:44 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

I just like to poke you brook trout enthusiasts a bit.

I'm actually with you guys in instances like this and I voted in favor of the items that were designed to help brookies.

I'd be happy about those two big browns though. It's funny as I get excited for unexpected fish – brookies in brown water… browns in brookie water… non-brood bows anywhere… a pike or bass on a trout stream... a trout in bass water. I realize that many do not share my excitement. To each their own.

Your stream sounds like a place that is conducive to big fish development. Probably lots of forage.

Regarding browns though… they are still trout and they are gorgeous and great fighters. Their ambush strikes remind me of bass sometimes and the darting back and forth on the line in small water with a 5-6 pound fish is such a rush. My favorite fish to hunt.

I'm already antsy for a planned foray to a new stretch of a marginal section of a trout stream this weekend. Looks like perfect big fish water from space (satellite) and it's in a marshy area with other more trouty water including tourist magnates in the vicinity, so I doubt this stretch gets fished much.

Cannot wait.
Gurth  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, April 10, 2019 3:27:20 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

My thoughts on supporting the brook trout items followed this line…

At first… No. I've caught 18+ browns in those streams and I still want that possibility, even though it's unlikely and uncommon.

Then I thought… well… those really aren't the places I'd go looking for big browns. I have many that are better suited for them and where it's more likely that they live and where I'll find them.

With that in mind, these smaller brookie conducive environments should be set aside as such and helped out.

I have plenty of great brown water elsewhere.

Voted Yes.